Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Annual Service Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO they're gonna half to to back down on this. If you've paid $600 per visit for "maintenance" and the only appreciable thing they do in the maintenance plan is rotate tires, then it shouldn't matter who you bought the tires from. Of course, it would be different for someone who doesn't have the maintenance plan. Then I could see them only providing rotations to customers who bought tires from them. This is how most tire dealers operate (i.e. they'll rotate tires you bought from them for free, but not tires you got someplace else).

That is my opinion too and it seems they agree as they have answered my questioning on this by
I’ve escalate the situation to the Toronto manager.
For the seasonal tire swap, if you get non OEM tires, it will be ok for us to do the rotation.

That list is great, thanks!

Interesting that it does not mention wheel alignment. That is specifically listed in the service agreement that comes up from the purchase page: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...hments/na_tesla_service_plan_agreement_ot.pdf

Of course they also say, "subject to change by Tesla at any time and without notice, in its sole discretion" but that is a pretty important thing to remove, and leaves pretty much just tire rotation and inspection for $600.

OMG they are basically charging $600 for a coolant change! The rest of these things are normal dealer filler items and don't require anything special (or even need to be done to maintain warranty). This is a heavy vehicle but proper selection on their initial design should have used brakes that last longer than a year.

I'll really be interested in monitoring my pads and rotors to see wear.

Wonder what is so hard about the coolant change. The old days of simply turning a stop cock or removing the lower hose on the radiator are gone but $600, really?

I bought the package literally hours before Elon said it was no longer compulsory to maintain the warranty. Mine is going in on the 18th for it's first "annual" along with a list of issues that I've been saving up.

Initially they said it was the only way to get "software and hardware updates" done to the car, so what I'd like to know is whether all of the folks who've been posting about repair visits that include a lot of TSB work and other "upgrades" like the front defroster have the maintenance package or not. If not, I'm a little ticked that people are getting for "free" what I pay $600 a pop for. The only real work they do (other than this TSB stuff) is rotating the tires and changing the wiper blades.

Service bulletins are applied to all vehicles covered under the warranty, it makes no difference if you have the service plan. The only purpose in purchasing the service plan was to get a discount of $125 on each annual visit. Otherwise you can pay $600 at the door and get the same service. The primary benefit of the annual service (whether pre-paid or not) is the vehicle inspection. If you feel confident that you can spot a problem with the battery enclosure, coolant lines, rear undercarriage as well as the drive unit by inspecting your own vehicle, then you don't need the service. Those of us who would rather err on the side of caution by having our vehicles pro-actively inspected, including all of the EV components that few of us know anything about find value in the annual service.

Service bulletins are applied to all vehicles covered under the warranty, it makes no difference if you have the service plan. The only purpose in purchasing the service plan was to get a discount of $125 on each annual visit. Otherwise you can pay $600 at the door and get the same service. The primary benefit of the annual service (whether pre-paid or not) is the vehicle inspection. If you feel confident that you can spot a problem with the battery enclosure, coolant lines, rear undercarriage as well as the drive unit by inspecting your own vehicle, then you don't need the service. Those of us who would rather err on the side of caution by having our vehicles pro-actively inspected, including all of the EV components that few of us know anything about find value in the annual service.

I absolutely agree with this (I pre-paid for 8 years) BUT I was originally told that ONLY folks who had the annual inspections done would be eligible for "hardware and software" upgrades. There was even quite a debate at the time over whether or not Tesla would push out new firmware features to you if you weren't on the Plan. This wasn't my only reason for signing up, but it did make the $600 / visit a little more palatable.

I just had mine in for it's FIRST service at 23k miles. The work order was like 6 or 7 pages long of like 18 different items including lots of TSBs. So yeah, I think $600 is ok for it. If you had an ICE car and got synthentic oil changed every 3k miles it probably works out to be the same, minus the free software and hardware upgrades and awesome service that Tesla dishes out ;)

I absolutely agree with this (I pre-paid for 8 years) BUT I was originally told that ONLY folks who had the annual inspections done would be eligible for "hardware and software" upgrades. There was even quite a debate at the time over whether or not Tesla would push out new firmware features to you if you weren't on the Plan. This wasn't my only reason for signing up, but it did make the $600 / visit a little more palatable.

I did the same thing.
i think it was almost already worth it-
At my 1 year service I got new rear seatbelt brackets new front disc brakes and pads + all of the Svc updates, new floor mats and a pretty good detailing. I refused a loaner ICE since all of the S loaners were out/being sold too fast. it took several days of actual working on it + they picked up and dropped off my car (with no ranger service or charge) 250 miles each way!

I did the same thing.
i think it was almost already worth it-
At my 1 year service I got new rear seatbelt brackets new front disc brakes and pads + all of the Svc updates, new floor mats and a pretty good detailing. I refused a loaner ICE since all of the S loaners were out/being sold too fast. it took several days of actual working on it + they picked up and dropped off my car (with no ranger service or charge) 250 miles each way!

What I wonder, though is whether people who did not pre-pay (or pay at the door) for inspections are getting these updates, new floor mats etc. etc. just by showing up and asking? If so, I'm not feeling so good about having shelled out for 8 visits since when I purchased, I was told it was the only way to get these things.

The answer is yes. I do not have a service plan, was contacted for new 12v battery, mats, and service upgrades (windows, panoramic roof issues, etc) that were set up for early delivery cars from last year. Nice loaner too. Great company, my experience made me want to bring the car in eventually for inspection at my own cost.

What I wonder, though is whether people who did not pre-pay (or pay at the door) for inspections are getting these updates, new floor mats etc. etc. just by showing up and asking? If so, I'm not feeling so good about having shelled out for 8 visits since when I purchased, I was told it was the only way to get these things.

Phoenix service center set up a temporary facility for a few days in Tucson and applied service bulletins to as many Model S vehicles as they could in that area. Owners were notified and scheduled. This is all covered under the warranty and had nothing to do with the annual service plan. My vehicle went to service for a tire change, but came back with a new motor/inverter and a host of service bulletins applied while the car was in the shop. It was fully inspected and other issues that I wasn't aware of were found. I have not spent a dime on any service plan up to that point.

However, the fact that they found items that were not readily observable or symptomatically obvious to the driver made me pull the trigger on the pre-paid service plan. I decided after my first service experience to have the vehicle inspected annually, and if I'm going to do that I might as well get the discount by pre-paying. This is a complex vehicle. Nobody other than Tesla would have been able to diagnose the issues that they found, and the only reason they diagnosed those problems was because the car was there for something else. Well, if the car is running just fine and nothing breaks, then I would have no reason to take the car for service - meaning I could have a latent problem that is getting worse, but that I nor anyone else knows about. If I take the car in annually for service, then it will get a thorough inspection and problems addressed.

If I don't know what to look at or how to diagnose issues with a 100% EV, my car is running fine by all accounts and I have no reason to take it to service for a warranty issue, then how would I know that something could potentially be wrong unless someone inspects the systems?

Phoenix service center set up a temporary facility for a few days in Tucson and applied service bulletins to as many Model S vehicles as they could in that area. Owners were notified and scheduled.

Interesting. As far as I know, they've done nothing like this in Toronto. I was told I'd be called about the defroster retrofit and my missing visor mirrors, but that never happened. I have about two pages of issues I'm asking them to look at when my car goes in, and a number of them are well known (steering "snap" sound, air leak around the little triangle glass on the door etc.). The only two I consider "major" are the alignment / freeway "wobble" and the increasingly irritating drivetrain drone noise. The rest are just minor niggles like binding rear seat belts (hardly have anyone in the back), tail light condensation and so forth.

I'm not sorry that I bought the pre-paid inspection plan, but have to admit to being a little put out by the earlier claims from Tesla that the only way you'd get any future updates was if you pre-paid or paid at the door for inspections. I think inspections are worth doing on a car this complex, but I seriously question $600 based on the checklist that has been posted elsewhere. As you say, any problems they find are warranty and not related to the inspection fee anyway.

Ok so I'm pretty anal on $ (cheap). After cooling down I remembered researching an aston martin vanquish one year. I found that the front brake pads alone were $800 and they needed replacement every 2-3kmiles. Very heavy vehicle. This was from the parts and service depts in Broomfield CO. I just called my local Kuni BMW to ask about maintenance plans and brake parts. I referenced a 750i. The finance guy says basic warranty and maintenance is covered by your initial purchase for 4 yrs. Their contract is for an additional 2 years. It was $2500. Covers parts and service. Only thing it doesn't cover is tires. Amazingly expensive for brake jobs on these fine vehicles. Brake parts on a typical 750 is over $1300 for front and rear rotors and pads. And they need them done much more frequently than your average Kia. This doesn't include labor. I guess the cost for our cars is much more acceptable than I initial thought and I will be buying the plan. Being a research fiend can be both a blessing and a curse (at least until I figure it out). I track an NSX (not very well mind you) and the annual maintenance costs are almost nothing (unless I hit something or toast my brakes). No used to having to pay maintenance to anyone for anything.

Ok, you can all go back to your desks!

Point of clarification:

You get to choose (a) cheaper annual inspections ("bulk pack of 4") or (b) unlimited ranger visits ("pay for 4 annuals, but not discounted"). Not both.

Yes. You effectively get a discount if you buy a "inspection-only" plan and pay more for "unlimited ranger" plans due to the added value of ranger service. I thought this was both logical and obvious.

Not sure why it needed clarification.

You get to choose (a) cheaper annual inspections ("bulk pack of 4") or (b) unlimited ranger visits ("pay for 4 annuals, but not discounted"). Not both.

I live about 4 miles from the Toronto Service Center, so didn't go for the Ranger option... just bought 8 years of inspections (figuring I'll get 4 years out of it because I hit the mileage limit about every 6 months).

Question: Do you get the Valet Service without the Ranger option? I don't really care being so close to the SC but am curious.

So if you could do it all over again at today's pricing, would which Service Plan would you choose?

A) None (pay as you go)
B) 4-Year Plan
C) 4-Year +4 Year Extension

IMHO, the need for Ranger service would be dictated by an owner's distance from their Tesla Service Center (for most people).

I think I'd do the 4+4 again, although I wouldn't bother buying ranger service this time. I have no idea why I bought it when they'll come pick my car up free of charge.

So if you could do it all over again at today's pricing, would which Service Plan would you choose?

A) None (pay as you go)
B) 4-Year Plan
C) 4-Year +4 Year Extension

IMHO, the need for Ranger service would be dictated by an owner's distance from their Tesla Service Center (for most people).