Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s 70D with 90kw battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC forums! I wanted to ask about a tesla model s 2016 October which was on carfax as a 70d but it has a 90kw battery for sure. Can someone inform me about what happened? I really appreciate any insight. Is there a way to verify in person that it is a 90kw battery if it is software locked?

Each car has a battery sticker behind front right wheel liner, easy to see if steering has turned far left. It states the size of the battery and the part/serial number. If it’s original then the serial number should also reflect the manufacturing time, like for that specific 2016 car you will see T16Jxxxxxxx. The letter right after the year is the month it was produced. Upper section of the label should state the size and voltage of it (if this is not seen then it’s behind the liner).
If you see the larger battery number on the main screens then it’s either rooted car or Tesla has changed out the original battery and also changed the internal settings. If it’s software locked you should see the original (smaller) size on the screens.
Can you take a photo and post it here?

Reactions: evo9rs
Upvote 0
The other possible explanation is that they simply messed up the listing and incorrectly identified a true 90D as a 70D. I recently sold my mid-2016 MS90D via a service similar to Carfax (actually a KBB associated dealer). Shortly after I sold it, I checked the dealer website and found they had my car listed for sale as a 70D. This can easily happen if they've used something like a VIN look-up site to generate details for the listing as there really is nothing in the VIN that will identify the battery pack size.

As others have said, if you have access to the car you can actually check the part number label on the battery pack directly, plus check what is actually displayed on the screens in the car.

Reactions: evo9rs
Upvote 0
If I charge the car to 100% and it’s software locked, would the battery be degraded because I heard elsewhere that if a battery is software locked it’ll slowly start allowing you to use more capacity to match the amount of degredation. Also how is the reliability between the 75 and 90 battery?

Upvote 0
Oct 2016 would have been 75d, so def sounds like typical Carfax error, since VIN doesn't contain HV pack size...
If the IC says 75d then its software locked, if 90d then its not

because I heard elsewhere that if a battery is software locked it’ll slowly start allowing you to use more capacity to match the amount of degredation.
Common misconception...
Its a flat percentage lock of available capacity so as battery degrades ur locked capacity degrades too
Only benefit of locked battery is u can charge to 100% all the time, cause its not True 100%...

Upvote 0
Oct 2016 would have been 75d, so def sounds like typical Carfax error, since VIN doesn't contain HV pack size...
If the IC says 75d then its software locked, if 90d then its not

Common misconception...
Its a flat percentage lock of available capacity so as battery degrades ur locked capacity degrades too
Only benefit of locked battery is u can charge to 100% all the time, cause its not True 100%...
Would supercharging speed taper off as it reaches 100% the same as it would a 75 kwh battery?

Upvote 0
it would taper also but overall speed would be faster a bit in soft locked battery due to being farther away from true 100%
How is the reliability of 90KW batteries in a facelifted model s 2016 90D relative to other capacities?

Did the reliability of batteries in 2016 fluctuate noticeably over the course of the year?

Is the reliability between a facelifted 2016 model s 90D very different from a 2018 model s 90D?

I appreciate the advice

Upvote 0
Sounds like a car that had battery replaced (under warranty) to the 350v / 88kwh battery (prev known as 85kwh, now known as 90kwh battery)… this battery is a tank and will last.
The car has 7.5 years of wear and tear on it, so stuff may go bad… maybe not, that’s why you get to pay used car prices. But, at the right price, could be a great deal! (Put a link here, and if no one else buys it, it wasn’t a good deal :)

Upvote 0
How is the reliability of 90KW batteries in a facelifted model s 2016 90D relative to other capacities?

Did the reliability of batteries in 2016 fluctuate noticeably over the course of the year?

Is the reliability between a facelifted 2016 model s 90D very different from a 2018 model s 90D?

I appreciate the advice
See my comment in your other thread.

Upvote 0

I appreciate the advice
i have no issues with mine, besides capacity in general (~76kwh left, ~9% degradation)
this was miss-advertised from the start for most packs besides 100kwh. 90 was only 82 in reality...
best way is to ck part number, v3 starts with 108* (this is for original 400v pack)

per wk057 (who used to be the guru with HV packs on here), reliability of all packs got fixed somewhere in late 2015 i think
100kwh seems to be most reliable tho..

there were no 2018 90Ds i think, pretty sure they ended in early 2017...

Upvote 0
Looks like you have a similar post elsewhere on TMC. First, make sure it indeed has free unlimited supercharging for life (SC01) if that's what's your interested in. With recent Tesla FUSC transfer offers many new buyers can be misled that the car indeed has FUSC4LIFE.

As far as degradation, absent any outliers, all Tesla's have shown probably less than 25% degradation. All that matters to nothing if the HV pack fails due to non degradation (like mine did on my 2012 P85).

The hard truth is a replacement pack can be more than the car's worth. These are expensive cars to maintain. Set aside $20k USD for maintenance in an interest bearing account. If you can't do that you shouldn't be buying a car like this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What makes you think that anyone reading your posts has the time to search the internet for your asked request? Why haven’t you read any of the reply’s been given in this discussion and in others? That 90kWh battery on 2016 was one of the last installed version from factory as Tesla changed their lineup with 2017, to be only Standard range and Long range version. Of course there was some piled up orders needed to be produced on 2017 but this year was the change. I have battery from January 2016 on my 03/2016 (70D) car and first I was convinced it was v.3 production but later on, after I did some research found that it might actually be v.2 battery. Compared to the scenarios given here in the forum I find it having less degradation and have hold up very nicely (my warranty will end this March). And why haven’t you given any data from your side, what is on the battery label? Have you seen it? Without any data there is no possibility to give you any answer’s but assumptions.
Here in TMC is dedicated section regarding the subject of battery, I think you need to find the time to have a look.

Reactions: gaswalla
Upvote 0