Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model E prototype to be released in Detroit next year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would wish that they should it to their supporters/customers first. Detroit just wishes for the last 10 year that Tesla goes down. Why would you allow Detroit the pleasure to show the car there first? Let's hope that there is a customer event prior to Detroit.
Why!
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

I view the Detroit showing of a Model E prototype as a bold in your face move . . . and I'm guessing that the Tesla loyal will get a peek at the E at another Fremont event like we've attended before.

I'd be quite happy if the Model E looked something like this:

TeslaEE.jpg

But I could handle it if I looked like this:

TeslaE.jpg

Or maybe like this:

ModelEEE.jpg

Surely the Model E will draw a lot of design cues from the Model S; certainly the Model X did. One of the Model S's strengths is that it looks like a conventional car--strongly on the beautiful side of conventional, but not like something out of a sci-fi novel. I'd be very surprised if the Model E went in a different direction.

Surely the Model E will draw a lot of design cues from the Model S; certainly the Model X did. One of the Model S's strengths is that it looks like a conventional car--strongly on the beautiful side of conventional, but not like something out of a sci-fi novel. I'd be very surprised if the Model E went in a different direction.

they have said before that it will have a more unique look to it... Or something along those lines. They didn't want to be like Audi where the front of all of their vehicles all looked identical. So I would expect a different design. However! That does not mean that they will make it a crazy weird design. It could still look like a "normal" car without it also looking like the S.

Economics and engineering dominate in car design. That is why all cars look similar. If Tesla keeps the battery under the car, this forces a small car to have a stubby look due to the extra six inches needed for identical head room. Tesla does have more storage room options than other cars but still needs the frunk for a crumple zone. Air suspension is too expensive for the base model. Franz will hide the stubbiness and give us a great design again. With a great design hand even the i3 could be beautiful.

Economics and engineering dominate in car design. That is why all cars look similar. If Tesla keeps the battery under the car, this forces a small car to have a stubby look due to the extra six inches needed for identical head room. Tesla does have more storage room options than other cars but still needs the frunk for a crumple zone. Air suspension is too expensive for the base model. Franz will hide the stubbiness and give us a great design again. With a great design hand even the i3 could be beautiful.

Yes - and didn't they say it will look very similar just being a bit smaller? (Which would work really well for the (too) narrow entrance to my property...)

Talked with a Tesla rep at the NAIAS last night. He indicated the car would probably be about the size of a Toyota Camry, but that you would definitely recognize it as a Tesla.

Length
Model S= 196"
Camry= 189.2"
BMW Series 3= 182.5"

Elon usually mentions the BMW Series 3 so the Camry would be larger then many are thinking. Then again it is all guess work now.

Talked with a Tesla rep at the NAIAS last night. He indicated the car would probably be about the size of a Toyota Camry, but that you would definitely recognize it as a Tesla.

hmmmm so then maybe they have decided to stick with "similar" looks across their platforms... I am a little sad by this, because I would love to have something that makes them all look and feel unique, but still cool looking. Which is what I thought they had indicated they were going to do. Please don't pull an Audi... sigh... all their cars look. the. same.

When I placed a deposit for the Model S in 2009 i thought that its looks were stunning. I still like the looks, but it's lines have been copied time and again and doesn't appear as avant garde. I hope that the Model E will be beyond the cutting edge of stylistic innovation when it first appears in 2015. I recall that Franz indicated that Tesla was less apt to be as restrained by tradition with the Gen III. Hope so!

- - - Updated - - -

Robert, I have deep respect for your wisdom, but hope that the strong link between the Model S and X isn't so strong in the Model E. I think the Model X looks like a Model S mated with a blimp.

Last edited: