Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Unveiling and Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is more likely to be 60kwh or maybe 55, the 3 has more steel in the body but we won't know the battery weight/density, which could be significantly better then the model S, till probably after we know the capacities anyway. Lots of other complications as well.

Note the rear motor 70 has a range of 420km, the 70D is 442km.

Here is a few more "in the wild" shots from today. I'm liking the front end hopefully it doesn't get changed too much before production!

NZQ3nWw.jpg

Tkj4mLz.jpg

Based on the Model S battery pack configurations for non-performance cars

70kWh range 442km
90kWh range 550km

The smallest battery for Model 3 - range 345km would be a 50kWh pack
Note that these are NEDC ratings. The 215 miles quoted by Elon are likely based on EPA ratings which are typically lower. For example, the Model S 70 is EPA-rated at 230 miles (370km), barely higher than the base Model 3.

So it seems the 3 has a battery below 60kwh. Given the lower drag of a 3 compared to probably most other EV's this is not surprising especially as the S has improved with the new design.

As Part of Negative UBS Analysis Of Tesla Profitability, We Learn Entry-Level Tesla Model 3 Will Ship With Sub-60 kWh Battery

Some other interesting points in the article but I think they overlooked that GM has indicated they are buying batteries at $145/kWh and the gigafactory is intended to cutout most of the supplier margins for battery supply and be around or below $100/kWh.

On the margins they also did not mention they operate more like apple with the entry margin being low but much higher margins for options and the early production will focus on higher price models like X and S had. Eg if the battery is $190/kWh then the 70 to 90 upgrade is costing less than $3800USD but they charge $13000, I am sure the larger battery option for the 3 will have a similar markup eg a 55 to 65 upgrade will be at least a $5000USD option.

Last edited: