Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Mirrors and car wash mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did my first manual car wash after setting car wash mode. I didn't experiment with it, but the mirrors were not folded. I would think that would be a must. Is it supposed to fold them or is it expected that driver would do that manually?

I just did my first manual car wash after setting car wash mode. I didn't experiment with it, but the mirrors were not folded. I would think that would be a must. Is it supposed to fold them or is it expected that driver would do that manually?
There's a button on the carwash mode screen that says "Fold Mirrors" that you can press. I prefer it to not be fully automated because I manually unfold them after the side spinny brushes have made their pass. This allows for the rinse to be more thorough on them which eliminates the issue of soap and water still on the mirror after I exit. YMMV

Alternatively, if you would prefer them to just be folded the entire time you can fold them from the mirrors screen and then have it remember your carwash location for future visits. I like that we have options though as what works best for you and your carwash may not work best for me and mine.

I, for one, prefer this approach than just lumping everything into the same mode. Heck, even the various car washes I use have differing methods and performance so I can adjust my process as necessary for each one. The most stuff that gets rolled into the carwash mode the less we can tweak it where we need to.

I would also like to see a window override option that allows one to roll down the driver window with maybe a screen button press in the carwash mode or something. Occasionally, the carwash attendant will stop the conveyor system and ask us to roll down the window to ask a question. This creates a massive problem the way carwash mode is currently spec'd and is an example of how having everything lumped into one mode w/o option can create issue for outlier cases.

Upvote 0
On some models, it is a separate button in the Car Wash Mode you press to fold mirrors. Also Free Wheel Mode is a separate selection on the Car Wash Screen for washes that have the conveyor. Unfortunately, I do not have this feature on my 2020.
Ah, I wasn't aware. I have freewheel mode but, in my experience, this can be VERY temperamental dependent on the different types of conveyor systems that automatic car washes can have. I've found that, the easiest way w/o knowing what's what is to simple put it in carwash mode and then, instead if engaging freewheel mode you can lightly press up on the stalk (assuming your car has one) to access "N" which will freewheel fine regardless of conveyor type. Best of both worlds and makes carwash trips less stressful and more worry-free.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0

I only wash mine at home by hand. I have it set to fold mirrors at "home" so when I back out of the garage the mirrors are still folded. After turning on the music on the megaphone, i set to car wash mode, and have to unfold the mirrors.

Upvote 0