Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto fold mirrors outside garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my car gets near the garage it’s set to auto fold in.
But after I leave the garage and the garage door auto closes, the mirrors don’t unfold out. I need to press the button to unfold them.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the tips!

You have to be far enough away for the car to know that you're not at home anymore. It's about 40-50 feet for me.
I'd say closer to 100' from the garage, but yea. Mirrors fold and unfold using your proximity from home via the GPS.

From Tesla: When you leave the saved location, mirrors remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h), or until you touch Controls > Unfold Mirrors.
I'll bet that's old. I'm doing 15mph to 20mph when mine unfold. There is a 90* turn right away.

This problem has been bothering me since the beginning of my adventure with Tesla. I have a narrow garage door so this topic is important to me and I finally decided to be more careful and leave the garage with the mirrors folded out.

My 2023 Model S is set to fold the mirrors when I approach my garage, and that works 100% of the time. The mirrors are supposed to unfold when I leave my garage, and sometimes they do right away, sometimes they do further away, and sometimes not at all. My 2018 Model S did not have that issue.

If you want your mirrors to unfold as soon as you put the car in gear, enable the Mirrors Auto Fold option. I don’t do that because I don’t want my mirrors to unfold before I back out of the garage.