Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Met the X" yesterday...meh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I give up on trying to explain why the X doesn't fit my needs. It's great if you have kids or need instant torque but that's not what I need. I need room for large dogs and dog crates and sometimes other larger purchases. AFAIK, the X doesn't have that room. I've unsubscribed from X threads...and will probably be canceling my X reservation.

I know how you feel. I know a number of members did the same in the earlier days of the X to get away from the folks constantly putting them down and dismissing their needs or opinions. Some, sadly, have not returned.

Do what works for you. I think tesla will eventually come out with foldable seats, but for us we needed to replace our leased Q7 sooner than later so are sticking with the X (while not turning a blind eye to its limitations )

I understand what everyone is saying about the hauling capacity of the X and if you need to load it up with stuff and that stuff will not fit, then it will not work for you. I to agree that the biggest negative for me is the lack 2nd row folding seats, having said that not sure even if they did fold all that stuff will fit. I guess I'm lucky to have a truck to haul that stuff, I do lots of landscaping, wood working and dump runs and none of that would every go into my Ml430 or the X. Once I have the X for a few months I might buy a single axle dump trailer and dump the truck, we will see.

Wife and I did the test drive. Take away here is buy the entry level car. Didn't feel like a 150k car. Maybe tires were over inflated but I could count the spots on the ladybug I crushed. Ludicrous was cool for 3 seconds. Rest of the time I'd be missing my money. Just my opinion, others may vary.

I give up on trying to explain why the X doesn't fit my needs. It's great if you have kids or need instant torque but that's not what I need. I need room for large dogs and dog crates and sometimes other larger purchases. AFAIK, the X doesn't have that room. I've unsubscribed from X threads...and will probably be canceling my X reservation.

Another point people don't think about is that a lot of people (especially me) plan to own this Model-X for 20+ years. While I plan to get Xpel + ceramic coating, wash it every weekend, avoid driving after a rain, keep it parked in a garage, etc. ... after 20+ years I don't expect to be babying it as much as when I first get it. I'll be less afraid to treat it as a regular car and I'll want it to be a practical vehicle.

I know how you feel. I know a number of members did the same in the earlier days of the X to get away from the folks constantly putting them down and dismissing their needs or opinions. Some, sadly, have not returned.

Do what works for you. I think tesla will eventually come out with foldable seats, but for us we needed to replace our leased Q7 sooner than later so are sticking with the X (while not turning a blind eye to its limitations )

I understand what everyone is saying about the hauling capacity of the X and if you need to load it up with stuff and that stuff will not fit, then it will not work for you. I to agree that the biggest negative for me is the lack 2nd row folding seats, having said that not sure even if they did fold all that stuff will fit. I guess I'm lucky to have a truck to haul that stuff, I do lots of landscaping, wood working and dump runs and none of that would every go into my Ml430 or the X. Once I have the X for a few months I might buy a single axle dump trailer and dump the truck, we will see.

I'm with the lot of you. :) I don't understand why some insist that you MUST make the X work for your needs. It's like telling someone with a small family that they should still buy a Roadster (rent if you need to load everyone up!).

We all have different needs in a vehicle. Acknowledging that others might have needs different than yours isn't a huge ask. Dismissing their needs as unfounded doesn't make you look good.

The Roadster was iconic because it demonstrated that an electric vehicle could perform and have range. But it didn't work for everyone. I didn't expect everyone who was supporting Tesla's mission to go out and buy one, that would have been beyond unrealistic.

So please give folks a break who say the X doesn't fit their needs. This is why Tesla will eventually have many models in their lineup. For EVs to be successful, they cannot be a compromise - they must be a legitimate choice for someone's lifestyle.

The X definitely doesn't fit the needs of everyone, and I would not argue that. However, I will argue that there is still a large market for this type of vehicle and I will push back when people say the car will not do well because of folding seats. Would it do even better with folding seats? I think so--but that's different than saying it will do poorly. Time will tell.

The X definitely doesn't fit the needs of everyone, and I would not argue that. However, I will argue that there is still a large market for this type of vehicle and I will push back when people say the car will not do well because of folding seats. Would it do even better with folding seats? I think so--but that's different than saying it will do poorly. Time will tell.

It won't take very long to tell. You can expect Tesla to come up with a new seat that folds if that is important enough (to be a deal breaker) for a lot of potential buyers. It's not that complicated. On the other hand Tesla did have focus groups when it designed the final version of X. Maybe there are not enough people who say this is a must have? And perhaps most people like the pedastal seat more than the bench seat? People kept on forgetting there is no such thing as a perfect car for everyone.

Last edited:
It won't take very long to tell. You can expect Tesla to come up with a new seat that folds if that is important enough (to be a deal breaker) for a lot of potential buyers. It's not that complicated. On the other hand Tesla did have focus groups when it designed the final version of X. Maybe there are not enough people who say this is a must have? And perhaps most people like the pedastal seat more than the bench seat? People kept on forgetting there is no such thing as a perfect car for everyone.
I agree and I think we are closer to this than we all think. Right now the conversation from reservation to order seems to be less than 25%. Not sure how much the utility question comes into that figure but I know its significant. And with reservations you are taking a user base that already accept Tesla for what it is so when you go to the average public, you will probably have even a bigger sell job to move them away from their ICE SUV to the Model X.

Also don't forget people always are conditioned to only accept what they have been used to. Not saying anyone needs to be forced to accept new things but eventually we might discover that it is not that bad, and maybe be even better than what we are used to when we start to look at the whole package. Giveing people some time to adjust to the people hauler concept and see how they feel. We can all go back to the days when Apple first introduced the iPhone and how people hated that they have to type on a small screen. Few would have believed one day this could become the standard of all hand held devices.

Also don't forget people always are conditioned to only accept what they have been used to. Not saying anyone needs to be forced to accept new things but eventually we might discover that it is not that bad, and maybe be even better than what we are used to when we start to look at the whole package. Giving people some time to adjust to the people hauler concept and see how they feel. We can all go back to the days when Apple first introduced the iPhone and how people hated that they have to type on a small screen. Few would have believed one day this could become the standard of all hand held devices.

Lack of folding 2nd row seats is more akin to Apple not providing cut 'n paste upon initial release, but eventually figuring it out and making it available on a software update. Physical and on-screen keyboard perform the same thing, so nothing functional was taken away. Not having folding seats is a critical function that has been taken away (like cut 'n paste). I'd like Tesla to make it available on the next software update.

Lack of folding 2nd row seats is more akin to Apple not providing cut 'n paste upon initial release, but eventually figuring it out and making it available on a software update. Physical and on-screen keyboard perform the same thing, so nothing functional was taken away. Not having folding seats is a critical function that has been taken away (like cut 'n paste). I'd like Tesla to make it available on the next software update.

I hear you but I have no concern about it at all. I have owned an MDX and before that a first gen Ford Explorere since 93' so I've lived with and know what a mid-sized SUV can and can not do. I'd just borrow or rent a truck or hire someone when very occasional needs of hauling big stuff arise. It's not like I can hual anything I want if the seat can fold either. I would end up still having to get a truck or have someone to do it for me. To me it is probably just a feel good or nice to have feature but not truly a must have. I'm sure Tesla would have one someday if a lot people absolutely want it but I'm not even sure it will be my first choice if and when it is available.