Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 S Owners: Logic FOR/AGAINST Tesla's $2,500 "Infotainment Upgrade"? (Not required for FSD)

MCU1 Owners - Will you opt for the $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade?

• I DO have the FSD package but will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I DO have the FSD package and WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have, nor am planning to buy, the FSD package but I WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and WILL opt for BOTH the Infotainment Upgrade and the FSD Upgrade.

• I prefer to KEEP my MCU1, even if it means replacing it with another MCU1.

• I DO have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I do NOT have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I own a S/X with MCU1 but NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

• I don't own a S/X with MCU1 so NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deftdawg and Viper, appreciate the insight. My current MCU is fine, I live in Portland, OR where temperatures are usually milder (and always have the AC on). I think it’s prudent to wait for the darn thing to fail, especially since I’m under warranty still.

What irks me is this cash grab Tesla is doing. They obviously do not like developing a second software set to work with MCU1’s, and would like as many people to upgrade to MCU2’s as possible. They’re dangling this carrot of “get your HW3 faster” which is complete BS. The moment there are FSD features delivered to HW3 (outside of visualizations) and I don’t have it...Tesla will be hearing from “us” MCU1’s haha.
I honestly think a lawsuit should be brought up. FSD buyers originaly paid 7k for it. What did they get ? Absolutely nothing and last on the list to get an upgrade if it ever happens. Its been over 3 years now. At least give the option for a refund at this point. I only paid $2k for mine and i still feel jipped. Really wouldnt hurt them much if they gave us a free mcu2 upgrade and call it a day. How many mcu1 with fsd paid could there possibly be?

I honestly think a lawsuit should be brought up. FSD buyers originaly paid 7k for it. What did they get ? Absolutely nothing and last on the list to get an upgrade if it ever happens. Its been over 3 years now. At least give the option for a refund at this point. I only paid $2k for mine and i still feel jipped. Really wouldnt hurt them much if they gave us a free mcu2 upgrade and call it a day. How many mcu1 with fsd paid could there possibly be?
Such a lawsuit would fail, since there was a very clear disclaimer available in FSD description since day 1, that there are absolutely no time guarantees. Nothing there said that your FSD will come before people who buy it later either. Tesla is very good at narrow wording interpretations - I still have the 691hp car, which took Tesla over 2 years before they finally admitted that it did not apply to the entire car, only to the motor itself in theory if it was installed in a different car (one which could provide 50% more power to the motor than the car they sold me).

So Tesla has until the end of time (ok, just before the end of time) to deliver. Not to mention that the pre-March-2019 FSD was Level 5 autonomy (drive your kids and family around without a driver, or make you money driving other people around), so much harder than the neutered FSD of today, but if delivered it will not require any MCU upgrades (no driver needed means no visualizations or other driver interactions needed).

Last edited:

No need for a lawsuit and it doesn't make sense.

(1) You will get the FSD Computer when they confirm that it's available for your VIN,. You're entitled to it as part of the $2K purchase. They have NEVER told you that you won't get it. You just to have some patience because you VIN does not yet qualify for it.

(2) MCU2 will NOT be a free item. You have to pay $2500 for the Infotainment Upgrade. And for the record just because you choose to pay the $2500 for the Infotainment Upgrade and your FSD Computer, does not mean that your VIN qualifies for it right now. One of my Tesla did quality for it, and the other is still pending. Both have the FSD purchase at full price at time of purchase of vehicle. Once the "notification" appears on their screen that indicate that your VIN is now supported you can get it. I would recommend you open up a service request using your app every 3 weeks. When those ticket are triaged, they bring up the VIN, and on the Notification Screen, it will confirm if the Infotainment Upgrade and or the FSD Computer is available for that VIN,

(3) There is NO refund for software items.

Yea, good luck with that.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
No need for a lawsuit and it doesn't make sense.

(1) You will get the FSD Computer when they confirm that it's available for your VIN,. You're entitled to it as part of the $2K purchase. They have NEVER told you that you won't get it. You just to have some patience because you VIN does not yet qualify for it.

(2) MCU2 will NOT be a free item. You have to pay $2500 for the Infotainment Upgrade. And for the record just because you choose to pay the $2500 for the Infotainment Upgrade and your FSD Computer, does not mean that your VIN qualifies for it right now. One of my Tesla did quality for it, and the other is still pending. Both have the FSD purchase at full price at time of purchase of vehicle. Once the "notification" appears on their screen that indicate that your VIN is now supported you can get it. I would recommend you open up a service request using your app every 3 weeks. When those ticket are triaged, they bring up the VIN, and on the Notification Screen, it will confirm if the Infotainment Upgrade and or the FSD Computer is available for that VIN,

(3) There is NO refund for software items.
I thought it would be just easier to quote the bolded vs. rewriting it myself.

I dropped our MS off this morning to (finally) have the Arachnids installed. During the Covid-19 "no contact" drop off process (aka a phone call after checking in on-line) the tech told me that my vin sequence had become eligible and they would also be installing the FSD computer (2.5->3.0) during the service visit and the car would be ready later this afternoon.

Hopefully, I didn't just jinx myself by updating my sig. :oops:

I would recommend you open up a service request using your app every 3 weeks. When those ticket are triaged, they bring up the VIN, and on the Notification Screen, it will confirm if the Infotainment Upgrade and or the FSD Computer is available for that VIN,
I’ve been doing this about every 4 weeks. While I got the HW2.5 to HW3.0 FSD upgrade, I have not yet been successful with the infotainment upgrade. Tesla’s response each time has been a bit terse, telling me I must wait for the email notification.

I just checked the Tesla support page about the infotainment option, and they have recently (sometime after May 8) changed the wording. Previously the site said that we would be notified via email. Now it says something consistent with the actual process:

“If your vehicle configuration is listed in the table below as ‘Scheduling Now,’ you can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation.” In another place, it now says: “Scheduling will be updated in the table once the upgrade is available for each configuration.” where it used to say “We’ll invite owners as their cars become available.”

So I will be trying yet again, and hoping to not get the snarky response: wait for the invite email.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948 and Vector2
I spoke with a support rep on the phone today that said since I have fsd that they will give me 10% off mcu2. Is this a known discount option? Even so the $250 doesn’t make the proposition very compelling just for the few limited features.
Get it in writing. This is the 1st time anyone has heard of a discount given. They are very firm on the $2500 for the Infotainment Upgrade (which includes both the MCU2 and IC2).

If they are offering it to you at a discount, take advantage of it if it's within your budget... Well worth it.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
i hate to re-open the can of worms, but when you say well worth it, in which way? I thought it was just netflix and browser and games.

(1) Entertainment Options (ie, Netflix, Twitch, YouTube, etc...)
(2) Games
(3) Dash Cam / Sentry Viewer current implementation in 2020.12
(4) Dash Cam / Sentry Viewer that shows a red dot when the incident occurs (currently in EAP)
(4) Additional live cameras when reversing
(5) Not yet confirmed, but repeater cameras when switching lanes
(6) Caraoke
(7) No more AM/FM/Satellite Radio
(8) Much faster interactive touch response
(9) Much more responsive dials on steering wheel
(10) It is current technology. MCU1/MC1 is EOL as it's 2012 technology
(11) You get a new MCU and IC screen that hopefully won't exhibit the yellowing (not yet confirmed, but we hope the adhesive has been improved and not needing UV light treatment in the future)
(12) Additional FSD Visualization (for those have that HW3 installed or will get HW3 installed)
(13) A functional web browser which I use primarily for the maps integration. Tap on a Point of Interest on the map, and it brings up the web browser and can go to their web site. Useful to find out what's on the menu of restaurants or even hour of operations.
(14) Faster Wifi (supports the 5ghz Wifi channel) which is really nice as the OS updates are getting larger at times.
(15) LTE modem appears to be better at keeping a good LTE connection, even over 3G.
(16) Bluetooth is improved. It now can display album art, and I think that means they have activate the bluetooth profile to transmit album art. (sorry, I can't remember which bluetooth profile that is right now).
(17) ... and anything new that Tesla releases that needs processing power that MCU1/IC1 just can't provide.

$2500 is not a trivial amount, but if you have the disposal income available, making your Tesla current in terms of the end-user touch interface experience is a great addition. It does make your Tesla feel new once again.

For the record, I did the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade on my Model S, and only the HW3 upgrade on my wife's Model X.

wow, thanks for that writeup. that said, even all those features i dont think to me is worth $2250 (if discount is real). i have the premium connectivity for life and afaictl it's so slow that even a faster browser won't make the experience better but maybe I'm wrong?

wow, thanks for that writeup. that said, even all those features i dont think to me is worth $2250 (if discount is real). i have the premium connectivity for life and afaictl it's so slow that even a faster browser won't make the experience better but maybe I'm wrong?
I had premium connectivity before the Infotainment Upgrade and now I have it afterwards. They do not remove it, and it comes in handy for Netflix, YouTube and for browsing the internet. The new Chomium web browser with the Infotainment Upgrade is just amazing when compared with the older outdated web browser that came with MCU/1

I thought the HW3 upgrade gave sentry mode and dashcam recording. That is what I have been seeing. Its a little flaky but it might get better

Recording Sentry Mode with HW3 and MCU1 is available (not all the cameras due to the lack of MCU1 processing power). What you don't get is Sentry/Dashcam viewer as that requires MCU2. So the ability to view the video on the MCU is only found if you do the Infotainment Upgrade or if you have a Tesla equipped from the factory with MCU2.