Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MAR2023: My Experience Driving 1,367mi Down Into California and Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove down into CA and back home on a road trip with my family of five.
- Drove 1,367mi total.
- Used TESLA Superchargers mostly.
- Average TESLA Supercharger price: $0.40/kWh (MIN: $0.34/kWh | MAX: $0.48/kWh)
NOTE: I pay an average of $0.08353/kWh to charge at home, so paying $0.48/kWh is an abomination!!!
- Longest TESLA Supercharger Charge Time*: 50min (Est.) @ 250kW
- Longest non-Supercharger Charge Time*: 2.5hrs @ 8kW (32A)
- Spent $176.96 total on charging**.
- Total trip cost ICE equivalent (24mpg): $209.15 (Est. @ $3.67/gal)

* Charging sessions where we actively sat and waited, not counting charging passively at the hotel, etc.
** Charged FREE overnight at one hotel and paid a flat $10.00 twice to slow charge at an RV park in BFE.

Takeaways...

We have driven this trip and this specific route many times over the years, and it normally takes about 10.5hrs (in our ICE vehicle @ 24mpg) including stops for fuel and restroom breaks; plus, we lose 1hr going to CA and gain 1hr coming home (due to the time change). Heading to CA in our TESLA Model Y took us 15.5hrs, including time spent charging and restroom breaks, etc. There was substantial range anxiety on the way to CA, especially, because the normal route we would take was beyond the actual range of our TESLA (but not beyond the rated range). Our Model Y is rated at 321mi of range, but our first TESLA Supercharger was 254mi from our home (we left our home with 100% SOC). After much stress, we found an RV park in BFE (about 45min from the first TESLA Supercharger along our route) that allowed us to charge using my NIMA 14-50 TESLA Mobile Connector @ 8kW (32A) for a flat $10.00. Our SOC was very low, so we charged up there to about 15% SOC before heading on to the TESLA Supercharger, but by the time we arrived at that first TESLA Supercharger 45min away, we had -4% SOC. (Not kidding! NEGATIVE 4% SOC!!!) Not only did this stress us out immensely (we thought we weren't going to make it), but I feared that going below 0% may have damaged our battery pack. (It still may have damaged it and we don't even know it!) While at that first TESLA Supercharger along our route, we charged 81kWh in about 35-45min. My Model Y supposedly only has a battery pack that is 78.3kWh, so explain that one to me!

Why didn't you just enter your destination and follow the on-screen GPS and charge accordingly, you ask???? Well, because we always go that route, for one thing. Plus, the route that the car wanted us to follow was going to take us 2hrs in the wrong direction, which made no sense to me. I track my normal TESLA driving efficiency using the TezLab app, so I figured that I should be able to travel the 254mi from a 100% SOC if I go slower (I normally speed, going 10-15mi over the speed limit). I then drove 55mph and 60mph the whole way until our first charge, which seemed to help little or not at all. Tractor trailers were getting mad at me, passing me ASAP along the two lane highway.

Once we were near civilization and were able to use ALL TESLA Superchargers, it was a breeze and wasn't stressful at all, although it definitely added time to our drives. We knew we could charge for $10 at that RV park along our normal route on the way back, so that is what we did. Unfortunately, I did not know that you cannot install a software update while charging (or while driving) the TESLA, so shortly after I began charging @ 8kW (32A) at the RV park, I started the software installation, which promptly cut off my charging session, which fact I did not realize until about 25min into the install, which installation took about 35min total. We made sure to charge up to 100% SOC at that last TESLA Supercharger before heading to that RV park toward home. (This was the first TESLA Supercharger on our way to CA.) We had a 78% SOC when we arrived at the RV park, and we charged up to 95% SOC before heading on for home. We had 3% SOC when we arrived home. It was MUCH less stressful driving and charging on the way home than it was on the way to CA, but it still was not stress-free.

We learned the hard way on the drive home (after seeing the "red steering wheel of death" about 3x) that if you manually exceed the MAX speed TESLA allows for auto-steer (85mph), then that feature will be disabled for the rest of the drive. So, we kept having to pull over while driving on a two-lane highway; put the TESLA in PARK; open the driver door briefly; and then pull back out onto the highway to regain the use of this feature. Maybe I'm spoiled, but driving for hours and hours on a two-lane highway WITHOUT auto-steer sucks! (NOTE: Our HONDA Odyssey has lane keeping, which works well on a road trip, although it is not as good as TESLA's Autopilot.) We also experienced several instances of phantom braking that was most unpleasant. Our HONDA Odyssey has never once done this, and it has adaptive cruise control. It seems like Autopilot gets scared as the TESLA approaches the top of a ridge in the road.

Also, while we love how much storage our Model Y has, it really makes things fairly tight, as some of the rear storage space is deceptive and cannot fully be utilized while allowing the rear lift gate to latch shut. You must leave about a 6-8in gap between where the rear lift gate appears to close and your luggage or cooler, or else the rear lift gate will not close. I also did everything I could to avoid placing stored items on top of the rear shelf, but it could not be avoided on the way home, as we purchased some bags of merchandise. The frunk was fully utilized and so was the lower storage area below the rear cargo space (as well as the rear cargo space).

One other strange thing that occurred is that twice while I was charging at a 250kW TESLA Supercharger, steam or smoke started to rise from the passenger side, seemingly from underneath the hood of the car (under the frunk). This only lasted about 30sec or less, and both times it happened while it was colder and raining outside (maybe 47°F). Because it was wet out, it could have been steam from the thermal realities of Supercharging, or it could have been smoke. There were also a lot of clicks and a few thud noises that occurred while I was Supercharging.

I have estimated (pretty accurately, I might add) that we saved about $32 driving the Model Y on our road trip, as opposed to our ICE minivan that gets 24mpg and is much larger and more comfortable for the passengers. Was it worth it? I am unconvinced, even though I love driving my Model Y. However, my family all said that they wished we had taken the minivan.

I think the main takeaway is that until charging can be done even more quickly than it is today and until fast-charging locations are more prevalent than gas stations are today, then road trips in an EV for periods longer than 4-6hrs are not worth it, IMO. We would normally drive this route with a full tank of gas when leaving home and would have to stop once to fill up along the way, which is also our main potty break and food stop. This would add about 30min to our drive. Until EV's can do likewise, I am not sure that it makes sense to drive an EV on such a long road trip instead of an ICE vehicle. We hope to get a CyberTruck soon, but no one really knows how large and comfortable (or not) that EV will be. TESLA doesn't really make any large/r sized vehicles. The Model X is smaller than our HONDA Odyssey, which minivan is reasonably comfortable on a long road trip. (We drove it about 5,000mi on a 2.5wk road trip last summer and we were decently comfortable.) I could not imagine driving our Model Y on the same 5,000mi road trip. Also, I am utterly disappointed with the lack of savings from charging while driving our TESLA Model Y on road trips. My home electricity price per kWh is amazing, but I think it's ridiculous that I should have to pay 5x that price OR MORE to charge up on a road trip. That's the whole point of owning an EV! I've already paid damn near double to purchase this vehicle, so I should be getting more savings over ICE than a mere 15% at the Superchargers! (NOTE: My state also charges an additional $154 per year for my TESLA auto registration because it's an EV and I don't pay the fuel tax.)

Tesla_Model_Y_Dual_Motor_Solid_Black_(1).jpg

"Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Solid Black (1)" by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

The car literally tells you when and where to stop for charging, you just have to follow along, several hours of planning not needed.

For road trips, I take the battery from 60% to 10%, this takes 12 minutes to charge, so just slightly more than 5.
The guess-o-meter is not accurate. Last time I tried to just follow it, we would have ran out of charge at least 30 miles before the supercharger if we didn't slow down to 20 under the speed limit and turn off all HVAC (in 30 degree weather)

The guess-o-meter is not accurate. Last time I tried to just follow it, we would have ran out of charge at least 30 miles before the supercharger if we didn't slow down to 20 under the speed limit and turn off all HVAC (in 30 degree weather)
So how fast were you driving before that time? I have two cars and 75 mph seems to be the sweet spot for me on road trips and I've take 160,000 miles worth. Unless it was really cold or really windy or you were driving above 80 I'm not sure how you could have ended up 30 miles short. And my guess-o-meters are usually within a per cent or two.

Reactions: SO16
To be clear what are you considering the "guess-o-meter" to be? In my experience, the Tesla navigation and especially the energy app graphs are pretty darn accurate. That requires you to let the car know what you are trying to do though and potentially to use the energy app. In the OPs case here, they flat out disregarded the route the car told them to take,

"because we always go that route, for one thing. Plus, the route that the car wanted us to follow was going to take us 2hrs in the wrong direction, which made no sense to me."

The Tesla did exactly what it was supposed to do here giving the OP a route through superchargers that would've allowed this trip to happen without issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and SO16
Drove 1,367mi total.

We would normally drive this route with a full tank of gas when leaving home and would have to stop once to fill up along the way

You drive 680 miles and only stop once? Kudos to you for that.

I've done a handful of road trips in my Model 3 and find the EV pattern to be better than the ICE pattern. I arrive at the destination feeling more relaxed, whereas I used to arrive feeling exhausted.

I suspect that if the first segment of your journey had more SuperChargers, and if you didn't start the trip already feeling anxious about it (and having a car full of people feeling the same), and if you didn't spend 35 wasted minutes to install software, and spend a lot of time at RV parks, then you would have appreciated the drive much more.

Even if I didn't appreciate the EV pattern for long road trips, it would still be an acceptable trade off (IMO) for never having to visit a gas station for the rest of the year (and the cost savings, and the time savings of 6 total annual hours standing at a pump).

The best part of all is... EVs are relatively in their infancy and they're already better than internal combustion... but there's so much potential for innovation. Battery breakthroughs could lead to much higher capacity and/or charging speeds, and chargers will definitely become more prevalent. Or perhaps battery swapping will become common.

You drive 680 miles and only stop once? Kudos to you for that.

I've done a handful of road trips in my Model 3 and find the EV pattern to be better than the ICE pattern. I arrive at the destination feeling more relaxed, whereas I used to arrive feeling exhausted.

I suspect that if the first segment of your journey had more SuperChargers, and if you didn't start the trip already feeling anxious about it (and having a car full of people feeling the same), and if you didn't spend 35 wasted minutes to install software, and spend a lot of time at RV parks, then you would have appreciated the drive much more.

Even if I didn't appreciate the EV pattern for long road trips, it would still be an acceptable trade off (IMO) for never having to visit a gas station for the rest of the year (and the cost savings, and the time savings of 6 total annual hours standing at a pump).

The best part of all is... EVs are relatively in their infancy and they're already better than internal combustion... but there's so much potential for innovation. Battery breakthroughs could lead to much higher capacity and/or charging speeds, and chargers will definitely become more prevalent. Or perhaps battery swapping will become common.
Yeah, our HONDA Odyssey has a range of 477mi. We typically stop to gas up and go potty in Winnemucca, NV and again for potty and meal time at In-N-Out in Sparks, NV.

I agree that stress was present on that and felt by all (mostly my wife). Stopping at the RV park to charge up with the NEMA 14-50 at 30A isn’t so bad, but it will be nice to have access to that SC in McDermitt, OR when it’s ready.

I would add that—while I absolutely love my Model Y and find it to be a much more comfortable ride (all things considered) and a superior driving experience—it was a bit cramped for my family of five (kids 10, 12, & 14). Even with all the extra cargo space (frunk and lower cargo area in the rear), it was still a bit tight with the luggage, too. I avoided placing anything on the rear cargo cover in the back window as long as I could, but it became inevitable (for storing jackets and bags of shopping items, etc.).

Couldn’t agree with you more regarding the hours and hours ICE drivers spend each year at stinky gas stations while we charge up at home (~90% of the time or more).

The future of EV transport is definitely exciting! That’s why I am so heavily invested in $TSLA.

To be clear what are you considering the "guess-o-meter" to be? In my experience, the Tesla navigation and especially the energy app graphs are pretty darn accurate. That requires you to let the car know what you are trying to do though and potentially to use the energy app. In the OPs case here, they flat out disregarded the route the car told them to take,

"because we always go that route, for one thing. Plus, the route that the car wanted us to follow was going to take us 2hrs in the wrong direction, which made no sense to me."

The Tesla did exactly what it was supposed to do here giving the OP a route through superchargers that would've allowed this trip to happen without issue.
The Tesla navigation, sorry that wasn't clear. We set the route in navigation, it told us we would arrive with a certain percentage. Halfway into the drive it became very obvious that wasn't even close to accurate.

So how fast were you driving before that time? I have two cars and 75 mph seems to be the sweet spot for me on road trips and I've take 160,000 miles worth. Unless it was really cold or really windy or you were driving above 80 I'm not sure how you could have ended up 30 miles short. And my guess-o-meters are usually within a per cent or two.
~60-70 MPH.

~60-70 MPH.
A couple of things: the nav system should have given you ample warning to maintain xxmph to reach your destination; and I am also unclear what your lowest supercharger arrival percentage is. Thirty miles short is in the vicinity of maybe 10%. So if you are hoping to reach there at 20% only your comfort level is "30 miles short"; the car could still make it. So maybe you just need a little more experience for comfort. I would also suggest using percentages for the battery and take a look at the energy graphs.

The farthest that either my mom or me have gone in our M3LR is from the Sierra Nevada foothills to our house in Santa Cruz. There are chargers in both places and they are well within range of each other so it's good. I was wondering what Ford was thinking with the Lightning. Pickups are supposed to be able to tow stuff! I hope the electric GMC Sierra will be the towing master of electric vehicles. Our ICE GMC is great at towing things, although it doesn't like getting the trailer unhitched.

The farthest that either my mom or me have gone in our M3LR is from the Sierra Nevada foothills to our house in Santa Cruz. There are chargers in both places and they are well within range of each other so it's good. I was wondering what Ford was thinking with the Lightning. Pickups are supposed to be able to tow stuff! I hope the electric GMC Sierra will be the towing master of electric vehicles. Our ICE GMC is great at towing things, although it doesn't like getting the trailer unhitched.
Hummer EV??? At 9,000lbs, I don’t think so. It’s too busy towing itself.

No, not the Hummer. There is going to be a GMC pickup that looks like a cross between the Sierra and Denali. Might be coming out 2024. I'm not sure. It looks really cool!
Oh—gotcha. I’ve only seen the Chevy one. Not a fan of its unibody. (Although, I am excited for the Cybertruck with its unibody.) To me, that Chevy one is more of a Chevy Avalanche.

I'm going to be headed toward Middleton, ID (fairly close to Boise, ID).My trip has me coming from Winnemucca, NV where I need to charge a 100%. I drive a MY LR 23. Is there any concern for me not being able to make it directly to Middleton assuming I drive 60-65 mph the whole way?

I'm going to be headed toward Middleton, ID (fairly close to Boise, ID).My trip has me coming from Winnemucca, NV where I need to charge a 100%. I drive a MY LR 23. Is there any concern for me not being able to make it directly to Middleton assuming I drive 60-65 mph the whole way?
ABetterRoutePlanner shows the best route through Hines (OR) supercharger then Ontario (OR) supercharger then Middleton, ID arriving with Soc of
13%, 10%, and 19% respectively. Going through Ontario alone puts you at the supercharger with 3%. The only variables I put in was speed at 62 mph and 268Wh/mile: no extra weight, road conditions, etc. Going from Winnemucca to Hines to Boise then Middleton shows roughly the same numbers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Not a chance. I just drove that route through Winnemucca from Boise to CA about 5wks ago. Made it from my home (100% SOC) in Ada County to the Shell station in Oravada, NV with 3% SOC. I had to use my TESLA Mobile Connector (NEMA 14-50) to charge at the adjacent RV park (30A). Cost me about 1hr in charge time and a flat $10 to charge, adding 8.2kWh and 15% SOC (to 18% SOC), just so that I could make it to Winnemucca. We arrived at the SC in Winnemucca with -4% SOC.

On the way back home, I charged at the SC in Winnemucca and added 56.2kWh (charged to 100% SOC). We again stopped at the RV park in Winnemucca to charge, adding 13.4kWh (95% SOC when we left). We arrived at our home in Ada County later that day with 3% SOC.

• Helpful
ABetterRoutePlanner shows the best route through Hines (OR) supercharger then Ontario (OR) supercharger then Middleton, ID arriving with Soc of
13%, 10%, and 19% respectively. Going through Ontario alone puts you at the supercharger with 3%. The only variables I put in was speed at 62 mph and 268Wh/mile: no extra weight, road conditions, etc. Going from Winnemucca to Hines to Boise then Middleton shows roughly the same numbers.
Boise SC is 30min east of Middleton. You wouldn’t drive from Hines, OR to Boise, ID to Middleton, ID. That makes NO sense.

Boise SC is 30min east of Middleton. You wouldn’t drive from Hines, OR to Boise, ID to Middleton, ID. That makes NO sense.
I put that because I assumed the OP would like a little margin upon arrival in Middleton. They could always hit Boise after Middleton as necessary. Perhaps they have a charge source in Middleton. Just giving them options and to show what ABRP thought about the situation.
Sometimes what you have to do makes no sense. I assumed they didn't have a lot of EV experience . I have thoughts on how I would do it but I also would be privy to my big picture; I have no idea what their big picture, master plan is.

Not a chance. I just drove that route through Winnemucca from Boise to CA about 5wks ago. Made it from my home (100% SOC) in Ada County to the Shell station in Oravada, NV with 3% SOC. I had to use my TESLA Mobile Connector (NEMA 14-50) to charge at the adjacent RV park (30A). Cost me about 1hr in charge time and a flat $10 to charge, adding 8.2kWh and 15% SOC (to 18% SOC), just so that I could make it to Winnemucca. We arrived at the SC in Winnemucca with -4% SOC.

On the way back home, I charged at the SC in Winnemucca and added 56.2kWh (charged to 100% SOC). We again stopped at the RV park in Winnemucca to charge, adding 13.4kWh (95% SOC when we left). We arrived at our home in Ada County later that day with 3% SOC.
I put that because I assumed the OP would like a little margin upon arrival in Middleton. They could always hit Boise after Middleton as necessary. Perhaps they have a charge source in Middleton. Just giving them options and to show what ABRP thought about the situation.
Sometimes what you have to do makes no sense. I assumed they didn't have a lot of EV experience . I have thoughts on how I would do it but I also would be privy to my big picture; I have no idea what their big picture, master plan is.
My destination has a Level 2 charger so I'm not worried about how things will go once I arrive, mostly want to ensure I get there at all 😅. I don't have a travel charger, but to eliminate the anxiety I did think about purchasing a CCS charger so I can charge here. This would allow me to basically avoid a catastrophic failure, at least I hope. This seems like a one time purchase as a Super Charger station is going up there in the next few months 😐.

If I decided not to go with a CCS charger in your opinion can I make it to Caldwell? There are a few charging options there where I could plug in for an hour. Thanks again!

My destination has a Level 2 charger so I'm not worried about how things will go once I arrive, mostly want to ensure I get there at all 😅. I don't have a travel charger, but to eliminate the anxiety I did think about purchasing a CCS charger so I can charge here. This would allow me to basically avoid a catastrophic failure, at least I hope. This seems like a one time purchase as a Super Charger station is going up there in the next few months 😐.

If I decided not to go with a CCS charger in your opinion can I make it to Caldwell? There are a few charging options there where I could plug in for an hour. Thanks again!
IMO: No.

My drive down to CA and back was on 03/20 and 03/23, respectively. The weather was colder then than it is now (which is a factor, or so I am told), but my effective range on 03/20 was actually 219mi. (I did the math based on my actual drive, leaving home with 100% SOC, charging up a bit at the RV park in Oravada, NV, and arriving at the SC in Winnemucca with -4% SOC.)

Just now, Google Maps showed me the distance from “Caldwell, Idaho” (you didn’t give me an address) to the SC in Winnemucca is 237mi. It is obviously warmer now, so perhaps you could make it, but not knowing for sure doesn’t sound like a fun time to me.

I just bought the CCS adapter from TESLA. $174 buys you a lot of piece of mind, IMO. I also have my TESLA Mobile Connector and NEMA 14-50 adapter as a backup. I recommend buying it. Yes, that CS will be up-and-running in McDermitt, NV soon enough, but then you may need a CCS adapter for other road-trip destinations. Keep in mind that it works with any TESLA you own or will own in the future. NACS isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.