Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map Overlay Disappeared

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new 24 MSLR, two weeks old. This morning my map went away. I can still see my location arrow, but it's on a black screen. Earlier I could see the local superchargers, but those are gone now too. I can navigate, but there is no map overlay. All other connectivity is fine, so that's not the issue. Been googling all day and I can't figure out what might be causing this. Is this a known problem?

The map data is stored on an SD memory card that is inserted into a slot on the MCU. There can be a corruption in the SD card, and service should be able to remotely check and/or refresh or format the card. This seems a likely cause, and if it is the issue, Tesla can fix it remotely. If the SD card is bad, they will need to go into the dash and replace it, likely requiring a service visit. Fill out a service request through the APP and they will contact you.

The map data is stored on an SD memory card that is inserted into a slot on the MCU. There can be a corruption in the SD card, and service should be able to remotely check and/or refresh or format the card. This seems a likely cause, and if it is the issue, Tesla can fix it remotely. If the SD card is bad, they will need to go into the dash and replace it, likely requiring a service visit. Fill out a service request through the APP and they will contact you.
I'm seeing on reddit that everyone in LA is having a similar problem today. Not just MS owners. Thanks for responding.

If you have the google map overlay, it is downloaded as you need it through Tesla connectivity. If you have no connectivity, I am surprised it doesn't fall back to the "Roads NAV Map" on the SD card. I wouldn't think this would be a "common failure" that affects Tesla cars unless there is some other issue, since you still have the map data on the SD card as a backup.