Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla navigation map region change question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice that a lot of people are asking about changing their car maps to the current region where they live at the moment which happens to be different of the region where the car was originally sold. This may happen for a lot of reasons, but unfortunately Tesla doesn't provide any solution, which is crazy. So let's try and discuss the issue. It is known that LTE connectivity can be restored by replacing the LTE modem, but maps are still an issue. It is also known that maps region can be changed OTA by Tesla and some third party tools like LOKI also claim it's within their capabilities. By looking into the infotainment structure we can see that the maps files are stored in bank B. We also know that the infotainment computer holds a memory card inside. Now the logical questions are:
1. Does LOKI really offer regional map change?
2. Where exactly is bank B located and can we change the map files on that memory bank if we have the necessary new files?
3. Has anyone found a way of updating the navigation files without removing the infotainment computer and sending it to the other end of the world for hacking?
4. If we somehow exchange the navigation maps, would the next OTA update bring back the map region we have changed?
I understand that most of the knowledgeable people wouldn't want to share any information, because this is a great source of income, but I am pretty sure that if we put our heads together we can figure it out!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hamster8
I notice that a lot of people are asking about changing their car maps to the current region where they live at the moment which happens to be different of the region where the car was originally sold. This may happen for a lot of reasons, but unfortunately Tesla doesn't provide any solution, which is crazy. So let's try and discuss the issue. It is known that LTE connectivity can be restored by replacing the LTE modem, but maps are still an issue. It is also known that maps region can be changed OTA by Tesla and some third party tools like LOKI also claim it's within their capabilities. By looking into the infotainment structure we can see that the maps files are stored in bank B. We also know that the infotainment computer holds a memory card inside. Now the logical questions are:
1. Does LOKI really offer regional map change?
2. Where exactly is bank B located and can we change the map files on that memory bank if we have the necessary new files?
3. Has anyone found a way of updating the navigation files without removing the infotainment computer and sending it to the other end of the world for hacking?
4. If we somehow exchange the navigation maps, would the next OTA update bring back the map region we have changed?
I understand that most of the knowledgeable people wouldn't want to share any information, because this is a great source of income, but I am pretty sure that if we put our heads together we can figure it out!
I am from Albania .I have tesla model Y from China .I am having problem with map region.Is not giving option to change the region from china to europe .Is there any way to do it .

Upon further research it seems that you can update/change navigation maps via USB update. For that reason you need to enable Service+ mode.
I own Tesla MY which was imported from US, while I'm using it in Tbilisi, Georgia. I would also like to know how can I change the region from US to EU and upload EU navigation maps to get navigation working on my vehicle. Thanks!

who needs to change the map region, I can help with this remotely..
It’d be nice if you could share this info publicly. I don’t have the need, but like to know how it’s done.

Beyond that, who ever heard of a GPS that doesn’t work world wide? It has the capability to download data… It’s a computer, I don’t understand the issue. Imagine if this happened in aviation? GPS #1 for North America, GPS #2 for South America, GPS #3 for Europe, GPS #4… H3ll, an international airline would be required to have 8 or 10 GPS’s on board depending on the routes flown.

Reactions: APotatoGod
It’d be nice if you could share this info publicly. I don’t have the need, but like to know how it’s done.

Beyond that, who ever heard of a GPS that doesn’t work world wide? It has the capability to download data… It’s a computer, I don’t understand the issue. Imagine if this happened in aviation? GPS #1 for North America, GPS #2 for South America, GPS #3 for Europe, GPS #4… H3ll, an international airline would be required to have 8 or 10 GPS’s on board depending on the routes flown.
fully agree - I believe that the topic is extremely commercialized. There is a limited group of those having access to the maps and methodology on how to amend the vehicle firmware to meet the regional needs. The info is kept confidentially and is being provided as an expensive service. This is unfair.... would be great if somebody who has the info will start sharing details to those who may attempt to update his car as needed,