Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map went haywire during trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last evening, I was driving about 45 minutes to a local destination. All of this travel is within a large metropolitan area and some suburbs. Cell service was not a problem. The iPhones in the car never had a problem.

About 30 minutes into the trip, the map lost my location. It put me north of my current position. Minimum of 500' to about a half mile at most. I was driving on a highway headed east at the time it went haywire. I had not exited the highway nor performed any significant change in my velocity when it all went awry. It kept repeating turn right over and over in a repeating cadence. Hoping it would 'fix' itself at some point, I let it run for about 5 minutes before I just gave up. I ended the navigation function.

When I got to my destination, my position on the map was nowhere near where I actually was.

At this time, I rebooted the car. When it came back up, it was working just fine again. It has been working just fine ever since.

I am on the latest firmware. v11.1 2024.2.7

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last evening, I was driving about 45 minutes to a local destination. All of this travel is within a large metropolitan area and some suburbs. Cell service was not a problem. The iPhones in the car never had a problem.

Unless your cellphone service for the iPhones is AT&T (which is what the cars use in the US), your iPhones having cell coverage isnt relevant to the car having cell coverage.

The description sounds like the car lost cell signal, and had not cached the maps for your destination.

The car knowing its own location is absolutely not related to cell coverage. I've driven many hours in areas without cell coverage and the car knew where it was and could navigate just fine on the map. Granted, I made sure to view the area I was planning to travel to while I still had coverage so the map I needed was cached. But even if the map is not cached, the car should know where it is.

I think this was a bug in the car's software that was triggered by bad or lost cell coverage. My car recently did several really bizarre things and I think they were related to bad cell coverage and the car not handling that situation well. I hope Tesla fixes this soon because bugs like this can be a significant security risk.