Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about doing the trip from L.A. to Mammoth (staying at the Westin) on Sunday evening...what are the chances I can make it to the mountain in one stop with a 90D Model X (or should I even bother trying since two shorter stops are probably better than one long one).

Have you been seeing heavy usage of these Superchargers? I'm guessing northbound traffic on a Sunday evening would be pretty light.

Weather is looking good with a wind gusts under 20mph the whole way there.

Also open to recommendations for dinner around the Mojave and Lone Pine Superchargers.

I'm thinking about doing the trip from L.A. to Mammoth (staying at the Westin) on Sunday evening...what are the chances I can make it to the mountain in one stop with a 90D Model X (or should I even bother trying since two shorter stops are probably better than one long one).

Have you been seeing heavy usage of these Superchargers? I'm guessing northbound traffic on a Sunday evening would be pretty light.

Weather is looking good with a wind gusts under 20mph the whole way there.

Also open to recommendations for dinner around the Mojave and Lone Pine Superchargers.

You'll be gaining a lot of elevation and both superchargers are easy on/off so I would just stop at both for a few minutes if I were you.

Also, I stayed at the Westin Monache a couple months ago and the charging situation there was nice. Chargers were in the valet spots, but if you don't want to valet, just let them know you are self parking and need to charge and they will let you park there. Chargers are right next to the lobby so rock star parking that way :) And if you need them to move one of the cars, they are eager to do so. I mostly just used the level 2s because the HPWCs were occupied. Don't remember the details but the level 2s were fast.

You will definitely need both on the way up. No question. Even if you drive slow. Mojave is a good place to stock up on groceries at the Stater Bros (if you are staying in a condo/rental) while you are waiting. Just watch out for the meth-heads there. There are plenty.

Lone Pine has a great new BBQ place a couple blocks down the road on the same side of the street. Their hours are funky though. Seasons is a good, and surprisingly expensive, restaurant across the street. There is a Pizza Factory there and a few other restaurants.

On the way back, you can make Mojave, and skip Lone Pine, if the winds (and your foot) are not too heavy. If you get to Lone Pine and have at least 140 RM, you could just make it.

Thanks for the tips.

I would have planned to try that Mexican place in Mojave (since it is right next to the Superchargers), but Yelp lists it as being closed on Sundays.

I scoped out the Lone Pine Supercharger last season (before I got my X...that's my Honda Pilot on the right edge of this pic), so I knew it would be a walk to any place in town. During one of our trips we grabbed tacos from Castro's truck, but they were only present one of the three times we headed up...and I am pretty sure they won't be around on Sunday night.
001_S5_20160305_114539-X3.jpg

Well, I made the trip and stopped in both Mojave and Lone Pine in both directions (though I definitely could have avoided Lone Pine on the way back if we didn't try to stop and eat at that new BBQ place...which was closed).

17359433_10213513734856991_1808297745331661743_o.jpg

17388787_10213513734896992_2608131291115237351_o.jpg

17359239_10213513736057021_7044842093172876419_o.jpg

Traveling later than usual was great for traffic and Supercharging (had the locations all to myself), but horrible for food options. The Thai place was listed as being open until 9pm on the Sunday we headed up, but actually closed at 8pm...we ended up eating at Primo's (which was not good). Nothing (including the McDonalds) was open in Lone Pine by the time we rolled through there.

17493089_10213575329596821_4370029005607896423_o.jpg

17436186_10213575331356865_9161235600225285565_o.jpg

17493164_10213575333116909_6973618434601356997_o.jpg

On the way back, it started raining the second we pulled into Lone Pine...good thing I had my Tesla umbrella with me. No bbq, no Castro's either. We arrived in Mojave at 8pm just as the Mexican place closed...but, surprisingly, the Thai place was both open and unexpectedly decent. I'd eat there again.

Reactions: abasile and McManX
Haha I charged at Mojave at 8:20pm on Sunday as well. Tried to go to the Thai place for an appetizer (wasn't real hungry but didn't feel like sitting in the car or whatever), and was disappointed to see the CLOSED sign. There were still some people in there but the sign said they close at 8pm on Sunday so I guess they were just about ready to shoo those people out.

I don't recall seeing any other Teslas there, so I must have just missed you.

PS I like the parking job at the entrance of the Westin Monache :)

Hello all - Newbie to the Tesla forums and a frequent snowboarder to Mammoth from LA/Pasadena and decided to impulsively rent a Model 3 long range to drive up for this weekend's pow! I've been driving up for awhile in a regular ICE SUV and really hoping the AP will help with the driver fatigue for the 300+ mile drive.

I'm getting a little range anxiety about charging and know I definitely should do Mojave and Lone Pine. From Pasadena to Mojave, I'm not too worried about this stretch. But using EV Trip Planner, it says I only need a 10 min charge here to make it to Lone Poine. Would this usually be enough and/or is it better to maybe get a 20-25 min charge here and wait less at Lone Pine? I'm thinking of doing a stop at the Stater Bros, get groceries, use the restroom, come back and charge should be done.

Then from Lone Pine to Mammoth, how much rated range would typically be needed? EV Trip Planner calculates it to be 121 ... so wondering how accurate this is? From here would charging to 90% be too much or would it be peace of mind knowing that temps will be in the 10-20s, big elevation gain, and headwind?

Lastly, I'm thinking of keeping my speeds at about 70-75mph and any tips would be great!

Tesla.JPG

Hello all - Newbie to the Tesla forums and a frequent snowboarder to Mammoth from LA/Pasadena and decided to impulsively rent a Model 3 long range to drive up for this weekend's pow! I've been driving up for awhile in a regular ICE SUV and really hoping the AP will help with the driver fatigue for the 300+ mile drive.

I'm getting a little range anxiety about charging and know I definitely should do Mojave and Lone Pine. From Pasadena to Mojave, I'm not too worried about this stretch. But using EV Trip Planner, it says I only need a 10 min charge here to make it to Lone Poine. Would this usually be enough and/or is it better to maybe get a 20-25 min charge here and wait less at Lone Pine? I'm thinking of doing a stop at the Stater Bros, get groceries, use the restroom, come back and charge should be done.
Bingo. This is exactly what I do. It (in-dash nav) always predicts that I will need a 10 minute stop, but by the time I actually arrive to Mojave, it changes to 15-20 minutes. By the time you hit the market and the bathroom, you are ready to roll.

Then from Lone Pine to Mammoth, how much rated range would typically be needed? EV Trip Planner calculates it to be 121 ... so wondering how accurate this is?
Not accurate at all. EVTripPlanner was my go to site for awhile (I even donated to him twice), but recently, I found that it has been ignoring the altitude and speed adjustments.
From here would charging to 90% be too much or would it be peace of mind knowing that temps will be in the 10-20s, big elevation gain, and headwind?
90% seems about right. I try to charge to at least 200RM. The actually miles is about 100, and you have a steep uphill and high speeds, often with winds. When I charge to over 200, I typically arrive with 50 left. That is a safe buffer. Realize, you will not only arrive to Mammoth with a fairly low state of charge (SOC), vampire losses are much higher in the cold weather. I will therefore usually stop at the Mammoth superchargers as soon as I arrive, even if I am okay, and grab a quick 5 minute charge while my battery is warm, allowing me to relax for a couple of days until I get a full charge on another day. I don't have charging access in Mammoth at my place. If you do, then you are golden.

Lastly, I'm thinking of keeping my speeds at about 70-75mph and any tips would be great!
I typically follow this exact speed. Safe yet fast. My radar has screamed at me multiple times at 74 and they don't seem to care (I slow down anyway).

Enjoy your drive and all that beautiful Pow! Canyon is opening a week earlier on Dec 7. I am heading up in two weeks and can't wait.

Last time I did it I used 160RM from Lone Pine to Mammoth in an AWD Model 3 in the winter.
I second the recommendation to charge right when you get into town. Charging is painfully slow with a cold battery and the vampire drain in cold weather is unpredictable. You can just use in car navigation to determine how much to charge. Just charge until it says you'll reach your destination with 20% and you should be fine. Realistically it charges so fast you'll probably have plenty of extra range if you walk somewhere while the car is charging.

Awesome, thanks for all of the info! I'm really loving the Tesla community here and been itching to go electric w/ Tesla :)

Will come back and report how the trip and pow is! Super stoked Canyon is opening this weekend and would be even better if those V3 chargers open up for the weekend at Lone Pine. I saw the LP SC thread as well, so will report too on any updates. Which brings me to my last question ...

So at Mojave, would it be more advantageous if I charge for more time/miles here and would that then reduce the charge time at LP? I'm thinking I wouldn't mind waiting for a few more extra mins at Stater Bros (if it saves me some time at LP) vs. walking around or sitting a few more mins at LP during the cold at night.