Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, at 180ish miles from Manteca, that's a bit much. Of course Tioga Pass isn't doable in winter so that's relevant only for summer travel where range is greater. Still, that seems a bit much. Lee Vining doesn't make all that much sense any more, so maybe Sonora is the logical intermediate point?

And Bishop now doesn't make much sense either, does it?

I see what you are saying, and I agree. Apparently, Bishop was too difficult to get a spot for SC's anyway. Rumor has it that two places rejected Tesla. With Mammoth coming on-line, there is no need for Bishop. It is an easy drive from Lone Pine. 99 miles with about 149 of estimated range for the climb. I would also agree that Lee Vining is too close to Mammoth to be needed anymore.

This is fantastic news. There are several HPWCs already in Mammoth (the Village and the Westin), but those require either a stay/dinner there, or a believe a fee. That was my plan, but given that I do not have twin chargers, I would need a few hours at least to overcome the low temperatures there while still leaving me enough to get back to Lone Pine. 30 minutes at a SC will totally suit my needs.

Last edited:
I just found the actual City Council video discussing the approva. Here is the link
I also sent an email to blueshift to get this loaded on the supercharge.info map.

Mods: can we change the title? to Mammoth Mtn Supercharger: Permit approved

Last edited:
One of the Councilmen actively monitors the forums :biggrin:
I'm assuming your mean oldnewyork? That's what it sounds like from his post. I placed the link on there for others to see. It's an interesting discussion. I got a little scared when I heard a council member say how convenient this location is because the shuttle stop is there. :eek:
Fortunately, the Tesla rep said that the idea is that they remove their cars when done charging. My gosh, I really hope no one has the audacity to take off skiing for the day while their car is charging.
I will cross post in the new SC-Mammoth thread.

Someone broke into my Tesla at Mammoth

I had an interesting experience in Mammoth. I arrived here on the 14[SUP]th[/SUP], just catching the first part of the storm and just in time that I did not need chains. I parked my car in front of my condo complex, Mammoth West, just below the Austria Hof. I left it there until this morning. When my friend and I climbed in this morning, he mentioned about how much of a mess there was in the front seats. I looked around for a bit, and realized that someone broke into my car! Everything inside the center console was tossed about, with the dividers pulled completely out. The rubber floor of the center console (where the phone charger and USB ports are located) was pulled up and tossed aside. Likewise, the rubber flooring of the center cubby was removed. The heat was turned up to 82 degrees on the driver’s side, and 81 degrees on the passenger side. I always keep them sync’d. The climate control was set to some custom setting. When I parked the car a few days earlier, the climate was set to 68 degrees. The battery drained from about 70 RM when I last checked the day before, to 50 RM when I made the discovery. It seems that whoever entered my car wanted to keep warm.

Here lies the rub: not one thing that I can think of was taken out of the car. I had a bag of quarters in the center console worth probably $40 and that was still open and untouched. I had a Bluetooth earpiece (that I use when I have kids in the car) that was still there. My brand new skis and poles were there, as were my friend’s. There was a bunch of miscellaneous stuff that was tossed about, but still there. The one thing I noticed is that they apparently wanted to steal my radar detector. They pulled on the LED display mounted in the cubby and pulled out all the slack that was tucked away behind the cubby. They probably realized that it was hard wired and left it. Clearly, though, the car was ransacked.

Now, how did they get in??? Well, the only thing I can think of is this: yesterday, my friend gave up skiing about 90 minutes before me. We typically stow our skis and poles in the car, so we do not have to carry them up the hill to our condo entrance. When he got to the car, he called me on the slopes and asked me to unlock it, which I did. 90 minutes later, when I got to the car, I opened the trunk, unloaded my skis and poles, closed it up and left. I had the only fob with me at the time. My question is this: after I arrived at the car and opened it and closed it, would it not lock itself again?

I really think it had to have happened the night after this for a couple of reasons: 1) it is the only time I unlocked the car, and 2) it was warm enough during the day and on a really busy road that I doubt someone would have climbed in right after my friend entered, and cranked up the heat.

Anyway, except for a mess, nothing is missing and there is no damage to the car.

Anyway, except for a mess, nothing is missing and there is no damage to the car.
Sorry to hear nonetheless. Did you file a police report?

As one who does not (yet) own a Tesla, I'm not sure I find the auto lock/unlock functionality attractive. In this particular respect, I like the way my LEAF works, as I can keep the fob in my pocket and just press a small button on one of the door handles to lock/unlock. Super easy, and no guessing. No car is perfect, of course.

Hello everyone. I am heading to Mammoth over the Christmas weekend. I used to have an 85S, and now I have and 85D, with slightly better range (max 157 vs 172). I will grab a charge at some point at the SC while up there, but that could be early in the trip, so with vampire drain and local travel, I may not depart with a full charge

My question is this: heading home to LA, how hard is it to hit Mojave and skip Lone Pine. If I can make it with just one stop, that would be best. Of course, I don't want to go too slow either. According to EVtripplanner, I should only need 220 RM to start to easily make it to Mojave. Have others done this? My guess is that if I am running low, I could always bank left towards Inyokern, charge there, which should give me enough to get back to LA, skipping Mojave, right?

Hello everyone. I am heading to Mammoth over the Christmas weekend. I used to have an 85S, and now I have and 85D, with slightly better range (max 157 vs 172). I will grab a charge at some point at the SC while up there, but that could be early in the trip, so with vampire drain and local travel, I may not depart with a full charge

My question is this: heading home to LA, how hard is it to hit Mojave and skip Lone Pine. If I can make it with just one stop, that would be best. Of course, I don't want to go too slow either. According to EVtripplanner, I should only need 220 RM to start to easily make it to Mojave. Have others done this? My guess is that if I am running low, I could always bank left towards Inyokern, charge there, which should give me enough to get back to LA, skipping Mojave, right?

You could bank to Inyokern yes - but have you used it? It's way off the freeway, taking several minutes to reach and several more to get back to the freeway.

Lone Pine's supercharger is literally 30 feet "out of your way" as you go down main street. It adds essentially zero time to your trip to add a little juice in Lone Pine and a lot of peace of mind about getting to Mojave with plenty to spare. Whatever you add in Lone Pine will be less time you have to spend charging in Mojave so you are basically losing no time on the overall trip.

Yes, I have been to Inyokern. Not the nicest of locations.
I guess you are correct. A 5 minute stop in Lone Pine would be easy enough, and would give peace of mind. That in itself is probably worth it. OTOH, I will get a faster charge rate arriving at Mojave with a low SOC.
My calculations lead me to believe that if I arrive at Lone Pine with 136 RM, I should be able to drive at a speed factor of 1.2 and make it to Mojave. If I am way above that, I will go for it. If I am close, I will charge for a few minutes. Knowing me, I will stop no matter what just so that I have less range anxiety.

I just returned from Mammoth this evening. I charged to 264 at the supercharger there last night. Once again, it took about 20 minutes for the charge to get to a decent rate. Anyway, when I left town today, I had 249 RM. I drove 75 MPH most of the time, stopped in Bishop twice (once at Meadow Farms for their amazing bacon, and then at Schatt's for some bread). I skipped Lone Pine, seeing that had about 160 RM when I passed that SC, and easily making Mojave with 35 RM to spare. I guess my biggest advantage was that the temp today when I left was a balmy 43º. Therefore, I had the benefit of full regen down the hill.

I have to say, making only one stop made this trip so much easier.

Reactions: calisnow and McManX
I am taking my first drive up to Mammoth from Los Angeles with my S 70 staying at the Westin I see the posts about the SC and am not concerned about charging but wondering about tires and chains. Having spent so many years carrying chains and often having to put them on I have the 19" tires. Any recommendations. Thanks

I am taking my first drive up to Mammoth from Los Angeles with my S 70 staying at the Westin I see the posts about the SC and am not concerned about charging but wondering about tires and chains. Having spent so many years carrying chains and often having to put them on I have the 19" tires. Any recommendations. Thanks

I stayed at the Westin Monache last week. The valet area is just inside the entrance to the parking garage and that is where you'll find the chargers. I believe there were 2 Tesla destination chargers (I only had the chance to use one, but I think they were labeled as one being faster than the other so I guess one has a higher amperage) and quite a few high amperage level 2s (I want to say 80amps). The charging spots are often ICE'd with valeted cars but if you tell them you want to charge, they will move one of the cars. I usually was able to find one of the spots empty so it wasn't a big hassle. There is no charge for parking (included in resort fee) and you do not actually have to leave your key with valet if you don't want to. As an added bonus you get what most would consider to be "rockstar" parking right next to the lobby.

I didn't need to use the supercharger, but I went and checked it out anyway. The parking lot was reasonably well plowed, but two of the chargers had so much snow around them that they would have to be dug out with a shovel to use them. Not really a big deal because there were 6 others to work with and I don't think this supercharger is often full. I don't really blame the plow/maintenance crew as there really was an unbelievable amount of snow up there.

I realize I didn't answer your question, but I thought I would share my experience anyway since I stayed at that hotel recently. I left town just before a snowstorm so I avoided the issue of chains. Some of my friends were still in town the next day when the storm hit and they said that cops were out patrolling and requiring people to have chains or snow tires on the way out of town for a few hours, but once there was a break in the snow, they lifted the requirement. I would assume this is because they plowed and sanded the road right away and they were easily passable once the snow stopped. So if you are flexible and watch the weather forecast, you may be able to avoid the issue. I do believe there were quite a few places in town selling chains if you do need to buy them. Have fun on your trip!

When are you heading up? There's a ton of snow on the roads right now, with more expected tonight. I was up there a few days after the recent major dumps and had no issues. Then again, I have a D. Traction was awesome.
Last year, I went up with my prior P85 and still did well. I was forced to put my chains on when I reached a steep hill. I almost made it, but a dog ran in front of me and I had to stop, and couldn't get traction again. I used the Z-Chains that Tesla used to sell. I am not comfortable using them though, due to reports around this forum that if they are not placed on 100% perfect they could damage the car.

Definitely bring chains. If chains are required you will at least have to show them to CHP/cal trans. The chains Tesla sells are very easy to use and are safe for air suspension.

I'm going for presidents weekend and initial reports are saying another big storm is coming for the long weekend.

Also, check road conditions. (I use a handy-dandy app on my phone -- CAAR)

US395 north of Bishop as well as the main access highway to Mammoth, SR203 did have some time when CHP closed the highways due to white out conditions during the last heavy storm that we received in January. The climb up Sherwin Summit got a little hairy, from reports that I read.