Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Rust on Rotors in a few hours ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Tesla/Brembo would do something like Chevy did with the Volt:

GM Creates Recipe for Brakes That Shine

Very nice technology, I have not expect that from GM. But that drives additional costs to the rotors.

???

I have never seen anybody replace rotors because they are too rusty.

Even in the S you end up using the bakes a little bit when you drive.

They will never get to a point where they "rust through" and must be replaced because of that.

Have you ever had that happen to you?

The only "car" form that I know this is from the Renault Twizy. In Germany one of the most sold electric "cars". There were some Renault Twizys that had so much rost on the rotors that it could not get off with braking. The braking power was also affected on this.

One person here said, that if the thickness goes to thick and you brake very hard, the rust can get bonded to the surfaces, and would get off. That causes a problem.

Recent article. There are companies that have worked toward minimizing this. The Volt has some of this 'technology' on/in it.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-...-wheels-shiny/article11408699/?service=mobile

GM develops rust-free rotors to keep car wheels shiny

RICHARD RUSSELL
SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL
Published Saturday, Apr. 20 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

General Motors engineers and scientists have developed and are starting to deploy FNC coating for brake rotors. FNC stands for Ferritic Nitro-Carburizing, a chemical case-hardening process whereby nitrogen and carbon are diffused into the surface of a ferrous metal such as steel or cast iron. This exclusive, patented process is being applied to the brake rotors of a number of GM vehicles. It not only reduces or eliminates corrosion, it results in a finish that is harder and stronger, thus increasing the life of the rotors. The FNC protection lasts for about 60,000 km in highly corrosive environments such as the east coast and up to double that in less severe areas such as the prairies. The initial testing of the new rotors was conducted in Atlantic Canada.

The process involves heating the rotors in special ovens the size of a tour bus at 560 degrees Celsius where they are exposed to a nitrogen-rich atmosphere for 24 hours. The nitrogen atoms bond to the surface of the rotor.

The development team at GM’s Canadian Regional Engineering Centre in Oshawa, Ont., which led the project of getting the FNC rotor to market, faced a number of challenges. Among them was the distortion caused by the heat treatment and the reduced friction and resulting increased braking distances caused by the new surface. It made continual adjustments to the process until these issues were addressed.

Rusted rotors are one of the leading causes of customer complaints for all car companies. A recent consumer study by GM found that 40 per cent of new-vehicle owners listed corrosion among the top three bothersome things about their cars. Most of the complaints were of the nasty sound when the brakes are first applied after sitting for a period and becoming coated with rust.

That same situation can lead to the pads and rotors becoming bonded.

Both situations lead to uneven rotor wear and a pulsation felt through the brake pedal – and the steering wheel if it is a front brake or the seat of your pants if a rear brake unit.

Uneven wear is a leading cause of rotors having to be turned on a lathe to generate a fresh surface or replaced when the thickness reaches a certain point. FNC-treated rotors have a 400-micron (one-tenth the width of a human hair) layer of protection. Once this layer is worn through, the cast iron rotor can be treated like a normal one and machined if necessary.

GM’s internal warranty data show that, when FNC-treated rotors are used instead of conventional ones, the replacement and incident rate drops by between 50 to 80 per cent.

The first vehicle to benefit from FNC-treated rotors was the 2009 Cadillac DTS. It was followed in 2011 by the Chevrolet Impala, Malibu and Volt and the Buick LaCrosse and Regal. The Cadillac ATS and XTS are the most recent recipients. More than 80 per cent of GM vehicles sold in Canada will have FNC rotors by 2016.

FNC-treated rotors not only look better – shiny metal instead of rust seen through those fancy wheels – they last longer, saving money.

Another benefit: FNC rotors generate less brake dust, helping keep those wheels looking good longer.

On a wet rainy day, my car was parked outside for about 8 hours when i came out to go home i saw this..

Looks pretty bad !

But after a 15 min drive.. they looked like this

View attachment 20035 View attachment 20036

I am wondering if any of you are seeing the same amount of rust after just a few hours.. and if this has any long term effects on the Rotors ? solutions ?

Perfectly normal. Occurs on all cars.

All rotors rust

Here are some pictures of a 2012 Volt with 4235 miles after it was driven 40 miles. Note the rust on the rotors.

rust 1.JPG
rust 2.JPG
Volt Mileage.PNG

I have never seen anybody replace rotors because they are too rusty.

Even in the S you end up using the bakes a little bit when you drive.

They will never get to a point where they "rust through" and must be replaced because of that.

QUOTE]

My rotors and calipers are being replaced for rust today during my first anual servicing at 13 months, 11.5K miles in rainy Seattle. Guess I need to brake more and regen less.

Last edited:
I wonder if a properly bedded set of rotors would rust less, since the bedding process deposits pad material on the rotor surface?

1. From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.
  2. Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 10-15 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph and then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely and sit with your foot on the brake pedal, you will imprint pad material onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.
  3. The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.
  4. After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a while, using the brakes as little as possible. The brakes need only a few minutes to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still very hot.
  5. If full race pads, such as Hawk DTC-70 or Performance Friction PFC01 are being used, add four near-stops from 80 to 10 mph.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

What I would like to see from Tesla is ceramic or carbon/ceramic rotors like Chevy uses on the high-end Vettes. Of course, these wouldn't rust but the main advantage would be a significant decrease in unsprung weight and inertia. And that means better performance and range.

chevrolet-corvette-zr1-brake.jpg

I wish Tesla would figure out that they need to adjust the alloy or the heat treating of the rotors. I've never had a car that the rotors rust so bad that literally EVERY day that it rains or snows, even if I only park for a few hours, my brakes rust so bad they stick and clunk when I drive away. They started pulsating mid-winter, but Tesla service said they were fine, then this spring as it got worse, they finally decided to replace the rotors last week. It's sad that with less than 15,000 miles, they needed to be replaced. I had tried the bedding process listed above, after they first started pulsating, but no change, they just gradually got worse. Please, Tesla, figure this out, it's a simple problem to fix!