Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Rust on Rotors in a few hours ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The GM-developed process is ferritic-nitro carburizing (FNC), a form of case hardening. FNC is a gaseous process that “diffuses nitrogen and carbon into the metallic part” following production machining of the rotor's friction surface, explained Jim Webster, a GM brake engineer who helped spearhead the program.

The rotors are super-heated at 560°C (1040°F) for up to 24 hours within a nitrogen-rich atmosphere. The nitrogen atoms bond to the surface of the steel rotor, hardening it and increasing its strength.

The FNC process lays down a 10-µm-thick transfer layer across the entire rotor surface, including the center “hat” section and inside the central cooling vanes of ventilated rotors. (Ten microns is roughly 1/10 the width of a human hair.) The resulting friction surface is significantly more durable than that of a rotor without the FNC treatment, while remaining virtually impervious to corrosion and rust.

GM aims to double brake rotor service life with new FNC treatment - SAE International

Ever since I owned my first car with disk brakes, after a wash I drive a short distance to "dry the brakes."

+1 to this. The solution is to use the brakes. You wouldn't need to use them enough that they wear faster, but each drive they should be used a little bit to ensure proper operation. Otherwise brake components will rot to the point of necessitating replacement.

As an amusing side note, I have replaced rotors due to excessive rust. It's possible, but you would have to let your car sit outside for months and months to get to that point. I had a Ford ranger that sat in my driveway for almost a year. When I started driving it again, the rotors were soo bad that they failed inspection, twice, with 100 miles of driving in between to try to get through the rust. I eventually just bought replacement rotors/pads and swapped them myself.

Threads like this make me think.... have you never owned a car before?

Seriously. 3 pages? This is one of those 'lack of embarrassment' threads that leave me feeling hopeless for our species.

How would you feel if I wandered into your cube-farm for the first time and called an all-hands meeting to explain that the printer has lost the ability to produce the white sheets with words? I'd be impressed if you guys were able to explain how to reload the paper with as little judgement as shown here.

Congrats...I guess.

Seriously. 3 pages? This is one of those 'lack of embarrassment' threads that leave me feeling hopeless for our species.

How would you feel if I wandered into your cube-farm for the first time and called an all-hands meeting to explain that the printer has lost the ability to produce the white sheets with words? I'd be impressed if you guys were able to explain how to reload the paper with as little judgement as shown here.

Congrats...I guess.

Welp, it's time to pack up and go home, everyone. Someone finally figured out how to shame and entire thread. :p

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9