Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Fog After Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, can't seem to find many instances of this online.

Had windshield replaced.

As soon as cold or wet weather approaches, I get jumpy FSD visuals and on/off Front Camera Blinded errors.

I always precondition my car for like 15 minutes before going somewhere. Defog is on the entire time.

Service centre took a look at it, heaters are working, sensors are working. They blamed the HEPA filter which they replaced, but unfortunately the issue is exactly the same.

I am concerned the SC won't know "what to look for" in this instance. But Autopilot and some safety features are completely useless when it's cold outside which is all my driving in Canada this time of year.

1705335768256.png

^ Blob at center bottom (after 15 minutes precondition and 35 minutes of driving with defog on)
v Wide angle view of the same, showing fog going up the sides.
1705335775968.png

1705335830007.png

1705335843919.png

Another shot I took one day when it was snowing with a thermal camera to ensure the heater was working.

1705335909499.png

It was really bad, this was before Hepa replacement after 30 minutes preconditioning (Yes, I preconditioned that long to ensure it would go away before I started driving).

Anyone ever have this or any ideas? Should there be an antifog coating applied to the interior of the windshield in this area?

Attachments

• 1705335881305.png
    1705335881305.png
    916.3 KB · Views: 18
Update:

SC says the part number for the windshield has been recently updated, and there is a known issue that is supposed to be fixed by a future firmware update in regards to the camera heaters/defoggers.

Not sure if I buy that but could be plausible. So for now, no impact detection or autopilot when the temperature differential is high..... pretty frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Just a wild theory. I wonder if when they were installing, there was a great temp difference between windshield and camera assembly, which resulted in moisture being trapped in a sealed area. Maybe they needed to let everything sit and equalize before install?

Or...

Maybe they sealed an area that shouldn't be completely sealed, resulting in moisture being generated and trapped when you turn on the heat or AC.

Last edited:
I have not replaced my windshield but did get that one day, it caused the autowipers to go nuts. In the past I have removed the cover to clean the usual windshield crud/haze from the camera window.

I wonder if shimming the cover out just a hair would allow better air circulation and keep it from happening...

I have not replaced my windshield but did get that one day, it caused the autowipers to go nuts. In the past I have removed the cover to clean the usual windshield crud/haze from the camera window.

I wonder if shimming the cover out just a hair would allow better air circulation and keep it from happening...
Ok so that trim pops off and that area isn't sealed air tight? I was thinking of just popping it up a hair to allow better air flow.

I haven't had a chance yet to look at the service manual but if it's not some special air seal I might give your suggestion a go.

Ok so that trim pops off and that area isn't sealed air tight? I was thinking of just popping it up a hair to allow better air flow.

I haven't had a chance yet to look at the service manual but if it's not some special air seal I might give your suggestion a go.