Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major accident for me tonight (5/26) (New P85 arrives 7/8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very grateful to hear that you and your family are okay after the accident, and that there were no reported serious injuries in the other car involved. I believe I speak for everyone here in saying that we hope this gets resolved quickly and that you decide to get another Model S and stay active on TMC.

Sent via Tapatalk

@GasDoc: I'm so glad you and yours are okay! That sounds scary as hell.

Typically if the airbags deploy, the insurance company totals the car .......

I don't know how typical that is. My other half was in a minor accident years ago (rear ended, IIRC) and his steering wheel airbag deployed; they replaced the airbag and fixed the other minor damage. Maybe deployment in that kind of accident is unusual and/or insurance policies have changed over the years, though. I count my blessings that I haven't been in an airbag-deploying accident (in any car)!

I've seen the video of Elon explaining the safety features of the Model S and he seemed to take ownership. I think he had a lot of input on the design. He'll be glad to know it's working well to protect passengers.

Just to point out how much Tesla cares about their product's safety, I'll repeat a story I read in the child seats thread. People were wondering why they couldn't just install seats after the fact. Speculation was they would just need seat and belt anchors.

Turns out that the reason the child seats have to be a factory install is because of the rear bumper. It is reinforced to handle a 50 mph impact if seats are back there. No seats means they use that space as a better "crumple zone" to lessen whiplash. That is impressive to me. They are interested in engineering the best safety depending on our usage, not just building it easier or cheaper. No other car company in the world seems able to adjust their product on the fly like Tesla. They will analyze every accident and improve anything they can

When an accident drives the traction battery disconnect does this still leave the 12V system in tact such that doors can be opened?

This is a little more along the lines of why I started this thread.

At the time of impact the front airbags went off. I think the hazard lights were automatically triggered as well. What was annoying is that the radio kept playing as well as that irritating warning bell.

The car coasted and I stopped it with the brake and put on the manual emergency brake.

The center console worked for a while, I was trying to pull up the first responder guide. All were able to exit the car on their own from within.

After a while, the dome lights started to work intermittently and then went dark. The headlights and hazard lights kept on going.

When I make the pictures and dash cam video available it will be a testament to how well the model S is built and how safe it is. Cosmetically, my car looks like it had a bad fender bender, the M5 looks like it went through a shredder. A rear tire was torn off and found in the bushes with suspension components on it and the axle broken. The cast aluminum tire is laying around in pieces like a bomb went off. My nosecone is missing and frunk and front bumper are damaged but the rest of the car looks good. I think he hit me with a glancing blow, perpendicular to my front support behind the nosecone. At the ridiculously high rate of speed he was going, the support shredded the side of his car. My car was so sturdy (and heavy) that it was barely knocked off course.

Thanks Tesla, fortuitous timing and your sturdy construction likely saved four lives last night.

Thank you, GasDoc, for providing us the blow-by-blow details as they unfold. I add my relief to the others that all are okay.
If it's not inappropriate to divulge, can you suggest to us how fast you think the two vehicles were traveling?

Glad this turned ok for you. The car can be replaced. You can't. Based on this and other accidents, there seems to be an emerging picture of the MS as a very safe car.

I had similar thoughts as you when, last thursday, I watched a very high speed collision almost happen (60 mph car ran a red light and almost hit the car immediately ahead of me making a left turn). It was about 1/4 second from a major accident. The woman turning left was so shaken she couldn't drive. The other driver never even slowed down. It makes you think about the important things in life.

If it's not inappropriate to divulge, can you suggest to us how fast you think the two vehicles were traveling?

I was entering an intersection from a Stop sign, I was going slow, hadn't built up speed yet. The other car ran his Stop sign going at least 50 and maybe 80 mph. The video is terrifying.

Unlit, quiet residential street. Never even touched his brake. Easily could have killed someone.