Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New 2023 Model Y LR Battery Failed in 3 Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone I'm fresh on this forum and I want to share my recent unfortunate experience with a brand new 23MY LR.

I picked up a new model Y LR in early September from Dublin, and only after 3 days of driving(85 miles driven), the car was completely down after its first charge.

Couldn't access the car via the app or the key card. Called roadside service, they said the car was OFFLINE and later on towed it to a service center. They gave me a dirty Model 3 loaner, bunch of trash inside, and even the key card was beat up. After a week, no update from the service center. The app showed the car still in service mode. I had to drop by the service center to see what the problem was. The technician told me it needs a battery replacement due to a defective battery module. OH GOD!

A brand new 23MY LR has a dead battery in just 3 days. This is a very serious quality issue. I can't express how disappointed and frustrated I'm right now. Even worse, I referred a couple of my friends to order their new tesla. Just imagine how embarrassed when sharing this story with them.

Sucks!

Hello everyone I'm fresh on this forum and I want to share my recent unfortunate experience with a brand new 23MY LR.

I picked up a new model Y LR in early September from Dublin, and only after 3 days of driving(85 miles driven), the car was completely down after its first charge.

Couldn't access the car via the app or the key card. Called roadside service, they said the car was OFFLINE and later on towed it to a service center. They gave me a dirty Model 3 loaner, bunch of trash inside, and even the key card was beat up. After a week, no update from the service center. The app showed the car still in service mode. I had to drop by the service center to see what the problem was. The technician told me it needs a battery replacement due to a defective battery module. OH GOD!

A brand new 23MY LR has a dead battery in just 3 days. This is a very serious quality issue. I can't express how disappointed and frustrated I'm right now. Even worse, I referred a couple of my friends to order their new tesla. Just imagine how embarrassed when sharing this story with them.

Sucks!
Warranty...

You can expect most parts to either fail very early if they have a defect, or hold for the life of the car. Your battery failed very early (it had a defect) and it will be replaced under warranty. that's what a warranty is for. There's no way to detect all defects at the factory... NASA must be the closest to 100% defect-free but it costs a fortune to produce things that way, and lives are at stake. You cannot expect this level from any consumer things you buy.
It's extremely frustrating for sure, but it happens.

You can expect most parts to either fail very early if they have a defect, or hold for the life of the car. Your battery failed very early (it had a defect) and it will be replaced under warranty. that's what a warranty is for. There's no way to detect all defects at the factory... NASA must be the closest to 100% defect-free but it costs a fortune to produce things that way, and lives are at stake. You cannot expect this level from any consumer things you buy.
Would they replace it with a new brand new battery or a refurbished one?

Not good. Your case is an outlier, extremely rare. If all your friends bought cars, none of them would have this problem. PITA for sure, hope it doesn't take too long to fix it. Better yet, it would be better to have them take it back and give you another car. But I don't think that'll happen. Keep us informed, hang in there.

When millions of anything are manufactured a small percentage of the components will be defective - that’s why products have warranties. The warranty offered by all the OEMs that I worked for specifically state that remanufactured parts will be used as they see fit and I can remember only a few out of the thousands of my customers even noticing or caring. Having said that, I would push for a new battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Thanks for all the information everyone. After almost 2 weeks being in the service center, they finally message me today that my model y is ready for pick up. Service summary in the tesla app only states HV battery replacement, and Refilled Vacuum Cooling system. I will pick up the car this evening and see if they replaced it with a brand new battery or just a refurbished one. I definitely want a new car instead of just a battery replacement. I know it's a wishful thinking. Not sure if the record will impact the resale value of the car.

Now I recall the battery was draining much faster than I expected for the first 3 days of driving. Battery down from 80% when picking up at the Tesla shop to around 25% before I charged it. Given only 85 miles driven. The loaner model 3 we have has a much accurate range estimate. After driving with the loaner 3 for almost 2 weeks, my wife said she has a wrong impaction that we bought a model 3, not a Y.

Any updates on this @EASTCUT Y ?
Got the car back 2 days ago. I asked the technician if it’s a brand new battery or a refurbished. He said if the service invoice doesn’t list it as a refurbished, then it’s a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_5701.jpeg
    IMG_5701.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: Bouba
Awesome, now you've got your new car!!
Oh man, the restored happiness only last for another 3 days. When I was on the freeway last night, couple alerts popped up: BMS_a036, vehicle may not restart! I was freaked out. I called the manager at the SC, and he said I need to bring the car back in asap, AGAIN! It’s really disappointing and frustrating. What a wonderful experience!!