Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MagBak wireless charger...a couple of questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

In my search for a holder/charger for my iPhone 12, I might have settled on the MagBak for my Model Y (2023).

I do have a couple of questions...

I was hesitant to purchase a holder that had adhesive due to issues I've had with other holder (on other cars) with the adhesive melting, getting sticky, etc. I live in the Washington, DC area and the summers get hot and humid.

Does the 3M adhesive cause much of a mess over time? If I do want to remove it, is it easy to do so?

Also, I would probably install this on the left-hand side of the display (the right side seems to be a little far off). It seems though that the phone display might get blocked by the steering wheel. It might depend on how the wheel is aligned? Has anyone experienced the phone display getting blocked?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions...

Had mine for over a year. Live in the Midwest. Has gone through weeks and weeks of 140 degree cabin temps in the summer and have had no issues with adhesive.

Yes steering wheel does affect it. You can adjust it as much as you want but it’ll be in the way of some of the screen. Face ID does work to some extent depending on steering wheel position. I put a yoke in my car so this is a non issue for me now. But if you have a regular round wheel expect some issues. With that said, I recommend it 10/10

I might go for the Magbak, but then I'd have to get new cases for our phones and I don't mind charging with the cable. I might actually prefer that.

So, I've also been trying to find this one by Temai (pic attached). However, whenever I follow a link to it, it brings me to a Temai wireless charging model. Does anyone have the regular phone mount by Temai (non charging)?

Attachments

• Temai mount.jpg
    Temai mount.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Temai charging model.jpg
    Temai charging model.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 112
I might go for the Magbak, but then I'd have to get new cases for our phones and I don't mind charging with the cable. I might actually prefer that.

So, I've also been trying to find this one by Temai (pic attached). However, whenever I follow a link to it, it brings me to a Temai wireless charging model. Does anyone have the regular phone mount by Temai (non charging)?
I tried many like these but they rattle and shake too much. The magbak is solid so it doesn’t shake around which is mostly why I went with it

My Magbak's (plural) arrive on Tuesday (thanks to the Holiday), so I will let you know later :) I got both right and left, so my wife will have one as well. I also purchased a magbak case for her iPhone 11 pro max, but they don't make a case for my Galaxy Z Fold 4, so I will be using a generic case and a ring magnet purchased on Amazon.

Later,

Keith

PS: I have a yoke wheel and swivel center screen, your mileage may vary from mine :D

Hi Everyone,

In my search for a holder/charger for my iPhone 12, I might have settled on the MagBak for my Model Y (2023).

I do have a couple of questions...

I was hesitant to purchase a holder that had adhesive due to issues I've had with other holder (on other cars) with the adhesive melting, getting sticky, etc. I live in the Washington, DC area and the summers get hot and humid.

Does the 3M adhesive cause much of a mess over time? If I do want to remove it, is it easy to do so?

Also, I would probably install this on the left-hand side of the display (the right side seems to be a little far off). It seems though that the phone display might get blocked by the steering wheel. It might depend on how the wheel is aligned? Has anyone experienced the phone display getting blocked?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions...
I purchased this organizer that puts a physical cover over the rear of the screen.

The included phone holder is in two parts ... the arm, which physically slides into a mount point on the cover, and holder piece. You can simply toss out the holder, it's trash. Most holders use a standard ball mount and can be attached to the arm, so buy a holder of your choice and put it on the arm.

The Tesla's screen placement means most phone mounting positions will either block the screen or obstruct some of the bottom windshield view.

I have had the magbak for 8 months, the BEST
btw, check out their Rimcases to save your wheels

if Magbak is listening, please make the equivalent charger for the passenger as my wife would like to put her's up on the display

I don’t think so. It is shaped to fit the top left corner. Maybe if you installed it upside down it might fit the bottom right corner, but what good would that do?
You could purchase the one made for the top passenger side of the screen and mount it upside down on the bottom drivers side of the screen, but the wire would be at the top of the mount instead of the bottom... not really a problem, but there would need a little slack in the wire for strain relief.

Keith

I have had the magbak for 8 months, the BEST
btw, check out their Rimcases to save your wheels

if Magbak is listening, please make the equivalent charger for the passenger as my wife would like to put her's up on the display
They already have one, I have one on either side of the screen for myself and my wife. They just need to make a greater variety of magbak cases. They don't make one for my phone so I had to make do with a regular case and stick on magnet ring.

Keith

You could purchase the one made for the top passenger side of the screen and mount it upside down on the bottom drivers side of the screen, but the wire would be at the top of the mount instead of the bottom... not really a problem, but there would need a little slack in the wire for strain relief.

Keith
Thanks Keith, I didn’t know they made a right hand model. It makes sense though, they’d want to sell to those markets too. That might work for Fourdoor.

Anyone do both left and right mounts on the display? Would be great to see, please post

I did both, but not really worth a picture is it? It just looks like your display now has ears :) My wife will put her phone on in landscape mode on long trips when she is watching Netflix or YouTube, and it doesn't really block the nav screen unless you need to hit the virtual buttons along the right side for some reason. I have a Galaxy Fold 4, and when open it covers the speedo reading... but I have a hansshow display so that isn't an issue for me. Car looks like a spaceship cockpit when I have the hansshow display, main display, two large phones, and my camera based rear view mirror all glowing away :D

Keith

Based on reviews I’ve seen, this one leaves indentations in the dash. Otherwise, looks great. Such a shame, though.

Hilarious Keith
but def useful
your setup is on my radar
any issues with rhe hansshow installed and the T is at the service center? Red flag for them?
No issues with service center interactions... and as of last night I am out of warranty (50,223 miles). I put in two service requests at 48,xxx miles to get last min warranty claims handled before going over 50K.

Keith