Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made My Own Wireless Phone Charging Pad! 2024 MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wireless phone charger was never reliable, and made my android phone dangerously hot. After numerous Service Center visits, decided to take action on my own, and produce an affordable, workable/reliable option similar to existing system/location that retains all existing components and is non-destructive. There are some real design issues with the OEM charger design, so I have learned. I will provide general details for my mod below (it's gonna be a bit messy, hopefully helpful) with video links where available:

1) Remove existing charger trim and disconnect charger - tape plug cable to wires to prevent vibration. I will not use this 12v source that was plugged into the current charger for simplicity sake (need voltage reduction units). Found the plug adapter and wiring but chose not to use it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyfoo2xQkfs&t=494s

2) Center Console USB C Data Module Removal and USB Cable Path

I used two paint can openers "church Keys" to pull the base of the module out (bottom slots - reference video)
Remember to correct any bent clips prior to reinstallation.

Drill 2 X 1/2" holes below USB C, verify drill position for internal cable clearance where seated at the bottom location, install rubber grommets (or not) with USB C (module end) to Micro USB (chargers) cables
1712772649433.png
1712772621318.png

3) Run cables along each side of the Center Console, under the removed trim, and through closest access holes on each end of connection (see videos, use light source to locate closest, non-interference access entry and exit locations).

Tape charger end of cables up and out of the way of the trim for trim reinstallation, leave 2" hanging down onto existing reinstalled charger surface - cables can be pushed in out of slot above trim/gap for final positioning. Leave additional cable slack hanging out of USM module hole for insertion and module attachment and reinstallation. Reinstall trim panel/charger.

Wrap cables with cloth tape so as to prevent new rattles:

Cables:
USB C to Micro USB Cable, Type C to Micro USB $5.90 ea. / Brand: SCOVEE (thinner plug caliper)
1712772829193.png

Amazon.com

Cloth Tape:
Amazon / Wire Harness Cloth Electrical Tape Wire Loom Tape Wiring Harness Automotive Cloth Tape $5.99

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Automotive-Adhesive-Protection-Insulation/dp/B09S6LJKNL/ref=sr_1_3_pp?crid=3JO1C54FKPVLD&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.bY31_eMIoYdsOaxwbs_dv881JUm7zk9k81cQtjKjsvDuGv3_-qCJzM1HxfduXrRWG6tuSs-dxrHdOe-J7jjmNyzjGCcd5xMb56i260RkHJ5zN8ySpmAPZZ1XfUWwEBp5V59C0Yz3e0L1jxMkIq23Gr_EzLeI3Mq8tiAyEwiHR8Gasn9Zhbm-ryunv6fblkIetVSN8evCzYFxiIt3M-sHX-wjYY0tLEspkbjVELIBxeA.G9qfZ8oZn-ohkiUDf_bM5PBx9KZfrILwpct7U5gDboU&dib_tag=se&keywords=wire+harness+cloth+electrical+tape&qid=1712775011&sprefix=wire+harness+cloth+electrical+tape,aps,111&sr=8-3&th=1

1712775048284.png

4) Purchase, disassemble 2 cheap Walmart charging pads;
Walmart / onn. 5W Wireless Charging Pad, Black $10.88 ea.
1712773100655.png
1712773119234.png

I tried numerous chargers/internals, this worked best for me - YMMV Beware alternate option on Amazon for increased charg rate ( typically dictataed by your phones internal structure/components.

4) Remove small Phillips head screws (4) located under charger rubber feet pads. Charger coil and circuit board stuck to inner housing, pry up very carefully, brittle. discard charger housing and internal light cover.

5) Position charger components on the existing charger alcantara surface in a pre-determined location that work best for your phone(s). You may be able to use the existing adhesive - otherwise not important. Use a 1/8" thick rubber adhesive backed strip to maintain the charger components position, AND to provide the proper resting surface for your phone/cover pad (later) - as pictured below.
1712773929556.png

any type adhesive-backed strip material should suffice, I used remnant from a roll purchased from McMaster Carr - Should be able to find something from amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, ect...
The charger will still "strike through" the cover pad (later)

McMaster Carr / Silicone Foam Strip with Adhesive Back / 3/8" Wide, 1/8" Thick
McMaster-Carr

6) The existing charger is rather deep, so these charging components/Cables/Pad still sit sufficiently low in the same location on top of existing, looking identical to stock.
Amazon / Tesla Model 3 Model Y Wireless Charger Anti-Slip Silicone Mat, Center Console Wireless Charging Pad: $8.99
1712774294844.png

Finished Product:
No exposed wires
Charges every placement
Never gets hot, barely warm
Charge Rate: 50%/hour - good enough for me!
1712774725060.jpeg

While not the most sophisticated design route, it is an attempt to restore stock appearance and utility, until Tesla can remedy their limiting phone charging application.

I am sure I left out some details. - feel free to ask. I did research other options, including existing module rebuild, but ran out of time. Additionally, there is no real apparent (to me) way to remove and replace existing components without considerable amounts of permanent modifications, likely creating additional issues. Now onto seat/trunk rattle resolution...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UoMDeacon