Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Brake Service £358??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3P is 3 years old, and I've recently noticed a slight rubbing noise coming from the nearside front brake disc/pads when I'm driving slowly windows down, and next to parked cars etc. Appreciating brakes don't get used much so regularly turn-down ReGen and go through a brake burnishing process (5-10 hard stops from 50-0mph). Brakes perform superbly, no judder etc, but getting tired of the noise, although this might go with repeated use... It's not a stuck stone, I've had this before and that sounds much much worse. I'm convinced it a combo of corrosion on both disc surface and caliper pins that the pads slide/move on.

I've done brake work before (on several Porsches) but recently had elbow surgery so thought I'll get Tesla to sort. Quote has come in at £358!!! (It came in around a minute after I submitted service request, so assuming this is an automated system stock response).

I'm thinking £358 for a brake service (inc possible fluid change) is a little pricey, especially given I've no idea what they might do? Can anybody recommend a Tesla indie in the North East region, or perhaps a better way to go about this with Tesla SC?

Thanks, Mark.

8689E204-1668-4E3F-8D0B-FAE42950682A_1_102_o.jpeg
909C7965-36DB-475C-8D45-CC167CA7360C_1_102_o.jpeg

I doubt they'd travel from Cheltenham to Durham for this!

They came to Suffolk to service mine - similar distance I guess? (and I, too, have seen the Scotland YouTube ...)

They do mobile service ... no idea if they can do the brakes, but they seem to do anything that can be done on your drive / work car park, and they cater for all sorts of EV brands' maintenance

Last edited:
My M3P is 3 years old, and I've recently noticed a slight rubbing noise coming from the nearside front brake disc/pads when I'm driving slowly windows down, and next to parked cars etc. Appreciating brakes don't get used much so regularly turn-down ReGen and go through a brake burnishing process (5-10 hard stops from 50-0mph). Brakes perform superbly, no judder etc, but getting tired of the noise, although this might go with repeated use... It's not a stuck stone, I've had this before and that sounds much much worse. I'm convinced it a combo of corrosion on both disc surface and caliper pins that the pads slide/move on.

I've done brake work before (on several Porsches) but recently had elbow surgery so thought I'll get Tesla to sort. Quote has come in at £358!!! (It came in around a minute after I submitted service request, so assuming this is an automated system stock response).

I'm thinking £358 for a brake service (inc possible fluid change) is a little pricey, especially given I've no idea what they might do? Can anybody recommend a Tesla indie in the North East region, or perhaps a better way to go about this with Tesla SC?

Thanks, Mark.

View attachment 936984View attachment 936986

Certainly looks expensive to me! Tesla Edinburgh charged me £79.75 plus VAT to free up seized caliper pins, clean and lube brakes all round (May last year). However, that did not include any surface clean of the discs. Brakes had not been noisy and were perfectly functional. (Despite doing the low regen thing and some strong braking routines the brake surfaces still don't look pretty.)

Tesla have got back and confirmed £160+VAT for brake strip and clean, plus fluid change, which is not too bad. I’m also getting some advice from Cleevely Mobile, as they can come out and do it at home.
OK, so Tesla have just adjusted the estimate again (as they had included Cabin/Pollen filter which I got done December). Estimate now at a respectable £115 + VAT, and booked in for next Tuesday :)

In terms of what they plan to do - brake strip and clean (all 4 wheels), greasing caliper/pad pins, and resurfacing brake pads. Brake fluid tested, and an optional (extra cost) brake fluid replacement will be done if needed. While-I-wait appointment 2-3 hours.

Reactions: ringi
OK, so Tesla have just adjusted the estimate again (as they had included Cabin/Pollen filter which I got done December). Estimate now at a respectable £115 + VAT, and booked in for next Tuesday :)

In terms of what they plan to do - brake strip and clean (all 4 wheels), greasing caliper/pad pins, and resurfacing brake pads. Brake fluid tested, and an optional (extra cost) brake fluid replacement will be done if needed. While-I-wait appointment 2-3 hours.

What is prompting Tesla to revise quotes?

Have they been adding things to the job over and above what you asked for?

I’m interested in brake check/lube and cabin filters (so I guess your first revised quote) but would be rather peeved if they added non warranty work such as unnecessary tyre rotations. I appreciate you can remove extras, but shouldn’t be needing to.

I’ll probably end up with Cleverly though as last time our planned visit prior to MOT got preempted with a warranty fix by Tesla which meant that no time to get a pre MOT service check in and after Tesla & MOT ‘ok’, decided to put things off until after winter, ie now.

If you got that far, Interesting to know what Cleverly quoted as last year for a (at Clevely) brake check at time of service we got quoted significantly more in its own right (as an extra on top of regular service items/checks) than many have quoted in the past for at home brake service. I wonder what on site offers over and above at home service as far a brake check to warrant what looks like a significant additional cost.

Cleverly are pretty open with pricing. Mobile services - Cleevely Electric Vehicles Gloucestershire
Tesla servicing (different pricing, as we have learnt they have different requirements) – Model S £168 Model X £192 Model 3 £180 Brake strip and clean £216

At fully charged live, I checked with them, and the Brake strip and clean are an extra on top of the servicing. Main thing they said they do with the servicing is looking carefully at the suspension. Prices are about 20% lower if you want to take it to them, but they cover the whole of the Britain.

Currently about a 3 month waiting period for mobile. They'll schedule several jobs in the same area on the same day.

Couldn't find any local HEVRA garages who were remotely interested in looking at a tesla. M3LR is 16k miles and a year old, was encouraged to get the service done sooner rather than later, but will probably wait for it to hit 2 years.

What is prompting Tesla to revise quotes?

Have they been adding things to the job over and above what you asked for?

I’m interested in brake check/lube and cabin filters (so I guess your first revised quote) but would be rather peeved if they added non warranty work such as unnecessary tyre rotations. I appreciate you can remove extras, but shouldn’t be needing to.

I’ll probably end up with Cleverly though as last time our planned visit prior to MOT got preempted with a warranty fix by Tesla which meant that no time to get a pre MOT service check in and after Tesla & MOT ‘ok’, decided to put things off until after winter, ie now.

If you got that far, Interesting to know what Cleverly quoted as last year for a (at Clevely) brake check at time of service we got quoted significantly more in its own right (as an extra on top of regular service items/checks) than many have quoted in the past for at home brake service. I wonder what on site offers over and above at home service as far a brake check to warrant what looks like a significant additional cost.
Tesla have had to revise quotes as the initial one was an automated response which was way off and inc stuff I didn‘t need. Spoke to James at Cleverly, who gave me a lot of time and great advice, ie do a brake burnish (either in service mode or track mode, each option no ReGen). He could also have done me a mobile appointment in 4 weeks if needed. I‘ve tried some hard-ish stops but not yet done the service nor track mode. For piece of mind I’m booked into Tesla (only 10 miles away), given it‘s £138 for a strip and clean of all brakes, and it’s good practice to get the pads and discs checked resurfaced plus calliper/pad pins greased so pads don‘t stick and also uniformly meet the discs.

Cleverly are pretty open with pricing. Mobile services - Cleevely Electric Vehicles Gloucestershire
Tesla servicing (different pricing, as we have learnt they have different requirements) – Model S £168 Model X £192 Model 3 £180 Brake strip and clean £216

Just been quoted brake strip and clean at £162 (inc VAT) but PER AXLE.

Wanting a clean and pins replaced and lubed as required. £324 strikes me as a lot of money vs previous posts.

Reactions: M3noob

Wanting a clean and pins replaced and lubed as required. £324 strikes me as a lot of money vs previous posts.
What is their hourly rate? if its £100+ then there you go.
As others have said there is nothing special about Tesla brakes. Any semi competent mechanic could do it.
I changed many many sets of brake pads in my youth and they are all pretty similar

Reactions: M3noob

Who by? I had brake pads removed, cleaned out and put back with grease, brake fluid test and MOT type suspension and braking test done for £125 for second year service at a competent local garage. I suspect this should have been nearer £175 as they gave me a discount for failing to provide an estimate in advance, as requested.

Reactions: Jason71
Who by? I had brake pads removed, cleaned out and put back with grease, brake fluid test and MOT type suspension and braking test done for £125 for second year service at a competent local garage. I suspect this should have been nearer £175 as they gave me a discount for failing to provide an estimate in advance, as requested.
Apologies. By Cleevely EV, ie as in a previous post. Its gone from £216 (total) to £324 (£162 per axle).