Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 bottles of RBF 660 bleeding brakes and still have no brakes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @dsgerbc!

There's also a big difference between flushing fluid to get fresh fluid in the system vs a full re-fill after you have air in it. They may actually want you to go to the closest caliper when bleeding air out in order to get the ABS unit filled first and with the least back pressure.

So I'm with you that if you're flushing the traditional path makes sense, but for actual bleeding of air I'd probably use their method.
I think you are right. I haven't done my tesla brakes yet but I did my BMW brakes 4 months ago, BMW software (ISTA) also wants you to bleed brake calipers from closest first.
Flushing is a different step.

Last edited:
Fixed.

The master cylinder seemed to be the culprit. Didn't initially fix it, but after some more bleeding today, I finally have a stiff pedal. Even though I got no visible/audible air out of the system while doing so(weird). Took it out for a test drive everything seems perfect. Initial bite is right where expected, no problems. Haven't activated ABS again yet, but there was tons of traffic. I'll try that tonight and if that goes well, I'll go through the brake burnishing process in the service mode of the car so I can bed in the new rotors/pads. I can't run the Tesla Toolbox 3 tests again to see what my pressure is at because my subscription expired, but it is working great. Thank you all for your assistance!

I am still running the cheaper Prestone DOT4 fluid for now, but I can atleast make it to my alignment appointment tomorrow! I'll wait until the week before my next track day to swap out to the RBF 660 because if I have to bleed one more brake line this week I'll go insane. LMAO

As far as the best brake bleeder I've found to use in case anyone is curious I highly recommend the FirstInfo A1163HK that can be purchased on Amazon. It has fittings for every Tesla and 5 other fittings for various vehicles. It holds high pressure GREAT, has a nice convenient shut-off valve, pressure release button, the works! If you have a Motive bleeder already you can just purchase their adapter A1163HKT3, but you'll need a quick disconnect fitting to make it fit the hose on the Motive bleeder. The fitting is a little uncommon I think though, because I haven't seen that one anywhere else before, maybe its proprietary. It also comes with three different quick disconnect fittings for other types of adapters you may already own. Quality piece of kit with lifetime parts warranty through manufacturer according to the material inside the box. The cap is amazing, and doesn't leak any air or fluid. It's also aluminum so it should stand up to repeated uses quite well.

I know the Motive bleeder is very popular among enthusiasts, myself included in recent years, but the two I purchased leaked around the gage area. Maybe it's because the Tesla requires you to pump it to 30 psi instead of like most cars I've done in past which is 15-18psi. The gage itself didn't leak, but the fitting through the plastic bottle with no rubber seal of any kind there(horrible design imo). Could probably be fixed with 2 rubber washers sandwiched in between 2 flat washers and then the sides of the fitting. I purchased 2 and they both leaked. I also tried the Aries 70921-2 bleeder and it was garbage. Links below to the FirstInfo products I'm referring to.

Bleeder kit: (It comes with the Tesla cap so you don't need to buy it separately if you go this route)

Standalone Master cylinder Cap:

Do not buy this 3L FirstInfo bleeder, because the quick disconnect will not fit their own Tesla Model 3 specific fitting

Thanks again everyone for your assistance/guidance through this ordeal. Glad to have this project completed.

Not sure where my old Motive bleeder is, so I decided to upgrade and purchased the Smotivepro 2L bleeder which looks much better. I'm a bit concerned you say the Aries was garbage because it looks very similar to this SMOTIVEPRO bleeder, not sure if one is a cheap knock off or if they are manufactured together. Wish I had seen your post before I clicked buy earlier this week. I guess I'll try the one I got and if it sucks return it. I guess the other option is just return it now.

Why specifically do you say the Aries was garbage? What makes the Firstinfo bleeder so much better?

If air is let inside the ABS-unit, it is needs to be bleed via the bleed mode.
Regular classic bleeding only will not do it.
He's right about the ABS module with air in it. If you opened the system allowing the master cylinder to go empty, you have issues (ask me how I know). Then you will need to cycle the ABS module to get the air to dissipate.
By this writing you have probably learned and solved this.

QR

I know this was quite the thread with bleed challenges. Noticed new service mode has brake bleed options. Thoughts? If anybody gets some experience with these functions please post.

IMG_3427.jpeg

I know this was quite the thread with bleed challenges. Noticed new service mode has brake bleed options. Thoughts? If anybody gets some experience with these functions please post.

View attachment 992380
Its most probably exactly as the ABS brake bleeding funktions other manufacturers has via OBD. Runs the ABS Pump for a specific time to make it possible to bleed out air from the ABS Unit.
Its needed if you get air to enter that area.

Consult the service manual (free to tesla account holders) and look at section 3303 - Brake Pipes and Hoses. In there the bleed procedure is described in detail. It looks to me as though they have taken certain tasks from Toolbox and put them now in Service Mode, so the information should directly translate.

If you carry out a stiffness test, you should see at least 55 bar. I haven't looked at the updated service menu myself yet but will have a quick play soon to check out the other options. All in all, a very useful update.

Reactions: CraigB1960

View attachment 992380
Thanks for pointing this out! Looks like they have added all the features of their "Service Mode Plus", which used to be "for repair professionals with a diagnostic software subscription." This is excellent, now we can flush the brake system (including ABS module) easily.

Reactions: Mash and AAKEE