Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had decided that the Ludicrous upgrade was just more than I need, but these data are wonderful to see. I'm now reconsidering.

What do we think the last possible date is for signing up for the upgrade and committing to the $500 non-refundable deposit?

Well, if Elon is sticking by his original 6 month period, then I'd guess the last day to sign up would be January 17th. By then there should be a lot more folks running around with P85DLs with more statistical sampling of data.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorka:
Can you help me (us) out?
First off much thanks for your graphs and work on the performance.

I am color blind. That said, can you perhaps distinguish the lines with something other than COLOR? One bold one thin third dotted?

Second, naming the graphs would be helpful... i.e. YO MAMA RUN 30 -> 60 SOC = xx%, max power OFF, 21" tires, 56 Deg F, firmware = x.y.z

I am not being critical but in the spirit of discovery, the categorization and labeling of test results is important and as time goes on, we can forget the details....

Keep up the great work guys, I look forward to more instrumented testing.

Sorry about that. I was trying to sneak these in during Thanksgiving dinner. Having my wife ask me why I took so long in the bathroom several times while at her parents house :) TMI?

Well, if Elon is sticking by his original 6 month period, then I'd guess the last day to sign up would be January 17th. By then there should be a lot more folks running around with P85DLs with more statistical sampling of data.

Yeh, hoping they don't stick to the six months since it took quite some time for the upgrade to even be available. I'd really prefer to not drop this money until I (somehow) have a chance to drive a P85D in my area. If it were a refundable deposit, no problem. . .

VERY glad to see the data and how close it appears the P90D and P85D are. Only other concern is the P90D cars aren't running what was promised. We THINK they will at some point, and then what happens to all of us P85Ds when we're no longer evenly matched to the P90D? :)

Yeh, hoping they don't stick to the six months since it took quite some time for the upgrade to even be available. I'd really prefer to not drop this money until I (somehow) have a chance to drive a P85D in my area. If it were a refundable deposit, no problem. . .

VERY glad to see the data and how close it appears the P90D and P85D are. Only other concern is the P90D cars aren't running what was promised. We THINK they will at some point, and then what happens to all of us P85Ds when we're no longer evenly matched to the P90D? :)

That's been my paranoid conspiracy thought 2 seconds after I read the MT article......that they'd wait until all the P85Ds that are going to upgrade to have upgraded and *then* unleash the MT software on all existing P90DLs leaving the P85DLs behind. If they did it before the P85D upgrades, nobody would upgrade their P85D to Ludicrous.

But the reality is that in order to knock an additional .5 seconds off the 1/4 mile of the P90DL's current 11.4 seconds 1/4 mile will require a lot more power than the jump from 414 to 455KW so it's really hard to believe that it was software alone unless it was intended as a one way mission like the Orion marauder in "Journey to Babel".

I had the opportunity to test drive a P90D with Ludicrous.

I can can tell you for a fact that it is cut above Insane....Two cuts above Insane.

Ludicrous pins you back in your seat and tries to keep you there, like it's not going to turn you loose. You can barely move your arms during a full pedal Ludicrous launch. Ludicrous will actually cause you to get light headed and start heading into tunnel vision from the change in blood flow. I'd hate to be a passenger in an unexpected Ludicrous launch

I've seen enough from that test drive and these results to know for myself that this upgrade is worth the $5k they're asking for it, that's as it stands right now.

$7.5k, no. But $5k, or about 2.5k plus 2.5k for labor, I think it's worth that right now.

Last edited:
That's been my paranoid conspiracy thought 2 seconds after I read the MT article......that they'd wait until all the P85Ds that are going to upgrade to have upgraded and *then* unleash the MT software on all existing P90DLs leaving the P85DLs behind. If they did it before the P85D upgrades, nobody would upgrade their P85D to Ludicrous.
Your theory is interesting and supported by the 11.4s that P90DLs run in the wild, which is probably what P85DLs will also run. (Hopefully we'll see some drag strip time slips soon).

One hole in your theory is that if Tesla was holding back the 10.9, as you suspect, they wouldn't have promoted 10.9 for the P90DL in the design studio. Instead, they would have promoted 11.4, which would be accepted as the "Ludicrous ET" for both the P85DL and P90DL. Then, after all P85Ds were upgraded, they could "discover" the ingredient to make P90DLs go 10.9 and, possibly even charge for that "Ludi-plus" upgrade.

The good vibes I'm getting from this thread are leading me to believe my P90DL may actually run 10.9 someday. After reading myself to sleep following the 691 HP controversy, I was starting to have doubts if 10.9 would be delivered.

Well, if Elon is sticking by his original 6 month period, then I'd guess the last day to sign up would be January 17th. By then there should be a lot more folks running around with P85DLs with more statistical sampling of data.Sorry about that. I was trying to sneak these in during Thanksgiving dinner. Having my wife ask me why I took so long in the bathroom several times while at her parents house :) TMI?

Again thanks to you and yo momma and others for putting all this information together in a easy to understand way ..... I jumped in on day one and signed up for the upgrade so seeing it come out positive is reassuring. I really felt that down the road having a P85DL would help in resale as well as the immediate benefits as it's owner ..... I bet like many owners yesterday on Thanksgiving, I had a ball taking family members on rides and scaring them a bit using the self driving mode ... :)
- - - Updated - - -

I picked my car up today with the ludicrous upgrade completed. I will test it with the PowerBox and powertools the next couple of nights and post the results Sunday. My butt dyno is not very sensitive, so I'll stick to quantitative measures.

I turned on max battery power when I picked it up. It said it would need 55 minutes to get ready and it took about that. I drove 15 miles and then stopped for lunch while it was still preparing. It was ready immediately after lunch. So, the heater stayed on while the car was off. However, later I parked it for several hours and the max battery power was now off. So, it looks like it stays on for short stops, but not long ones.

What would be the best way to measure the power draw of max battery power and compare it to the normal vampire load?

If Others agree, I will start a new thread for the performance measurements. This thread is titled "Ludicrous upgrade scheduling" which will make it hard to find the performance measurements later. I know there are already some performance measurements in this thread which is I'm not sure a new thread is appropriate.

If Others agree, I will start a new thread for the performance measurements. This thread is titled "Ludicrous upgrade scheduling" which will make it hard to find the performance measurements later. I know there are already some performance measurements in this thread which is I'm not sure a new thread is appropriate.

I think that's probably a good idea. And I expect if we request it, the mods would move the posts in this thread with performance measurements to the new thread.

Thanks!

I was wondering if Tesla is missing an opportunity here. I'm assuming that the $5k is mostly cost for Tesla and they aren't making a ton of money here. I also heard that outside of CA they may need to swap in a temp battery pack and ship off the old one and then when it comes back swap back.

I wonder if they have looked into how much more it would cost to just give us a brand new battery pack and then recycle/refurbish our old pack. It seems that for say $10k-$15k they could sell us a P90DL and that some would take that option perhaps.

I was wondering if Tesla is missing an opportunity here. I'm assuming that the $5k is mostly cost for Tesla and they aren't making a ton of money here. I also heard that outside of CA they may need to swap in a temp battery pack and ship off the old one and then when it comes back swap back.

I wonder if they have looked into how much more it would cost to just give us a brand new battery pack and then recycle/refurbish our old pack. It seems that for say $10k-$15k they could sell us a P90DL and that some would take that option perhaps.

But when did they start using the larger diameter motor shaft for the P-ness versions--is that just used in the 90?

Attachments

• new_motors.png
    new_motors.png
    453.1 KB · Views: 128

This may be why they asked for deposits so early on; to measure actual interest. If the numbers were small, a pack swap would make sense. With larger numbers, training service centers to perform the modifications in the field makes more sense. There are only so many refurb packs Tesla can use.

That option exists but costs $27,500 ($22,500 for the 90 kWh pack + $5,000 for Ludicrous).

Pricing was sort of announced but the option doesn't exist. There are currently no 90 packs available for purchase and they don't know when they will be available. Additionally, the upgrade requires more than just the fuse and the contactors in the pack and the current upgrade replaces components other than what's in the pack. This is straight from Tanya during a phone conversation. She was not able to tell me what those other changes where, however.

I have never heard of the pack swapping for those outside CA. That certainly does changes logistics somewhat. However, I'm not convinced the core charge will be advantageous to Tesla regardless of shipping. The shipping costs are probably less than $1000, round trip $2000. I'm not convinced the old pack is worth enough money to make it worthwhile for Tesla to provide a 90kWh pack, esp. given Tesla can earn far more profit by having that pack in a new car.

Keep in mind that even if they recycle/refurb the pack they still have to ship the old pack anyways, so Tesla may not end up saving any money at all offering a 90kWh pack.

I've been trying to get details on the 85->90 pack upgrade for a little while now. I plan on inquiring further tomorrow.

Specifically, I was told before that I could pay the $2500 "core" charge and keep my 85 pack when upgrading. Considering an 85 pack from a salvage isn't all that much less expensive, and I'd end up with a 90 pack for my car along with an 85 pack that has a well known history and status, I've been considering it and trying to get timing info on the whole thing, but apparently that info isn't available. Edit: Note, I'm not really referring to Ludicrous, just the pack swap. I'm honestly not too interested in shelling out $5k on top for a minor performance update.

I want another 85 pack for an upcoming project (EV conversion), and if I can get a 90 pack for my P85D as well in the process for basically the same overall price, then I'm probably going to do that.