Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
90/85 * 425 is about 450 so your numbers would seem to dove tail nicely with the capacity difference. The rest could be measurement error, SoC or simply the rumored improved chemistry in the 90 pack.

I'm hoping we can squeeze just a little more out of the P85D.
90/85 = 1.05882353
455 (max battery power for P90D) / 1.05882353 = 429,72

I know it is tempting to compare 90 Kwh to 85 Kwh but that ratio has little to do with the Max Kw. Kwh is total capacity while Max Kw is the peak power provided at a single point in time. For example, it is possible to have the same Max Kw provided from an 85 Kwh battery as a 90 Kwh battery. The difference would be that the 90 Kwh battery will provide the same amount of power for a longer period of time. You see this all the time with hobby Lipo batteries where a higher capacity battery can have a lower "C" rating (max current) than a lower capacity battery. In that case the lower capacity battery actually provides a higher peak power.

Understood, but using your example, two batteries of the same chemistry but different capacities will source different power at the same "C" rate. I was simply speculating that the observed power delivery between the two batteries was eerily close to the difference in capacities.

End the end, I have no special knowledge about the packs thus it is all simply speculation.

Drive more? Yes please!

Hey yo mama .... just checking in to see how another "L" day feels ..... can't wait until the upgrade comes local ..... by the way would it be to much trouble to take a quick snap of the new badge ... would be fun to tease people with this is what I'm going to pay $5,000.00 for .... :) You know today was a beautiful day here in Virginia and i went out and cruised a bit .... and kicked it some as well .... this really is a spectacular car ....!!! Got the call to order a Founders X today as the result of the referral program .... at that point I won't have a ICE car around to drive and remind me of how loud and inefficient they feel ... ;-) Anyway hope your still enjoying your upgrade .....:)

by the way would it be to much trouble to take a quick snap of the new badge ... would be fun to tease people with this is what I'm going to pay $5,000.00 for .... :)

A picture of yo mama's badge would be nice, but until he provides one, I imagine it looks a lot like this:

P85D Ludicrous.png

Hey yo mama .... just checking in to see how another "L" day feels ..... can't wait until the upgrade comes local ..... by the way would it be to much trouble to take a quick snap of the new badge ... would be fun to tease people with this is what I'm going to pay $5,000.00 for .... :) You know today was a beautiful day here in Virginia and i went out and cruised a bit .... and kicked it some as well .... this really is a spectacular car ....!!! Got the call to order a Founders X today as the result of the referral program .... at that point I won't have a ICE car around to drive and remind me of how loud and inefficient they feel ... ;-) Anyway hope your still enjoying your upgrade .....:)
Sure, ardart99 - happy to oblige!
P85DL badge.JPG
It's not the most elegant photo but literally the first thing I did when I retook possession of my MS post upgrade was to snap this picture in the Fremont factory parking lot. (Then I texted it to MarcG before we met up so he'd know that I was legit and not some kind of creepy internet stalker). Today feels pretty darn good. My kids and I are so happy. We actually spent about 30 minutes last night, sitting in the car, looking for Easter eggs. My wife thinks I've lost my mind - but that's nothing *too* unusual. Okay, some random thoughts about 52 hours in:

- I'm still really, really happy with the improved feel of the car. I can't help but feel that my initial reactions in this thread were a little muted because I didn't want to be irrationally enthusiastic. But MarcG's videos confirmed my gut feel that the improvements are legit. I think there are car enthusiasts who (happily) pay a lot more than $5,000 to get a lot less.
- It's a beast now - but in an understated way. There are a lot of Teslas rolling around here in Silicon Valley and one starts to look like the next. But, for the time being, the P90DLs and P85DLs are special. Most people don't notice - even at superchargers - and that's okay with me because I care less about what others think and more about how I feel. And I feel like a pimp in this car.
- It feels like I'm driving my MS for the first time again - only with the benefit of hindsight. I'm having a really hard time staying humble about this and I'm not sure how I'd have dealt with it without the folks here at TMC. Thanks, everyone.
- I'm more curious about the science of my car, that's for sure. I didn't really care about any of that before.
- One lurking annoyance is that now that I'm using the Power Tools For Tesla app I found myself focusing on collecting data this morning rather than just enjoying the drive. It kind of felt like examining the biology of sex during the act - not particularly romantic.
- In the same vein, I found myself driving faster than I should have this morning just to see data from high speeds. I need calm that down.
- It was really fun meeting up with MarcG and I'd do something like that again. We were actually toying around with tracking down GGGotATesla, Pete90D, and any other locals who might be interest to go have a beer sometime. I basically feel more connected to the Tesla community because of the upgrade, which was not something I had anticipated;
- I continue to appreciate the augmented passing power. It's so refreshing to not "hit the wall" around 65+;
- I've admittedly been hammering the "go fast" pedal but I'm starting to get the distinct impression that I'll be charging more than the once-a-week that I was previously used to. Energy consumption is way up due to how I'm currently driving... but still.
- Auto pilot is a great distraction from maximum speed. My wife really, really appreciated when I used auto pilot this weekend because it meant we were traveling at a relatively constant rate of speed. I didn't appreciate this until MarcG was driving my car, and I was a passenger. Punching the accelerator really does throw your passengers around quite a bit - more so now than ever (which is something my Tesla techs warned me about);
- I was really bummed that I missed out on the P90DL. This upgrade erased about 90-95% of bitterness. I'm really happy I did it.
- I'm still not particularly happy with *how* Tesla communicates with its customers. But I'll be hard pressed to ever doubt their engineering ability in the future. These folks know how to built cool Sh*t.

That's it for now! And thanks for asking. :smile:

Sure, ardart99 - happy to oblige! View attachment 102044 It's not the most elegant photo but literally the first thing I did when I retook possession of my MS post upgrade was to snap this picture in the Fremont factory parking lot. (Then I texted it to MarcG before we met up so he'd know that I was legit and not some kind of creepy internet stalker). Today feels pretty darn good. My kids and I are so happy. We actually spent about 30 minutes last night, sitting in the car, looking for Easter eggs. My wife thinks I've lost my mind - but that's nothing *too* unusual. Okay, some random thoughts about 52 hours in:

- I'm still really, really happy with the improved feel of the car. I can't help but feel that my initial reactions in this thread were a little muted because I didn't want to be irrationally enthusiastic. But MarcG's videos confirmed my gut feel that the improvements are legit. I think there are car enthusiasts who (happily) pay a lot more than $5,000 to get a lot less.
- It's a beast now - but in an understated way. There are a lot of Teslas rolling around here in Silicon Valley and one starts to look like the next. But, for the time being, the P90DLs and P85DLs are special. Most people don't notice - even at superchargers - and that's okay with me because I care less about what others think and more about how I feel. And I feel like a pimp in this car.
- It feels like I'm driving my MS for the first time again - only with the benefit of hindsight. I'm having a really hard time staying humble about this and I'm not sure how I'd have dealt with it without the folks here at TMC. Thanks, everyone.
- I'm more curious about the science of my car, that's for sure. I didn't really care about any of that before.
- One lurking annoyance is that now that I'm using the Power Tools For Tesla app I found myself focusing on collecting data this morning rather than just enjoying the drive. It kind of felt like examining the biology of sex during the act - not particularly romantic.
- In the same vein, I found myself driving faster than I should have this morning just to see data from high speeds. I need calm that down.
- It was really fun meeting up with MarcG and I'd do something like that again. We were actually toying around with tracking down GGGotATesla, Pete90D, and any other locals who might be interest to go have a beer sometime. I basically feel more connected to the Tesla community because of the upgrade, which was not something I had anticipated;
- I continue to appreciate the augmented passing power. It's so refreshing to not "hit the wall" around 65+;
- I've admittedly been hammering the "go fast" pedal but I'm starting to get the distinct impression that I'll be charging more than the once-a-week that I was previously used to. Energy consumption is way up due to how I'm currently driving... but still.
- Auto pilot is a great distraction from maximum speed. My wife really, really appreciated when I used auto pilot this weekend because it meant we were traveling at a relatively constant rate of speed. I didn't appreciate this until MarcG was driving my car, and I was a passenger. Punching the accelerator really does throw your passengers around quite a bit - more so now than ever (which is something my Tesla techs warned me about);
- I was really bummed that I missed out on the P90DL. This upgrade erased about 90-95% of bitterness. I'm really happy I did it.
- I'm still not particularly happy with *how* Tesla communicates with its customers. But I'll be hard pressed to ever doubt their engineering ability in the future. These folks know how to built cool Sh*t.

Thanks again for your posts about the upgrade. Definitely feeling your excitement while I wait for mine.

Sure, ardart99 - happy to oblige! View attachment 102044 It's not the most elegant photo but literally the first thing I did when I retook possession of my MS post upgrade was to snap this picture in the Fremont factory parking lot. (Then I texted it to MarcG before we met up so he'd know that I was legit and not some kind of creepy internet stalker). Today feels pretty darn good. My kids and I are so happy. We actually spent about 30 minutes last night, sitting in the car, looking for Easter eggs. My wife thinks I've lost my mind - but that's nothing *too* unusual. Okay, some random thoughts about 52 hours in:

Thank you for the input that's great .... love it .... I do appreciate the members who go into the details (got into a bit of a tussle on that) ... but at my age now I really really more like how I feel about things ... that's why I have appreciated your insights ... gut level with some tech stuff .... ! I had pretty much left behind performance type cars with the coming of kids ... one of my sons is autistic and I shifted over to home schooling him and away from the fast car life ... :) Make no mistake about it I do love performance ... a fast car was more important than a place to stay at one time ... went through an early 396 Corvette with roller cam and the old hooker headers, hurst shifter stuff ... street raced for beer money ... to a more sophisticated 427/ 435 side exhaust chick version that rumbled a bit .. more cars in between .. then shifted to Porsche ... last one a 930 Euro Turbo with all the american emission stuff off .... I say all that as a memory trip, but I had given up on that .... but every now and then I looked ... just didn't want a 2 seater anymore .... then wa-la .... I found Tesla ..... it just couldn't be .... a sedan with top performance and looks and it's green! .... I'm having a ball .... and just like you I have to tamp down my enthusiasm a bit at times ....!!! There aren't many here in Virginia Beach ..... I get stopped all the time ... I was up at Best Buy earlier and a young fellow came over and said .... "wow I can't believe this ... i have been on the Tesla web site dreaming about getting this one day and here is one" ...... big smile ... :) So knowing the upgrade will just make it better is an extra (no matter what the tech stuff uncovers .... if it feels good .... do it!) .... Have a great one ......... :)

Thanks for posting all your updated thoughts! I'll send you and GG and Pete a PM to get something organized soon.

I'll do the integration work if you want to send me data :)
lolachampcar - I don't know what data you'd need or how best to capture it, but you seem to like these numbers and I'm happy to let you play with them. I suspect that Sorka's vbox will be the best source - but what do I know? If you can PM me some simple instructions I'll to try contribute more info.

ardart99 - I'm kind of the reverse of you. I didn't care about cars *until* I found Tesla.

That's even better .... whether it's rekindling a past passion or creating a new one ..... It is a great car!!! I work from my home now and find excuses to go out .... :) I can't hardly wait to experience the "not hitting the wall" effect .... :) I also felt your disappointment over just missing the P90D ... but I do hand it to Tesla and Elon ... they stepped up to the plate and looked after us past buyers as much as possible .... :)

ok fiks....... you beat me to it. I'm right in the middle of discussions (negotiations) with Tesla on that subject :( Did you simply throw money at the problem?
Just read your sig.... Did you get an X P90DL founders delivered????

Yo Mama,
If you have an excel power consumption data inclusive of speed that will allow me to do some very simple integration and get energy consumed for certain portions of a run. Looking at launches through a given speed versus roll ons through that same speed will tell us if Tesla is doing any kind of surge management. The VBox data will show differing times for, say, a 60-80 span when done from a dead stop and from a 50 mph roll on if Tesla is doing surge energy management. However, it would be a lot easier to see with power consumption data directly from the car provided the resolution/sample rate is good enough. How many samples a second (or seconds per sample) do you get with the Tesla data tool?