Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR or Plaid 7 seat option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t followed the model S, thats why I asked in the forum. It’s become a potential vehicle of interest, but the 2 extra seats would be required for the role the vehicle must play. Rear seats, used 5 days a week, for 5 minutes.

It was from a couple of articles from March 2021:

I had a loaner S 70 (2014) that had the rear facing jump seat. They were actually cool looking but very small. They reminded me of built in child seats with the harnesses. I would think we may not see anything from Tesla on this now that the Model X is being built. I think and it's only my opinion that Tesla considered the X as the 7 seater S. Even then, the 3rd row seating is somewhat of a small space. Now that the Model Y is suppose to offer 3rd row seating, we may never see 7 seat option in the S.

• Disagree
Reactions: doubleshot
I had a loaner S 70 (2014) that had the rear facing jump seat. They were actually cool looking but very small. They reminded me of built in child seats with the harnesses. I would think we may not see anything from Tesla on this now that the Model X is being built. I think and it's only my opinion that Tesla considered the X as the 7 seater S. Even then, the 3rd row seating is somewhat of a small space. Now that the Model Y is suppose to offer 3rd row seating, we may never see 7 seat option in the S.
It's not an unrealistic deduction.
Here is my scenario, my dad picks up 4 kids after school, and drives them for less then 5 minutes. These aren't adults, they are kids 2-6 years old.
I have a Y, and I would never consider getting a 7 seater as there is no way that is functional. The X is a good bet, but it won't handle as well as the S.
The jump seats, especially rear facing are a perfect match for a 5 minute trip, especially due to the harness.
Anyone with lots of kids would know that putting in 4 child seats in a Y type of setup wouldn't work, they can't fit, and you can't get in the vehicle without removing a seat or thru the trunk. So the rear facing option is a genius option really for super short trips such as this. It's likely with the Y and the X as options this may never happen.

This setup is no longer required for me in 5 years, but 5 years is a long time to need a specific solution.
After that they can be folded up and not used, or sold if they are transferrable to another vehicle providing they allow for it to be a retrofit to the next guy with the same unique problem.
I should also add, my dad likes the S, hates the X.

@doubleshot you have any comment on this?

It's not an unrealistic deduction.
Here is my scenario, my dad picks up 4 kids after school, and drives them for less then 5 minutes. These aren't adults, they are kids 2-6 years old.
I have a Y, and I would never consider getting a 7 seater as there is no way that is functional. The X is a good bet, but it won't handle as well as the S.
The jump seats, especially rear facing are a perfect match for a 5 minute trip, especially due to the harness.
Anyone with lots of kids would know that putting in 4 child seats in a Y type of setup wouldn't work, they can't fit, and you can't get in the vehicle without removing a seat or thru the trunk. So the rear facing option is a genius option really for super short trips such as this. It's likely with the Y and the X as options this may never happen.

This setup is no longer required for me in 5 years, but 5 years is a long time to need a specific solution.
After that they can be folded up and not used, or sold if they are transferrable to another vehicle providing they allow for it to be a retrofit to the next guy with the same unique problem.
I should also add, my dad likes the S, hates the X.
I agree with your dad, I loved the S over the X. The X is the wife's car. I'll get another S some day. Yes, I would say the jump seat in the back of the S was very practical. Loved the home surveillance videos showing the police following home a Tesla driver, where as someone thought the parents put their children in the trunk.

@doubleshot you have any comment on this?
I got a 'disagree' on my initial post as well, no idea what that's all about.

In any case, wait and see like with everything else. My dad likes what he likes, glad you both agree, I'm more into SUV's for the practical reasoning.
With Tesla the product only exists when it is being delivered, and even then the plug can be pulled on it at any time.

Reactions: Darmie