Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my 21 X but no 14-50 adapter is ridiculous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeKFE

2023 MXP | 2023 MSLR
Jun 22, 2016
Dallas, TX
After owning a ‘16 and a ‘19 S, my wife and I picked up our brand new ‘21 X yesterday in Dallas.

I finally got the white interior I’ve been wanting since day 1 and it does not disappoint.

The Dallas sales and delivery teams were amazing and I have nothing but praise for the experience.

Build quality is (appears to be) perfect.

But I must say - when I got home to plug it in and found that it doesn’t include a 14-50 adapter, I almost went through the roof. A $100k car doesn’t include the adapter needed to reasonably charge the car at home.

OK, Elon, I’ll head to the website and pay another $50-$100 to get the adapter.

Nope. They don’t sell it either. They want me to install a $500 charger if I want to charge at home.

Crazy.

I went ahead and picked up an adapter on EBay but man this was a really deflating way to start my experience w the new X.

After owning a ‘16 and a ‘19 S, my wife and I picked up our brand new ‘21 X yesterday in Dallas.

I finally got the white interior I’ve been wanting since day 1 and it does not disappoint.

The Dallas sales and delivery teams were amazing and I have nothing but praise for the experience.

Build quality is (appears to be) perfect.

But I must say - when I got home to plug it in and found that it doesn’t include a 14-50 adapter, I almost went through the roof. A $100k car doesn’t include the adapter needed to reasonably charge the car at home.

OK, Elon, I’ll head to the website and pay another $50-$100 to get the adapter.

Nope. They don’t sell it either. They want me to install a $500 charger if I want to charge at home.

Crazy.

I went ahead and picked up an adapter on EBay but man this was a really deflating way to start my experience w the new X.

Why people want to use the *sugar* 14-50 outlets on their $100k vehicles is beyond me. It’s not a Leaf or PHEV.

Tesla is smart encouraging owners to use a Permanent Hardwired Wall Connector. But you are the expert after owning 3 Tesla’s and I’m not gonna try to explain why.

Well fml.

Hahaha - no worries! Totally explains the visceral reaction... It seemed a little extreme based on a $35 adapter -- but not knowing such a thing was out there, it makes a lot more sense. :)

I wish Tesla did a better job with explaining the adapters that are available. Instead of putting all the "flavors" on a single page - I'd love a way to send someone a link directly to the 14-50 adapter.

Now all that said ...

I did also want to send a link to these guys: For Tesla Model S, Model 3, Model X, & Model Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

They have so many more adapters than Tesla does... lots of "esoteric" types. So if you need something Tesla doesn't carry - EVSEadapters likely has it. They're a little more expensive, but for example - I wanted a TT-30 adapter. They had it; Tesla doesn't make one!

Reactions: MikeKFE
Much thanks for the links.

Now I’m only mildly annoyed that it doesn’t come with the car.

We visit my in laws fairly frequently. They’re about 280 miles from us. They have a 14-50 outlet in their garage so having an adapter is a time saver for us because we can avoid the SC stop on the way back.

Thanks again.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy

We visit my in laws fairly frequently. They’re about 280 miles from us. They have a 14-50 outlet in their garage so having an adapter is a time saver for us because we can avoid the SC stop on the way back.

Thanks again.

I'm disappointed that Tesla removed it from the standard kit - I'm sure it's a cost savings move, but it needs to be part of every Tesla owners' bag. It's an almost universal 240V standard outlet. RV parks, homes, garages, etc all use the 14-50.

Safe travels and enjoy the daylights out of the X! It's a very different vehicle than the S - neither is better or worse; they're just different!

Reactions: MikeKFE
No doubt!

We are about 24 hours in now. Most definitely a much different car. Wife loves it because of how high she sits.

I did get the verbal approval to get a new S in April if they refresh it so I’m thrilled.

(I tested the waters for plaid but that was met with a hard no.)

Reactions: bmah and dmurphy
I'm disappointed that Tesla removed it from the standard kit - I'm sure it's a cost savings move, but it needs to be part of every Tesla owners' bag. It's an almost universal 240V standard outlet. RV parks, homes, garages, etc all use the 14-50.

Safe travels and enjoy the daylights out of the X! It's a very different vehicle than the S - neither is better or worse; they're just different!

My 2 cents. Most buyers are probably like me. Never used the NEMA adapter. Also never used the hitch that also came with it. Why have customers pay (remember nothing is free) for these if a lot of them will never use them?

My 2 cents. Most buyers are probably like me. Never used the NEMA adapter. Also never used the hitch that also came with it. Why have customers pay (remember nothing is free) for these if a lot of them will never use them?

Mostly agree. I do think they should make it more clear that the car does not come with something that many even if it's not most people would find useful and make it easy to opt-in.

I helped a referral take delivery in October of her Model X. Same opinion and same situation. Its an electric car... a NEMA 14/50 at home is all but required for reasonable charging speed w/o a HPWC infrastructure.
Fortunately for my referral, I was there doing the checklist on her Model X and noted it right away... checked with the SC and made sure we didn't leave without it.
Not everybody can get a prior owner to run through the checklist with them. And be mindful of what they will need, hours away from the SC. Part of this is should be addressed during the no contact delivery... the whole thing just makes the new owner situation frustrating.

Side note, How was the delivered Model X compared the issues to watch for on the various checklists? Every feature worked, paint issues were tiny & not notable. It is one impressive car. I spent 3 hours going through it all and we didn't need to add a single thing to the due bill when we left. I was so happy for my Model X owner. The QA folks at Tesla definitely did their job. It was a really good delivery.
-TechVP

Whoa, less distress is in order here!

One other MORE likely reason for the removal of the NEMA 14-50 adapter from the standard kit, AND its subtle removal from all the galleries: there have been "issues!"

We've had at least a few (half-dozen?) posters here show pictures of their melted NEMA 14-50 outlets. While certainly not Tesla's fault, it's too close to a "burn the house down" situation for Tesla to "encourage" such charging going forward perhaps?

Tesla knows that's a never-gonna-happen situation with their $500 charger so this is a way to have less folks charging off NEMA 14-50's. Sure, 99.99% will never have an issue, but, guess what, when you're selling 500,000, then 1m, then 2m, etc., units per year, that 0,01% is enough to generate some really bad headlines/threads/events . . . .

We've been charging off NEMA 14-50's since 2013, BUT we're almost never at the full 40 amps. We simply trickle charge at 10 to 20 amps overnight about once a week so we're almost never pulling the full 10,000 watts. And when we do I check the outlet temperature just to see if it's getting warm (and they don't). The vast majority of owners would not do that, and shouldn't be expected too--it's too much to ask, and that's the way it's going to be forever, hence Tesla's shift away from NEMA 14-50's IMHO.

Thanks again.

I'm in a similar situation. I need a 50 when I visit the in-laws, and I need a 30 for our cabin in Maine.

But, at home, I have the HPWC.

Luckily, I had purchased the 30 and 50 when I had my Model 3. When I traded it in, I only gave them back the 15 that they would include with any new purchase.

Reactions: dmurphy