Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loosing faith in TMC - Closed thread.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly, we need a meta-snippiness thread!

Given his account if closed, he probably doesn't care (or at least can't reply).

And now it appears the same applies to PlanB. I wish forum mods would understand that the quality and success of any forum is derived by the diverse membership. I hadn't posted on this forum for 4 years because I was more involved in the grassroots EV movement. I came back recently because of a google search brought me here. When I found early adopters and inventors like Otmar where here, it changed my perspective of this forum from that being just a car enthusiasts forum of the Tesla to a real gathering place of EV folks. I don't know if the general membership knows that for some reason the state of Oregon is a real hotbed of EV activity. PlanB is from Oregon and I hope he returns to the forum.

This is a great forum for Tesla owners and I hope it is still welcoming to all of us who have been rolling our own EVs. Since so many mods have appeared on this thread, maybe one of you could shed some light on this for me. Would the forum just prefer Tesla owners as a membership base or is the welcome mat including us DIY types?

We welcome all types and especislly the DIYers who helped keep things going before Nissan and Tesla stepped up. There are TOS for the site and a certain level of civility that some people can't seem to keep sometimes. It has nothing to do with having an anti Tesla or view or being a DIYer instead of a Tesla owner.

And now it appears the same applies to PlanB. I wish forum mods would understand that the quality and success of any forum is derived by the diverse membership. I hadn't posted on this forum for 4 years because I was more involved in the grassroots EV movement. I came back recently because of a google search brought me here. When I found early adopters and inventors like Otmar where here, it changed my perspective of this forum from that being just a car enthusiasts forum of the Tesla to a real gathering place of EV folks. I don't know if the general membership knows that for some reason the state of Oregon is a real hotbed of EV activity. PlanB is from Oregon and I hope he returns to the forum.

This is a great forum for Tesla owners and I hope it is still welcoming to all of us who have been rolling our own EVs. Since so many mods have appeared on this thread, maybe one of you could shed some light on this for me. Would the forum just prefer Tesla owners as a membership base or is the welcome mat including us DIY types?
There's a conversions subforum. Not a lot of activity, but a thread I started a couple of days ago is on it's second page (although there are probably better fora for those discussions, such as diyelectriccar.com).

What I take from all this is, if you don't want your account nuked, don't (a) ask for it to be closed, and (b) get into a pissing contest with a mod and accuse them of lying. Seems reasonable to me.

We welcome all types and especislly the DIYers who helped keep things going before Nissan and Tesla stepped up. There are TOS for the site and a certain level of civility that some people can't seem to keep sometimes. It has nothing to do with having an anti Tesla or view or being a DIYer instead of a Tesla owner.

Well that is good to hear. Unlike the hot rod forums I belong to, the membership here seems to be in agreement on such topics as climate change and the changing automotive landscape as it leans towards a more sustainable energy source such as electricity. The members of most automotive forums are just plain anti-EV, so it has become hard for me to be part of a community that embraces the hot rod I built in one breath, but flames me for my support of EVs. I wish I could find others on this forum that share my interest in building a hot rod, but no luck so far, which I understand. I did start a thread to find any closet hot rodders here.. Any other old hot rodders on the forum? but no luck.

Thanks for responding, good to hear the forum is pro EV from shadetree creations through OEM offerings.

Last edited:
Well that is good to hear. Unlike the hot rod forums I belong to, the membership here seems to be in agreement on such topics as climate change and the changing automotive landscape as it leans towards a more sustainable energy source such as electricity. The members of most automotive forums are just plain anti-EV, so it has become hard for me to part of a community that embraces the hot rod I built in one breath, but flames me for my support of EVs. I wish I could find others on this forum that share my interest in building a hot rod, but no luck so far, which I understand. I did start a thread to find any closet hot rodders here.. Any other old hot rodders on the forum? but no luck.

Thanks for responding, good to hear the forum is pro EV from shadetree creations through OEM offerings.
I replied to your hot rod thread, so you wouldn't feel left out. :smile:

Personally, I'm a fan of, and can appreciate, just about any form of mechanized transport, regardless of the source of power. Unilateral fora, whether EV's, hot rods, or coal-rolling Ford diesel pickups, are a lot less interesting when discussion/debate is quashed and dissenting opinions are drowned out by the cries of the majority.

Franz Von Holzhausen brought the Model S on an episode of Jay Leno's Garage. Jay mentioned something about commuting in a Chevy Volt, and saving gas for weekend playtime with his collection of classics. I thought that was a pretty healthy attitude.

Reactions: Doubletap67

Just for the record, we most certainly do appreciate all points of view here - and it most certainly is a diverse crowd. The only reason people get banned is for a violation of the Terms of Service.

Good lord. Moderators cannot edit reputation comments. (Though now maybe I may be called out a liar for saying that.)

Haven't you ever seen Enemy of the State or various movies like that? It's *always* possible. I'm CONVINCED that Doug always has a SQL session open at the hands of the moderators. He's the Roger Goodell of TMC moderators, acting on behalf of the moderator-owners.

UPDATE TMC_COMMENTS SET COMMENT="You are a nice guy. -NigelM" WHERE USER_ID=15342 AND POST_ID=1259258;

...but that's a lot of trouble to go through for people on a car forum. :)

:) :) :) for the sarcasm-impaired.

- - - Updated - - -

I did start a thread to find any closet hot rodders here.. Any other old hot rodders on the forum? but no luck.

No one wanted to admit to being old. :)

As I have mentioned numerous times, having "reputation points" is ridiculous. At least when people "insult" one another (not that it should happen) in a thread, it is there for all to see. The fact that people can leave negative reputation points, anonymously, just because they 'disagree' with you opinion is simply ludicrous. I remember getting told " i need to own a model S" before I am allowed to comment on anything. I have also had a negative reputation point added by a moderator because I posted publicly my opinion that was made on the thread information that was available, but i did not know what went on "behind the scenes". How was I supposed to? Yet judge my opinion because I am not telepathic? really? i have also had posts titles changed as "we do no want the public to pick up on things that could be negative about Tesla and blow them out of proportion". So fear of misperception justifies one to change truth?

mods have a tough job, and by and large this forum is awesome. i have zero knowledge about the threads in question, but in general feel there still remains a "Tesla bias" when moderating. I also feel the reigns can be let out a bit, when moderating peoples opinions.

I was walking with two of my 'hard-core' feminist friends years ago in University. We were waling by a "pro-life" sign hung on the front of the booth. One of my friends ripped down the sign and went on a 'my right to choose' loudly expressed opinion to the people behind the booth. My other friend, reminded her that the freedom to express ones opinion peacefully and openly should rarely if ever be trumped, as without that, you are left with nothing. I have always remembered that lesson.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't you ever seen Enemy of the State or various movies like that? It's *always* possible. I'm CONVINCED that Doug always has a SQL session open at the hands of the moderators. He's the Roger Goodell of TMC moderators, acting on behalf of the moderator-owners.

UPDATE TMC_COMMENTS SET COMMENT="You are a nice guy. -NigelM" WHERE USER_ID=15342 AND POST_ID=1259258;

...but that's a lot of trouble to go through for people on a car forum. :)

:) :) :) for the sarcasm-impaired.

- - - Updated - - -

No one wanted to admit to being old. :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-fermin/3-leadership-mistakes-rog_b_5807614.html

All the above posts are reassuring. This forum, unlike the other automotive forums I participate on, is pro EV, understand climate change and the reasons, know what the Koch brothers stand for, well to make a long story short, a forum that shares my views.

I do not know PlanB other than he is from Oregon, and to me his state has a lot of EV folks. Otmar among them. When I first started in EVs all we had for motor controllers where the then rather new PWM controllers used in new golf carts. With upgrades we could get these 48 volt 175 amp controllers up to 400 amps, but that is still golf cart like performance limited to short peak bursts of 25 hp, and cont maybe 15 hp. Then along came Otmar and his electronic and thermal management expertise, and we in the EV ranks had a controller that could deliver over 900 hp from our DC motors. And as you all know, Otmar is active on this forum. I was hoping another pioneer in this field was also on the forum, and that would be Alan Cocconi who in the early 1990's really got things going for AC propulsion EVs. Does anyone know what Alan has been up to since his T-zero, the father of the Tesla Roadster?

I was walking with two of my 'hard-core' feminist friends years ago in University. We were waling by a "pro-life" sign hung on the front of the booth. One of my friends ripped down the sign and went on a 'my right to choose' loudly expressed opinion to the people behind the booth. My other friend, reminded her that the freedom to express ones opinion peacefully and openly should rarely if ever be trumped, as without that, you are left with nothing. I have always remembered that lesson.

Come on now. This is a private forum about electric vehicles -- not about abortion rights. The comparison is grossly unfair.

I don't know who would even want to be a mod here given all the crap they have to go through. I was involved in the thread that led to this thread and posted things that got snipped so it's not as if I'm adverse to controversy or say things the mods don't always like. But to suggest that the mods are censoring due to "Tesla bias" is not true at all. I've never seen that happen but I have seen many Tesla supporters, including me, and actual mods, get snipped. But even if there is any bias, which I have not seen, it would make sense to me. Do you really expect non-Tesla enthusiasts to be mods on this forum?

I think we all need to actually realize that the mods have a difficult job to do when it comes to this forum, and not just pay lip service to that fact. You really can't compare this forum to other forums since electric vehicles in themselves are prone to controversy, which is a sad fact of our society. Just read the comments section on Fox News' site whenever there is an article about Tesla.

Please just cut the mods some slack people. I'm glad they keep this place neat and tidy.

Loosing faith in TMC - Closed thread. WTF?

As I have mentioned numerous times, having "reputation points" is ridiculous. At least when people "insult" one another (not that it should happen) in a thread, it is there for all to see. The fact that people can leave negative reputation points, anonymously, just because they 'disagree' with you opinion is simply ludicrous. I remember getting told " i need to own a model S" before I am allowed to comment on anything. I have also had a negative reputation point added by a moderator because I posted publicly my opinion that was made on the thread information that was available, but i did not know what went on "behind the scenes". How was I supposed to? Yet judge my opinion because I am not telepathic? really? i have also had posts titles changed as "we do no want the public to pick up on things that could be negative about Tesla and blow them out of proportion". So fear of misperception justifies one to change truth?

mods have a tough job, and by and large this forum is awesome. i have zero knowledge about the threads in question, but in general feel there still remains a "Tesla bias" when moderating. I also feel the reigns can be let out a bit, when moderating peoples opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

3 Leadership Mistakes Roger Goodell Made That You Shouldn'tJeff Fermin

Only mods can give neg rep points and we always sign and say why.

Last edited:
I have read many of the replies to this thread, but not all because I finally lost patience. I APPLAUD the moderators for working so hard to keep this an exceptionally high quality community that is civil, informative and enjoyable. Their job is a completely thankless effort and they are to be commended for spending their FREE time doing this. I, for one, do not appreciate "snippiness" or unpleasant comments. After all, we really are ONLY talking about a car. A fantastic car. The best car. But still just a car.

Please excuse my rant, but I simply do not understand why we Americans have to use vitriol to either prove our point or feel better about our particular position. Isn't owning such an amazing product, sharing our thoughts, concerns and questions, and learning more about cutting edge technology supposed to be rewarding in one fashion or another? By the simple fact that we can actually afford such an expensive thing puts us light years beyond the vast majority of the planet.

As the very few that are fortunate enough to be Tesla owners (the .00001%), let's set the example.

Reactions: Doubletap67