Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for my first Model S :D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I'm new here and looking for a new (to me) Model S. Do you all have any recommendations on what would be the best bang for my buck?
Only looking for a Model S and ideally a Performance version. I see the prices are pretty good right now so I want to take this opportunity to get myself into a Model S.

I welcome any recommendations! Thanks everyone.

Reactions: esg94
A raven (mid-2019) performance S will be about $10k out of reach if your budget is $50k. The raven platform offers a lot - including better range, faster charging, adaptive suspension, and true one-pedal driving. You could scoop a LR+ for $50k though.

Performance models are never the best "bang for your buck" but they're still great cars. If you must have a P, a 2017-2018 P100D could be attainable in your budget. It would be a bit faster than a LR+, but it would lack the raven-specific benefits I mentioned above.

Reactions: esg94
Hi everyone! I'm new here and looking for a new (to me) Model S. Do you all have any recommendations on what would be the best bang for my buck?
Only looking for a Model S and ideally a Performance version. I see the prices are pretty good right now so I want to take this opportunity to get myself into a Model S.

I welcome any recommendations! Thanks everyone.
Yes, definitely a get raven, the only “full year” for ravens was 2020. About half of 2019’s were ravens. You can identify 2019 ravens as such because they have the permanent magnet rear motor listed on the specs page and will not have the P100D or 100D plaques on right rear bumper (Will say “dual motor” on a raven, with a red underline if it’s a performance model.) How can you tell a 2021 is a raven?… they have the vertical screen still, but by far most of 2021 production was the refresh with the horizontal screen. Why get a raven?… because you want one pedal driving, better motors and upgraded air suspension. Also, a lot of the 17s and 18s came with a sunroof which you definitely DO NOT want. In my opinion, the one pedal driving is really the big advantage over the pre-raven models. If you get a 2020 there will still be some warranty left.

Right now probably looking at about 60K for a 2020 performance S. Maybe you can get a 2019 for 55K if you’re really lucky…if someone’s a motivated seller and the vehicle has higher mileage you might get one for close to 50K right now. Also consider how much insurance is gonna cost you I am paying about 1600 year for full coverage on my 2020 S/P but that’s definitely on the low side. (Connect through Costco)

Last edited:
Yes, definitely a get raven, the only “full year” for ravens was 2020. About half of 2019’s were ravens. You can identify 2019 ravens as such because they have the permanent magnet rear motor listed on the specs page and will not have the P100D or 100D plaques on right rear bumper (Will say “dual motor” on a raven, with a red underline if it’s a performance model.) How can you tell a 2021 is a raven?… they have the vertical screen still, but by far most of 2021 production was the refresh with the horizontal screen. Why get a raven?… because you want one pedal driving, better motors and upgraded air suspension. Also, a lot of the 17s and 18s came with a sunroof which you definitely DO NOT want. In my opinion, the one pedal driving is really the big advantage over the pre-raven models. If you get a 2020 there will still be some warranty left.

Right now probably looking at about 60K for a 2020 performance S. Maybe you can get a 2019 for 55K if you’re really lucky…if someone’s a motivated seller and the vehicle has higher mileage you might get one for close to 50K right now. Also consider how much insurance is gonna cost you I am paying about 1600 year for full coverage on my 2020 S/P but that’s definitely on the low side. (Connect through Costco)
Note that permanent magnet motor is in the front. Rear is still induction. I miss the sunroof from my 2015 though.

Insurance was the same for P and non-P cars when I got quotes back in 2019. Not sure if that has changed.

Note that permanent magnet motor is in the front. Rear is still induction. I miss the sunroof from my 2015 though.

Insurance was the same for P and non-P cars when I got quotes back in 2019. Not sure if that has changed.
Yes you’re right, permanent magnet motor on the front. To the OP: there’s a 2019 S Performance in black in the classifieds for 56K probably could be had for close to 50 K. (No affiliation with seller)