Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living with the Model S for 35,000km (22,000 miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, this is my first post. We have a Tesla Model S75, black, with air suspension and premium interior upgrade. I looked at this site when my wife and I were considering buying a Tesla – and found some helpful information about battery management among other things. But I wanted to wait until we'd lived with the car for some time before sharing our ownership experience.

I list here the many benefits of driving our Model S75 for 35,000km (22,000 miles) plus a couple of slight concerns.

Starting with the obvious, it’s environmentally friendly. After half a lifetime of doing our bit to heat up the planet it does feel very good to be leaving a smaller environmental footprint when we drive. Before much longer, we’d like to charge the Tesla from 100% renewable sources. At this stage our 8.4 kw rooftop PV system (no battery) needs a little top-up from electricity from the grid during charging.

Surprisingly, it’s an excellent motor vehicle. I say surprisingly, because with the Tesla’s zero emissions and many impressive tech features it’s sometimes easy to overlook its performance as a motor vehicle. Acceleration, braking, handling, suspension, comfort are all excellent. The biggest surprise was handling: we expected the weight (just over2 metric tonnes compared to a BMW 4 series under 1.8 tonnes) could see the Tesla wallowing in tighter corners. But the handling at speed in tighter corners** is really good – which I attribute to the fact that most of the weight is the battery, which is located low under the cabin floor. (**I’ll come back to a safety feature at the end)

It has a silent cabin. We both love listening to music and it’s always been hard to enjoy music in our cars over the rumble or roar of the car engine. No more. The Tesla is super quiet. Perfect for even the quietest piano sonata or Mark Hollis.

The tablet touch screen is brilliant: huge, felexible and full of features. Before test driving the tesla we test drove Mercedes (C-64AMG), BMW 4-series, Audi S5 and a Jaguar. We’ve owned a Merc and a BMW X5 in the past, so we had other points of comparison. They all had clever driver aids, satnav and some with a head-up display on the windscreen. But none of them were as good as the Tesla’s big screen and electronic dashboard. I still haven’t explored all the features (though I’ve mastered Spotify, USB, podcasts and the other music options). But I did turn on the biohazard a/c function for the first time recently on a very dusty day – giving me an oasis of purified air.

No new model envy. I’ve mostly bought cars second-hand and never gave much thought to comparisons with newer models of the same vehicle. But I did experience ‘new model envy’ when I bought new motorcycles and saw significant improvements added within a year or two of my purchase. Tesla’s overnight software downloads means, in effect, we keep getting the newer model. Over the past year I’ve acquired, among other things, smarter headlights, a surround radar and a more flexible and user-friendly touchscreen. I also got a 14-day trial of the autopilot software, which was fun.

Acceleration is powerful. OK I touched on this earlier, but the acceleration deserves its own heading. Being electric, the car is phenomenally quick from zero to plenty - and I realise we have one of the slower models. I was thinking it's sportsbike quick (I’ve owned several) until I was neatly burned off by a bike at the lights. But it’s still faster off the mark than nearly every other car, which is both good and bad. Like a fast motorcycle, I think you could easily lose your driver’s licence in a Tesla.

We waste zero time ‘refuelling’. Stop the car, plug it in, walk away. It couldn’t be easier. I did a rough back of the envelope estimate that I used to refuel my car about 40 times a year, each averaging 5 minutes of wait, refuel, pay and 5 minutes of going out of my way to stop at the service station. That worked out to nearly 7 hours of time I saved in the last year from not having to refuel a petrol engine car — one hour of which I’ve spent writing this ;-)

The supercharger network is super. Kudos to Tesla for building the refuelling infrastructure to allow us to travel long distances. In a parallel world this would have been done by governments and private companies as a wave of electric cars came onto the market. Maybe that’s the next 10-20 years?

Servicing is easy. The annual service interval is great, though the nearest to us is in Sydney 300km away. Still, we go to Sydney a few times a year, so it’s just a case of combining that with something we really want to do in Sydney. Remote diagnosis is another thing that surprised me. For a short while we had the suspension going into Jack Mode after a few days of the car not being driven. Tesla offered a remote software diagnosis if the problem recurred – but my wife fixed it by simply selecting Jack Mode when it was in Jack Mode which made it revert to normal.

I can’t not mention range anxiety. It was one of the things we worried about when buying the car. But this has not been an issue for us. Our longest trip was around 700km each way. We simply plugged in the destination to the GPS map which told us when and where we could top-up our range at superchargers along the way. That said, we cannot just choose to go anywhere, as you can in an ordinary car. If we’re not on highways/destinations serviced by superchargers we need to make sure there’s accommodation or a restaurant which have destination chargers.

The only other concern would be battery life. We don’t know how long the battery will last or how much a future replacement battery will cost. This uncertainty is probably the biggest leap of faith we have in this technology. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Overall impression: After driving the Tesla for 35,000km we honestly can’t imagine buying another petrol or diesel car. We’ll be interested to see what Merc and BMW eventually come up with as direct competitors, but our Model S75 still feels like the future.

**on corners, I recently went into a tight corner a little too hot but I believed in full control — yet the car took over the steering (which had no give for a second or two) to ensure we stayed within the lines marking the lane. I didn’t realise that was among the standard driver aids. When this car surprises, it’s usually on the upside.

Thank you and happy driving to you all.

I forgot to mention that the air suspension has also proved incredibly useful, especially as it remembers the GPS points where we need the extra height - including on part of our driveway. Tell it once and that's it.

It never gets old. Enjoy the car!
Well, sometimes it does get old. Almost crashed my car yesterday when trying to delete the "automatic raise suspension" which I set when there was a bunch of snow on the street, but now that it's gone no reason for the car to keep raising. Poking at the tiny and low on the screen buttons and having to navigate from the start each time (the control menu no longer remembers the last screen it was on), combined with old MCU response time, had my eyes off the road to too long and didn't notice a car who pulled out in front of me. Almost hit it, still didn't delete the auto-raise suspention. I guess you're supposed to park in the middle of a road to do that (since the car has to be at the location where it raises in order to delete the auto-raise). Tesla hires web developers to do car UI - they have no idea how to design user experience for a car. I think in the old days they had some people, Elon probably fired them or they quit.

**on corners, I recently went into a tight corner a little too hot but I believed in full control — yet the car took over the steering (which had no give for a second or two) to ensure we stayed within the lines marking the lane. I didn’t realise that was among the standard driver aids. When this car surprises, it’s usually on the upside.

Nice review and glad you are enjoying the ownership experience as much as I do.

Can anyone comment on this apparent automatic steering take-over? I wasn't aware of any feature like that and I drive an awful lot on fast country roads where I deliberately straddle lane markings when cornering. Not once have I experienced any automatic steering override.

The only thing I can think of is emergency side collision avoidance pushing the car away from a physical obstacle. Maybe it was this, if the car drifted extremely close to a barrier?

121,000 miles here. Still great (except for the awful V9 user interface--a real comedown from V6, which had a just about perfect UI).

I can not agree more. The V9 UI needs to be fixed. Those tiny icons (I'm not in my 20's), looking at that map needlessly, the climate control settings acrobatic, other loss of UI functionalities, etc...

So I'm picking up my 2015 P85D this Thursday (woo hoo!). Is V9 something that I should avoid? Since I'm buying from Tesla I assume it will already be running the newest version. Can I roll back to V8?

You can't roll back the software, but I actually prefer V9 to V8 in many ways. For me it's more intuitive than V8 and since you are starting from scratch it shouldn't be a problem.

And you have a Model S or X? Do you like having the rearview camera up while driving forward? Those seem to be the two factors that make people dislike V9 the most.

I have a Model X and I do sometimes drive with the rear cam up when I'm carrying mountain bikes so I can keep an eye on them. I prefer pretty much everything in V9 except maybe the climate settings, but even those are better in some ways - like merging the L/R cabin temp into one when in sync. AP2 is way better in V9 too without the dangerous left swerve issue that later versions of V8 had. My only complaint with V9 was all the bugs, but most of those have been resolved now - even Spotify has finally been fixed for us UK users!

And you have a Model S or X? Do you like having the rearview camera up while driving forward? Those seem to be the two factors that make people dislike V9 the most.
Yes, but I also want to see the map at the same time--not possible with V9 and the camera in the safest position. In addition, V9 takes more presses to do anything, so more time away from looking at the road. The low contrast also means that it takes more time to find the buttons in the first place, and some items on the instrument cluster are invisible when it's bright out. These are all safety issues, in addition to being personal preferences. I didn't like V8 (compared to V6) but V9 makes V8 look great and V8 is far safer. It's obvious that whomever designed V7-V9 never actually drives a car, but only followed Jony Ive's horrible UI guide. At least in the iPhone and Mac the poor design choices don't kill anyone, although they make it inconvenient compared to past offerings.

Yes, but I also want to see the map at the same time--not possible with V9 and the camera in the safest position. In addition, V9 takes more presses to do anything, so more time away from looking at the road. The low contrast also means that it takes more time to find the buttons in the first place, and some items on the instrument cluster are invisible when it's bright out. These are all safety issues, in addition to being personal preferences. I didn't like V8 (compared to V6) but V9 makes V8 look great and V8 is far safer. It's obvious that whomever designed V7-V9 never actually drives a car, but only followed Jony Ive's horrible UI guide. At least in the iPhone and Mac the poor design choices don't kill anyone, although they make it inconvenient compared to past offerings.

I guess I just don't have any of these issues and simply prefer the V9 UI. I can't say I have any issues with Apple UIs either!

Poking at the tiny and low on the screen buttons and having to navigate from the start each time
Well, if I'm not mistaken there is no need to navigate the menus. When you reach a place with a special setting for suspension, while the suspensions are raising there is a warning on the top left of the screen with an "X" on the side. Just press the "X" and the location gets deleted.

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex
Tesla hires web developers to do car UI - they have no idea how to design user experience for a car. I think in the old days they had some people, Elon probably fired them or they quit.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the people designing the UI are not driving these cars on a daily basis. Change for the sake of change is stupid when things become harder to use.

Well, if I'm not mistaken there is no need to navigate the menus. When you reach a place with a special setting for suspension, while the suspensions are raising there is a warning on the top left of the screen with an "X" on the side. Just press the "X" and the location gets deleted.
It used to be you could go to common items like camera, trip, or calendar with one press. Now you have to hit that arrow button and then camera, trip, or calendar. There's an extra unnecessary press that takes your eyes off the road that much longer.

It used to be you could go to common items like camera, trip, or calendar with one press. Now you have to hit that arrow button and then camera, trip, or calendar. There's an extra unnecessary press that takes your eyes off the road that much longer.

Not only that extra click, but then you have to fish for that tiny button you are looking for and hit it at the right moment before your finger slips off due to the road vibration, all while you are driving.

To get to that place you have to hit the car icon on the bottom, then hit "suspension" menu on top, so yes you do have to navigate menus.

Reactions: jerry33