Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lithium-air batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are Zinc-Air batteries and research is lead by Cody Friesen of ASU (and co-founder of Fluidic Energy).

This would probably mean that "recharging" implies physically replacing the Zinc, which seems to mean that their usefulness is more for power plants, than for EVs.

Hopefully we'll see Lithium Air research covered in the next iteration: Berkeley-based PolyPlus is a good candidate and IBM of course.

It seems to be difficult to get an idea of the chances of success for the Lithium-Air projects (even for the researchers themselves). It is a bit surprising that there seem to be so few research projects for Lithium Air. According to everything one reads about it, it would be a huge "game-changer". IBM seems to be in some kind of evaluation phase of pre-researching, instead of immediately starting a full scale effort which would match its immense potential.

Last edited:
This would probably mean that "recharging" implies physically replacing the Zinc, which seems to mean that their usefulness is more for power plants, than for EVs.
AFAIK, this property was common to all metal-air chemistries for a while making such devices more "fuel cells" than "batteries" and limiting practicality (the infrastructure dilemma). However, very recently breakthroughs started to happen. In Europe ReVolt and BASF have joined forces this summer to commercialize electrically rechargeable Zinc-Air battery ReVolt developed. The rechargeability approach looks similar to ASU's: porous cathode and liquid electrolyte are used, but ReVolt/BASF seem to be further ahead.

It seems to be difficult to get an idea of the chances of success for the Lithium-Air projects (even for the researchers themselves). It is a bit surprising that there seem to be so few research projects for Lithium Air. According to everything one reads about it, it would be a huge "game-changer". IBM seems to be in some kind of evaluation phase of pre-researching, instead of immediately starting a full scale effort which would match its immense potential.
From what I read on the topic making even a primary (non-rechargeable) Lithium Air battery operate outside of lab environment is very difficult due to metal Lithium's chemically active nature. PolyPlus developed protective coating for Lithium metal anode making a step in commercialization direction for primary type. Secondary battery with good cycle life is even more challenging, but AIST in Japan has had some progress in that area.

Potential of Lithium-Air

Hi,

While I'm waiting for my Model S, I've been reading around about batteries and I found that the Model S is expected to have around 250Wh/KG (I'm Dutch, so I use KG's ;) )

After some searching I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_air_battery

The theoretical density of Li/O2 is 11140Wh per KG.

If I understand it correctly, a 8KG battery would then provide 84kWh of energy, the same as the Model S now.

Well, that seems to good to be true, so what is the catch here? I know Lithium-Air is still in the lab and currently it can't be recharged, but there must be something else here?

On Wikipedia I found that the current batteries can have around 250Wh/KG, just like the Model S will have.

Now, I'm no battery expert at all, but if a Lithium-Air battery with such density could exist, what kind of problems would we run into?
* It can't absorb energy that fast?
* It can discharge fast enough?

Again, it seems good to be true, so I'm searching for the cavecat here :)

Just went looking for downsides, and found this (but claims it is being solved):

http://slashdot.org/story/09/06/26/...-Battery-Delivers-10-Times-the-Energy-Density
...Previous efforts to make lithium {air} batteries have been stymied by the sensitivity of lithium to water in the air...

Also:
The problem is the recharging step, ie, making it a battery instead of a fuel cell. Splitting zinc oxide to get relatively pure zinc back, all within the original container, remains an unsolved problem, in practice. These lithium devices will face the same problem: how do you use electricity to efficiently split lithium oxides to get lithium and oxygen again?
So, I guess one has to investigate charging efficiency so see how much of the current you put in actually gets stored in the battery.

Last edited:
Ah indeed, there you have it. Other then Lithium-IOn there aren't any real alternatives right now? We'll have to keep howling these large batteries around for the coming years.

Over the past few years there were so many announcements of things like ultracap breakthroughs, NiMH improvements, even massive improvements to lead/acid. I wouldn't say that Li-Ion is absolutely the only possible solution, but so far it seems to be the technology of choice among all the current generation of EVs.

It's all about the Wh/KG, the less the battery weighs, the less the cars weighs, the less energy you need to move the car. That would result in a smaller (in Whr's) battery pack.

Ultracaps are one of the things I believe could be useful, even in conjunction with a regular battery, they could provide the boost of power a EV needs when accelerating.

But it seems that LiO2 is still far away :(

I beleive that Ultracaps are what your regen should go into first, once filled, then the battery. It would save the battery from all of the continuous charging and discharging which a capacitor is made to do. If this design is used you should have. 1. Longer battery life 2. No annoyance of not have regen available at times. Of course this involves a more complex controller to orchestrate all of this, and more $$$$

L.A. Auto Show: EcoGeek Talks to Tesla and GM About Supercapacitors
Hank Green said:
...While at the L.A. Auto Show ..., I had a chance to talk with Nick Zielinski, GMs director of Vehicle Technology Integration, and JB Straubel, the CTO of Tesla Motors. While conversing with each of these extremely well informed folks, I brought up supercapacitors.

Both of these guys are heavily reliant on battery technology and both of them are putting varying amounts of faith in Lithium Ion batteries. Obviously, it's working well for Tesla, and we can hope it will work well for GM.

When asked about supercapacitors, both men had the same response: Supercaps represent interesting technology, but they cannot replace batteries, and using them to augment batteries is too complex...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Supercapacitors?p=27402&viewfull=1#post27402
WarpedOne said:
Regen braking is far from strong enough to really task the batteries. Roadster's pack has maximum power output of about 220kW, maximum regen power goes up to 30kW (limited with tire grip) which is about 0.5C. Ultracap pack would have to be really really big, expensive and heavy to make any real difference for batteries. Your are much better of investing that money, space and weight into batteries. You also get more range doing this and more lifespan.

That too complex quote is begging to be shut down. Wasn't there some quote about how no one could ever...

Not sure which quote you are mentioning. It was years ago they said Supercaps/Ultracaps were too complex, so who knows what they have in their labs now. I do recall in the very early days, digital motor controls were "too complex", and we see how well they got past that hurdle.

Not sure which quote you are mentioning. It was years ago they said Supercaps/Ultracaps were too complex, so who knows what they have in their labs now. I do recall in the very early days, digital motor controls were "too complex", and we see how well they got past that hurdle.

As far as I remember, they were saying something like "too complex at this point of technical development, maybe later". (Not sure whether they were referring to capacitors or mixed battery types.)

If Lithium-Air turns out to work, I don't think mixing with other storage types would be a problem, because at that point it won't be "game changed", it will be "game over".

If Lithium-Air turns out to work, I don't think mixing with other storage types would be a problem, because at that point it won't be "game changed", it will be "game over".

If Li/O2 is successful and implemented into EVs, using combined storage types may not even be necessary. IBM is also experimenting with Lithium-Air.
These articles were published > 15 months ago. Some progress must have been made since; but probably still some time before they will be ready for prime time.

A battery the size of Model S 300-mile pack would get ~ 3000 mile range.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/15/science/15batt.html
http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/22780/

This is simply so overwhelming in its simplicity and its clarity and the socioeconomic consequences it would have, that it deserves a Manhattan-like effort.

It would ofcourse be great if Lithium-Air (or something else like that) would work. Right now we are somewhere around 250Wh/KG, but even 500Wh/KG would be great! You could travel twice as far on the same battery pack, but you could probably even shrink the battery, so you loose weight and increase the range again :)

About ultra/super-caps, they could work in conjunction with a Lithium battery which couldn't produce the Amps a EV would need to accelerate. The caps would then provide the "boost" needed to get the EV moving, but the main storage would come from the battery. Something I've done with a lot of RC cars, you could give them a nice boost function just by putting a large capacity capacitor on them.

I really do hope that when the S comes out Tesla will keep developing battery packs for it, so that after 3 or 5 years you could buy a new, upgraded pack which for example gives you a 450 mile range. (I prefer KM's btw ;) )

I left it vague because there are always these types of "too hard" or "can't be done" quotes that get shot down over the decades.