Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you need the cash, I would encourage anyone to hold their reservation until you learn, for a fact, that critical components will not be available to you. The deposit is fully refundable at any time; losing your place in queue because of thrashing here on the boards seems hasty.
Indeed! We are still 6 months away from the first deliveries.

I think the likelihood of a Model S to J1772-DC adapter is much, much more likely than CHAdeMO (since J1772-DC only adds two big power pins, while the rest of the pins are just standard J1772, which the Model S already has a direct physical adapter to; if the two original smaller power pins are not used during DC charging, even a direct physical adapter will work without the need of an external box).

So then we just need a CHAdeMO->J1772-DC adapter :biggrin: Wonder how it would look with all those adapters stacked :tongue:

Unless you need the cash, I would encourage anyone to hold their reservation until you learn, for a fact, that critical components will not be available to you. The deposit is fully refundable at any time; losing your place in queue because of thrashing here on the boards seems hasty.

I haven't even reserved one yet, and I'm not going to until the QC-thing is sorted out. Either an CHAdeMO adapter or mass deployment of Superchargers in Norway. I don't see the last scenario as very likely...

Today's CHAdeMO map:

chademomap.png

By the way, Tesla is not a member or associate member of CHAdeMO. Several hundred other organisations are.

What about CHAdeMO for the Roadster?should be much easier and no extra hardware needed? ok, some wiring and maybe a little controlbox.
The Roadster doesn't have the hardware necessarily for DC charging (contactor and high current power pins/wires to the connector) plus the connector has even less pins (4). It'll be much harder than for the Model S (which is already hard enough).

Looking at the CHAdeMO chart, CHAdeMO support is a much bigger deal in Japan and Europe than in any other area.

I got conformation today that they are going to install one of the 400 CHAdeMO chargers Nissan gave away in my town :) Great news!

But, we are drifting off-topic again :) Although I love to hear about these fast charging locations, they are only going to be for the Leaf drivers without an adapter.

I'm actually not that optimistic about a CHAdeMO adapter. Just the fact that they have chosen to design a separate connector and the fact that they plan to build a supercharger network kind of gives me pause. It would depend really on if the consumer demand is overwhelming; if not, I think Tesla wants to push their own DC standard instead.

Exactly.

I don't quite get all the fuss about the lack of QC capability for the 160 mile version - what people really should worry about is the fact that Tesla seems to completely disregard everything that's going on outside of its own walls. That supercharger is utterly insignificant except as a demonstration anyway.

Tesla has designed a connector, based on a desire for Apple-like looks if the rumours are true, that supports neither three phase nor CHAdeMO. They have also launched a proprietary DC charger. I was wondering which standard they would support. I was rather surprised, to put it mildly, to learn that they had rejected all of them.

Do they really think that they'll be successful in electrifying the entire world all by themselves, when there are at least three other standards that are heavily supported by governments and large auto industry companies and actually being implemented already? They might as well try to stop a freight train with their bare hands.

Someone at Tesla needs to climb down from his ivory tower and develop a sense of practicality right now.

Last edited:
Do they really think that they'll be successful in electrifying the entire world all by themselves, when there are at least three other standards that are heavily supported by governments and large auto industry companies and actually being implemented already? They might as well try to stop a freight train with their bare hands.
<insert maniacal laugh>
948795-650_superman_destroy_super.gif

I was rather surprised, to put it mildly, to learn that they had rejected all of them.
I wouldn't say they rejected all of them. The Model S connector still directly supports J1772 with a pin-to-pin adapter and like I said, the possibility of a similarly simple J1772-DC adapter is also quite high for that reason.

I would just say a J1772-only strategy is mainly North America-centric. But that kind of strategy doesn't really stray that far from the recent/upcoming EV launches in the US (only the iMIEV and Leaf has CHAdeMO, there's no upcoming EV in the US that supports 3-phase), so I don't really get why people are so shocked about this. And I won't put a period mark on what Tesla will do for their UK and European launch because they haven't really said much about that officially (and there's enough time in between for many changes).

I don't quite get all the fuss about the lack of QC capability for the 160 mile version - what people really should worry about is the fact that Tesla seems to completely disregard everything that's going on outside of its own walls. That supercharger is utterly insignificant except as a demonstration anyway.
Because we thought - even if Tesla comes up with CHAdeMO adapter, it won't work with the 40kwh model.

If the reports of not supporting supercharger because of warranty issues is correct - it should hold good for CHAdeMO too.

Tesla has designed a connector, based on a desire for Apple-like looks if the rumours are true, that supports neither three phase nor CHAdeMO. They have also launched a proprietary DC charger. I was wondering which standard they would support. I was rather surprised, to put it mildly, to learn that they had rejected all of them.
We don't know the real reason Tesla decided to go on their own. I think one possibility is that - because of multiple standards, they thought it would be easier to make their own separate port and build adaptors for all others.

Someone at Tesla needs to climb down from his ivory tower and develop a sense of practicality right now.
So true. I hope my above speculation is correct and they will eventually support 3-ph and CHAdeMO.

We don't know the real reason Tesla decided to go on their own. I think one possibility is that - because of multiple standards, they thought it would be easier to make their own separate port and build adaptors for all others.

So true. I hope my above speculation is correct and they will eventually support 3-ph and CHAdeMO.
I suspect that's the reason too.

I'm actually more concerned about how Tesla will handle 3-phase in Europe, because it'll be hard for the Model S connector work internationally without it and because even an external adapter box won't work (the onboard charger must be changed).

I'm less concerned about CHAdeMO because although it appears it is defacto already in Japan (and becoming defacto in Europe soon), I think in the end J1772-DC / IEC 62196-3 (Combined Charging System or CCS) will prevail for the following reasons:
- Many of the large non-Japanese automakers have committed to CCS (Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen), while CHAdeMO has the committment of only the Japanese automakers (with the following exceptions: PSA Peugeot Citroën with their iMIEV clones, BYD and Volvo Technology Corp being CHAdeMO members)
- CCS is an internationally developed standard, while CHAdeMO was mainly developed by the Japanese
- Flaws in the CHAdeMO design (not enough max power, the plug and connector is too unwieldy especially considering it's DC only, way too many pins).
- DC chargers that support CHAdeMO already support or can be relatively easily converted to support other DC connectors (I suspect this is what will happen when CCS is finalized)

Tesla will also have to consider China's connector standard (which will also be different), if they sell there in the future.

Last edited: