Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not just a connector... The car's ECUs and BMS has to communicate with the charger. The on-board charger doesn't charge the car if you plug it in to a CHADEMO station, the station does the whole job, so the BMS must communicate with it. An simple adapter won't do the job.
The question I asked in the TS, how hard will such an adapter be?

The best solution would be additional inside sockets like CHAdeMO or Mennekes Type 2 accessible from the front or back trunk.
Something like that would be useful indeed.

It's not just a connector... The car's ECUs and BMS has to communicate with the charger. The on-board charger doesn't charge the car if you plug it in to a CHADEMO station, the station does the whole job, so the BMS must communicate with it. An simple adapter won't do the job.
Even if the software protocol was the same, I don't think a direct adapter would work because the connector on the Model S (5-pin) doesn't have enough PINs to support CHAdeMO (10 pin) nor Mennekes using 3-phase (7-pin). Tesla will need an external box to emulate some of the CHAdeMO signals if it is to build an adapter. Tesla will need to offer an entirely different connector to support 3-phase.

Even if the software protocol was the same, I don't think a direct adapter would work because the connector on the Model S (5-pin) doesn't have enough PINs to support CHAdeMO (10 pin) nor Mennekes using 3-phase (7-pin). Tesla will need an external box to emulate some of the CHAdeMO signals if it is to build an adapter. Tesla will need to offer an entirely different connector to support 3-phase.
Indeed, for native communication it does not.

The assumption is that Tesla will be using PLC (Powerline Communcation) with DC charging. So a TeslaDC<>CHAdeMO adapter would need to translate the CHAdeMO protocol into the Tesla (SAE J1772 DC?) protocol.

But like I mentioned, such an adapter needs power for it's active logic (small CPU). Where will the power come from? Since the CHAdeMO station doesn't provide power, nor does the Model S charge port. A small battery in your adapter? I wouldn't hope so...

Shall we also keep the 3-phase discussion out of this thread? ;)

I would say it is impossible as an aftermarket solution without the OEM's (Tesla Motors) support. You would have to hack deeply in the vehicle's system's to get the car communicate with the charger.
Well, if Tesla is using a standardized DC protocol for charging the Model S it would be possible for the aftermarket to build it I guess.

Or a single 18650 cell that could recharge by leeching a couple of watts from the charging current, when charging has started.
Yes, that could be an option I think.

I guess ~3.8V and 3100mAh would be enough to keep the CPU running for a couple of minutes. A small 500V -> 4.2V converter would be enough to charge the cell then.

But wouldn't NiMH be better for something like that? Since the adapter won't be charged every day it could be bad for a Li-on cell?

How likely do others guess the chance of a CHAdeMO adapter? I'm guessing about 70% right now since I think Tesla also sees that they have to provide Model S owners/drivers adapters to let them fully utilize the existing charging infrastructure.

How likely do others guess the chance of a CHAdeMO adapter? I'm guessing about 70% right now since I think Tesla also sees that they have to provide Model S owners/drivers adapters to let them fully utilize the existing charging infrastructure.

I suspect they will wait until the last minute to commit, because they are waiting to see how DC standards shake out in the US, how many CHAdeMO stations get installed elsewhere, etc. And they may have concerns about 3rd-party functionality problems and/or warranty issues with people who charge too fast too often. But I know they can make the adapter.

And frankly, I don't see how they can possibly get by without doing it. When there was no charging infrastructure, I bought EVs anyway and suffered without it; but I am far from the mass market. And with dozens of CHAdeMO stations to be installed in my area before the Model S is available, I am not going to buy another EV that can't use existing infrastructure. Maybe enough people will that they can afford to lose me, but I don't think I'm alone...

Last edited:
Yes, that could be an option I think.

I guess ~3.8V and 3100mAh would be enough to keep the CPU running for a couple of minutes. A small 500V -> 4.2V converter would be enough to charge the cell then.

But wouldn't NiMH be better for something like that? Since the adapter won't be charged every day it could be bad for a Li-on cell?

No, NiMH has mugh higher self-discharge. I keep a lot of AA NiMHs around and if they were charged a few months ago, I usually have to charge them before using them.

Shall we also keep the 3-phase discussion out of this thread? ;)

Well, if Tesla is using a standardized DC protocol for charging the Model S it would be possible for the aftermarket to build it I guess.
Well, someone else mentioned Mennekes first in this thread (not me) and only the three-phase version is really an issue with the Model S connector. If you are using Mennekes with single phase you don't need all 7 pins (5 pins is fine, just like with the J1772 -> Mennekes or Tesla Roadster -> Mennekes adapter), so there is no need for another connector in the trunk.

What's really "a standardized DC protocol" at this point? Are you talking about J1772-DC?

I'm actually not that optimistic about a CHAdeMO adapter. Just the fact that they have chosen to design a separate connector and the fact that they plan to build a supercharger network kind of gives me pause. It would depend really on if the consumer demand is overwhelming; if not, I think Tesla wants to push their own DC standard instead.

Right now the CHAdeMO network in the US isn't that big and J1772-DC might come out next year (which might make some locations wait and see). I think the likelihood of a Model S to J1772-DC adapter is much, much more likely than CHAdeMO (since J1772-DC only adds two big power pins, while the rest of the pins are just standard J1772, which the Model S already has a direct physical adapter to; if the two original smaller power pins are not used during DC charging, even a direct physical adapter will work without the need of an external box).

And frankly, I don't see how they can possibly get by without doing it. When there was no charging infrastructure, I bought EVs anyway and suffered without it; but I am far from the mass market. And with dozens of CHAdeMO stations to be installed in my area before the Model S is available, I am not going to buy another EV that can't use existing infrastructure. Maybe enough people will that they can afford to lose me, but I don't think I'm alone...
Not alone. Not having CHAdeMO is a deal breaker for me.

No, NiMH has mugh higher self-discharge. I keep a lot of AA NiMHs around and if they were charged a few months ago, I usually have to charge them before using them.

I love the Eneloop XXX 2500Mah LSD NiMHs. Once you can charge them as they come out of a device, so that you have a stack of charged batteries hanging around, it really changes things. There are a number of other LSD NiMHs now from other manufacturers.

(OT, yes, I know).

Well, someone else mentioned Mennekes first in this thread (not me) and only the three-phase version is really an issue with the Model S connector. If you are using Mennekes with single phase you don't need all 7 pins (5 pins is fine, just like with the J1772 -> Mennekes or Tesla Roadster -> Mennekes adapter), so there is no need for another connector in the trunk.

What's really "a standardized DC protocol" at this point? Are you talking about J1772-DC?

I'm actually not that optimistic about a CHAdeMO adapter. Just the fact that they have chosen to design a separate connector and the fact that they plan to build a supercharger network kind of gives me pause. It would depend really on if the consumer demand is overwhelming; if not, I think Tesla wants to push their own DC standard instead.

Right now the CHAdeMO network in the US isn't that big and J1772-DC might come out next year (which might make some locations wait and see). I think the likelihood of a Model S to J1772-DC adapter is much, much more likely than CHAdeMO (since J1772-DC only adds two big power pins, while the rest of the pins are just standard J1772, which the Model S already has a direct physical adapter to; if the two original smaller power pins are not used during DC charging, even a direct physical adapter will work without the need of an external box).

I was talking about extra inside sockets to meet the technical issues of CHAdeMO or Mennekes Type 2 because they cannot be supported by the current proprietary socket. I didn't wanted to talk about 3-phase charging in general.

Unless you need the cash, I would encourage anyone to hold their reservation until you learn, for a fact, that critical components will not be available to you. The deposit is fully refundable at any time; losing your place in queue because of thrashing here on the boards seems hasty.