Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaked Model 3 specs 0-60 in under 4 sec and 300+ mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the largest battery option on the Model 3 will offer sub 4 second times but not the base model. I don't believe a performance model will be announced tomorrow because it would draw attention away from the affordability of the Model 3. On the other hand, announcing a new top end performance version of the Model S would make sense to highlight the huge price delta of products that Tesla will now offer.

Just saw this on Twitter: Elon Musk on Twitter

This would jive with what I'm thinking. Tesla will focus design and the price tomorrow and say that the car is "autopilot equipped" without further exposition of the sensor suite. They aren't ready to announce the sensors yet because the sensor team is still figuring out what the car will actually end up shipping with.

Strategically thinking, I think Tesla made a huge mistake in announcing autopilot a year before it shipped. Had they waited until it was in consumer's hand, it would have given them a HUGE leg up over the competition -- which would be left scrambling to catch up.

In this case, I predict that Tesla will unveil "autopilot 2.0" at the Part 2 Model 3 reveal in 18 months which will go far beyond its current set of capabilities.

I predict we'll see 3 things tomorrow...

- Rough Model 3 specs (obviously)
- New 100kWh S/X and Gen II Model S
- 2017 supercharger map

pins and needles :)
I bet that they will not release all the good news at once. You get to spread out the hype/news to keep the excitement going. What are they going to release in the next 2 years if they announce everything tmr?

Meh. I was hoping the Model E would put down a sub-3.0 second 0-60. Under 4.0 is right around where the M3/M4 is (3.8 sec). And I really really hope that line about "it looks like a smaller hybrid of the Model X and S," is wrong because the X has all the appeal of a Pontiac Aztek for me.
BMW's M4 only achieve 4.2 second to 60mph in real world. Motor Trend Magazine's Youtube channel just had a review on this literally yesterday.

There are at least 3 major aspects to attaining an autonomous driving car:
1) hardware sensors,
2) software,
3) legal approval

Elon and other top engineers at Tesla are on record saying the Model S and X do not have right hardware for autonomous driving. Elon has said that software wise cars will be smart enough in only a couple of years which coincidentally lines up with the timing of the Model 3 launch. However, many would side with you that software will take longer.

The main point here is without 1) the right hardware sensors, 2) software and 3) legal approval will not matter. So my hope is they will put the hardware in so when the software and legal side things are ready so will the Model 3.
It is more than just hardware sensors. You also need a super-computer inside the car to do live processing/understanding of images/video for deep learning.

BMW's M4 only achieve 4.2 second to 60mph in real world. Motor Trend Magazine's Youtube channel just had a review on this literally yesterday.

The M4 does 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) in 4.1 seconds in real life without rollout BS and 0-200 kph in 13.5 seconds.

So going from 0-60 mph and adding Motor Trend's rollout BS, you should be well under 4 seconds.

If the Model 3 can reach this, this would be awesome!

Really? This made me discard the whole "leak". If it means what i think it means the "source" doesn't know a thing about Tesla.

I missed that tidbit.

Yeah upon rereading the article, there really isn't anything that is a stretch here or I obvious, particularly when you think about where advancements will take the car's specs in 18 months or so.

I'd expect these things, even a range approaching 320 miles.

Of course feature laiden versions will be one thing, vs the stripped down version at $35k. Loaded versions will probably be knocking on $60k.

The M4 does 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) in 4.1 seconds in real life without rollout BS and 0-200 kph in 13.5 seconds.

So going from 0-60 mph and adding Motor Trend's rollout BS, you should be well under 4 seconds.

It would be VERY awesome if even base Model 3 can reach this 0-60 time considering it'll be more than half the price of a BMW M4. *excited* :D

It's not what i thought (i read hybrid as in Prius hybrid), it's a hybrid design between S and X. In order to give the same headromm as in S, they couldn't reduce the overall height of the car so, design wise, it looks like a smaller X (shorter and narrower but same height as an S). McHoffa posted something like this:
attachment-php-attachmentid-112666-jpg.166030

To me, it looks like the proportions are the same as the one from blanket covered "leak" (minus the trunk and with some tweaks in front)
2016-03-30-spyshot-jpg.169349

Last edited:
The math most likely will be like this based on the pricing now. $35k base + 5k AWD + 13k bigger battery - 7.5k tax credit = $45.5k which is under your $60k threshold.

Don't expect to see any tax credits on a 3, anyone including that in their math is delusional. Tesla likes to claim delivery of a vehicle in a certain year but that might be a total of like 10, example model X.

They essentially have a year and a half to update hardware from announcement till delivery, the 3 should have better tech including battery, AP, motors just because they have had all that extra R&D time.

ehem...

Tesla Model 3 anticipated driving range (non-upgraded, base level battery)

I was the only one out of 150+ to correctly predict 300miles range :)

At some point it will click to the forum members that I know things...

LOL, I wouldn't count your chickens until they hatch. ;) We won't find out anything real on options pricing until 2017 I would guess. I seriously doubt the $35k model will be the model with the 300 mile range battery.

There will be a $35K Model 3. There will be a 300 range Model 3. They will not be the same car based on past history even if that is implied during tomorrow's reveal. I've been down this road before with the "$50k Model S".

Last edited:
Reactions: tomsky

Doesn't look like your data is based on GPS. Motor Trend use high precision Vbox for all their performance test and they test it on the same place every time. Who knows if that video is running down the highway on a slope or something. Also, 4.1 seconds with roll out (as reported from Motor Trend) means 4.4 seconds for the real 0-60 mph.

If the Model 3 has as steel frame, that will add weight. The smaller size means that the added weight *might* be a wash compared to the S. We would have to assume that there's a new (or updated) battery pack that is lighter with at least equal (if not higher) capacity to get over 300 miles in the 3. If that were the case, I would think both the 3 and the S will get the pack, when production starts on it.

I agree, the service centers will need to double (and spread out more) to handle the number of Model 3s that Tesla wants to sell. If they allow the 3 to Supercharge, they will need to expand that network, as well. I'm sure the folks at Tesla have considered all of this and have a plan to execute prior to the actual delivery of 100K+ additional EVs. The sheer number of SuperChargers built in the last year indicates that they are hitting their stride in terms of installations.

One of the measures of success for Tesla will be customer satisfaction not only with the car, but the support network as well. If they pull that off, let the revolution begin ;)

Reactions: mikevbf