Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday was the first Elon said the glass isn't bullet resistant.
yeah. i thought that was always incredibly unlikely ... bullet resistant glass is 1+ inch thick and HEAVY and very very $$$. I was more wondering if he uses the hardened thicker/ more durable windshield glass like Gorilla glass for windshields so stones/pebbles don't crack the windshield as easily. My Model 3 is so prone to those cracks/chips... Some manufacturers like Porsche offer that kind of windshield glass but the costs over a normal same sized windshield are close to 2x.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Just another expensive item to break just out of warranty. Keep the Truck simple. All this extra crap just adds weight.
yup. also another indication Cybertruck won't be less than ~$80k ... adds complexity (= costs) and weight (= less range)

Rivian R1T can do the "tank turn" with their quad-motor and the Hummer EV did the crab-walk first. But yeah ... it's a feature I dont care for and certainly wouldn't pay for it.

More likely they deleted it out of warranty fears. A tank turn will only be safe in loose dirt (like in Rivian videos). Warranty claims would skyrocket when they try that on the street. No amount of caution warning would stop them. Things would break.
Tank turns are also unstable and lead to discovering which way the ground slopes.
Works better with biased traction track.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Four wheel steering on a large truck and make a huge difference in turning radius, and once you have four wheel steering it's super easy to implement a crab walk too.
ok... so we do know the truck can resist 9mm bullets and can do a crab walk. intentionally "leaked" features. meanwhile crickets on range, payload, towing... or price... the stuff that really matters ;)

ok... so we do know the truck can resist 9mm bullets and can do a crab walk. intentionally "leaked" features. meanwhile crickets on range, payload, towing... or price... the stuff that really matters ;)
We know a closer weight number now, too, but Elon said he wanted to save more for the reveal.

We may not even find all of that at reveal.

It's been four years since the unveiling and the CEO cannot give a consistent answer on targeted volume production output or how much the thing actually weighs.

Anyway, cheers.
While the volume numbers have fluctuated I'm pretty sure Elon (and Tesla) know the exact weight at this point they just aren't ready to reveal it to the public.

O2 causes a layer of chromium oxide to form on stainless steels. Stainless (304ss) degrades from exposure to certain chemicals and high heat (if you burn the Cr & Ni out of stainless, it is no longer is stainless steel, and will rust, ect). That’s assuming this is made of 304ss. I doubt a wrap would be an issue

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Looks like about 3 inches of depth….

Edit: sorry I forgot, I am not supposed to be negative…. Looks like class leading storage
I will further conclude that your negativity is prolific and bet you that it is at least 5 inches deep. I actually think it is much more than 5 inches but am willing to put a sizable bet on at least 5 inches.

I will further conclude that your negativity is prolific and bet you that it is at least 5 inches deep. I actually think it is much more than 5 inches but am willing to put a sizable bet on at least 5 inches.

He already has a bet that it weighs more than the hummer EV...not sure he can afford another one. ;)

Last edited: