Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess it’s just me but I’ll take a finger print over rock chips any day.
Same here, plus worse than rock chips. With the stuff I do the stainless steel exterior would be welcome and ideal. I'm sure the "look at me" crowd will buy it for the attention, but for me this is more about durability and function. Unfortunately I can't get over the interior, controls, & feature deletes. If it had the interior of the Lightning it would be a much more compelling option.

People keep saying that, but "what most people use" doesn't mean "what everyone uses"- see the Honda example.

You sure?

As Mongo points out, other truck makers call out a load limit just for the bed as well, because passengers aren't intended for the bed.

So the bed specifically has a cargo limit, and it's lower than the TOTAL vehicle one that includes passengers.
Yes, I'm sure - you can cherry pick an example from a non 1500 series midsize "pickup" that's just a unibody design made to look like a pickup - which is why it has a bed capacity limit in the first place. A real 150/1500 series pickup using a high strength steel body on frame design doesn't have a bed capacity - which is why you won't find one for these pickup designs.
Except there is and other car companies appear to call it out for the bed specifically as Mongo helpfully pointed out.

The ridgeline appears to have a maximum payload capacity of 1,583 pounds, but only 1100 lb BED load capacity.

So only about 2/3rds of the total payload can be in the bed.

Not horribly far off from if only 2500 of a 3500 total payload of a CT can be in the bed eh?

As you say we should know in 10 days (unless they go Semi "delivery event" and don't tell anybody the full specs even then I guess).
Agreed - we'll have to wait until 11/30 - but I'll bet dollars to donuts that it's payload rating and nothing to do with bed capacity. If it has a bed capacity - it's only because it's not a real pickup in the first place - which is entirely possible given the CT is a unibody design at the end of the day - which comes directly from Sandy Munro's assessment after having seen the CT in person and having analyzed the pictures from the factory floor of CTs mid-build.

In fact - I'll go so far as to say it cannot be 3500 lbs - as GVWR maximum from the NHTSA filings is either 8-9k lbs or 9-10k lbs - and if we subtract 3500 from that maximum - that's only between 5500-6500 lbs - and since Musk himself has indicated the lightest CT (the dual motor) weighs over 6700 lbs - and the heaviest CT (the trimotor) weighs just under 7k lbs - that pretty much proves it's not going to be 3500 lbs. 6900lbs+3500lbs= 10,400 lbs (which is over the NHTSA limit). Even the lightest - 6700+3500= 10,200 (which is well over the 8000-9000lb NHTSA filing for the dual motor variant). So yes, I can pretty confidently state, that the math doesn't add up, regardless of what anyone thinks here.

Last edited:
It’s impressive and those who go through with their purchase will be more than happy. The CT will have a huge road presence as some of you already know.

It’s a lot longer than what the pictures show, and it really surprised me.

Tesla did a great job with this truck, unfortunately I see that it might not be for me due to SS, it does look fragile to me. The dashboard is too long and wasted interior space but I suppose they did it for visibility? Don’t know.

Either way, this will be a hot seller and I left impressed at Teslas first effort, we already know they have superior software and battery. Let’s see price, range and road handling manners.

OH AND THE SIGN IS FAKE, THERE WAS NO SIGN. UNLESS IT WAS REMOVED.

IMG_0319.jpeg

IMG_0312.jpeg

It’s impressive and those who go through with their purchase will be more than happy. The CT will have a huge road presence as some of you already know.

It’s a lot longer than what the pictures show, and it really surprised me.

Tesla did a great job with this truck, unfortunately I see that it might not be for me due to SS, it does look fragile to me. The dashboard is too long and wasted interior space but I suppose they did it for visibility? Don’t know.

Either way, this will be a hot seller and I left impressed at Teslas first effort, we already know they have superior software and battery. Let’s see price, range and road handling manners.

OH AND THE SIGN IS FAKE, THERE WAS NO SIGN. UNLESS IT WAS REMOVED.

View attachment 992740

View attachment 992741
According to Reddit, the sign was removed from the San Diego store (the location from the picture) after people pointed out the spelling error.

Yes, I'm sure - you can cherry pick an example

If you say "That's not how payload is measured." in a field and I show you someone else in that field who does it exactly that way, that's not cherry picking, it's debunking.

that's just a unibody design made to look like a pickup - which is why it has a bed capacity limit in the first place....

...If it has a bed capacity - it's only because it's not a real pickup in the first place - which is entirely possible given the CT is a unibody design at the end of the day - which comes directly from Sandy Munro's assessment after having seen the CT in person and having analyzed the pictures from the factory floor of CTs mid-build.

So you went from no way it's a bed limit to actually it might well be a bed limit?

In fact - I'll go so far as to say it cannot be 3500 lbs - as GVWR maximum from the NHTSA filings is either 8-9k lbs or 9-10k lbs - and if we subtract 3500 from that maximum - that's only 6500 lbs - and since Musk himself has indicated the lightest CT (the dual motor) weighs over 6700 lbs - and the heaviest CT (the trimotor) weighs just under 7k lb

I don't recall that- though Elon says tons of stuff so I might have missed it- do you have a citation for Elon saying that?

Follow-up- I did find a supposed quote from him from Rogan, but they're citing 6-7k not 6700-7.

During his appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience on Tuesday, Musk said the Cybertruck weighed between 6,000 and 7,000 pounds, depending on the configuration selected.

6k plus 3500 keeps you under 10k, though obviously 7k+3500 does not.

Last edited:
it also makes no sense that the bed is limited to 2,500 lbs but the rest of the vehicle can apparently take another 1,000 lbs.... how are you going to fit 1,000 lbs even into the cabin which is smaller than a full size truck cab and the tiny frunk? Not even 4 grossly obese adults will get you to 1,000 lbs in the cab....

Tesla would advertise 3,500 lbs !!!!! payload if that were the case and not artifically lower that number to less impressive 2,500 lbs (but just limited for the bed)...

it also makes no sense that the bed is limited to 2,500 lbs but the rest of the vehicle can apparently take another 1,000 lbs.... how are you going to fit 1,000 lbs even into the cabin

5 passengers each weighing 200 lbs. It's a 5 seater vehicle. That's putting nothing at all in the frunk.

which is smaller than a full size truck cab and the tiny frunk? Not even 4 grossly obese adults will get you to 1,000 lbs in the cab....

Err... how much do you think the average person weighs exactly?

If you say "That's not how payload is measured." in a field and I show you someone else in that field who does it exactly that way, that's not cherry picking, it's debunking.
You didn't show that.

Honda list in the manual that the bed has a maximum loading weight, but they still advertise a maximum payload and it's even cited on a different page. Again, this is a huge stretch.

According to Reddit, the sign was removed from the San Diego store (the location from the picture) after people pointed out the spelling error.

Thanks! That makes sense.

I also agree with those that say the CT will be in its own category. It’s not a traditional truck but then it’s a truck. I’m still 50/50 but way down the list. Hopefully by the time my number come around there will be enough unbiased reviews and improvement.

You didn't show that.

Honda list in the manual that the bed has a maximum loading weight, but they still advertise a maximum payload and it's even cited on a different page. Again, this is a huge stretch.

I agree someone's stretching... but it's the guy who keeps insisting the sign didn't say what it said, and we should ignore where the arrow pointed, and we should ignore other trucks also list bed specific limits, and we should also ignore the original announced specs, and we should also ignore the ones still listed at tesla.com right now.

I mean, it's possible ALL of that stuff is wrong... but suggesting you're on the right side of Occam's razor here just ain't so.

Why is Tesla putting CTs in showrooms, when the demand is supposedly in the gazillions (based on the reported number of reservations) and initial production is predicted to be extremely limited? My theory is that it is being done to prepare buyers for the incoming sticker shock. The truck will be more expensive than what the present rumors say it will be.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Why is Tesla putting CTs in showrooms, when the demand is supposedly in the gazillions (based on the reported number of reservations) and initial production is predicted to be extremely limited? My theory is that it is being done to prepare buyers for the incoming sticker shock. The truck will be more expensive than what the present rumors say it will be.
Or they simply want to display it for potential buyers to make their own decision vs the internet assumption portal.

I agree someone's stretching... but it's the guy who keeps insisting the sign didn't say what it said, and we should ignore where the arrow pointed, and we should ignore other trucks also list bed specific limits, and we should also ignore the original announced specs, and we should also ignore the ones still listed at tesla.com right now.

I mean, it's possible ALL of that stuff is wrong... but suggesting you're on the right side of Occam's razor here just ain't so.
Wait, basically everyone here is against you and you think everyone else is stretching? Again, your leap makes no logical sense. There's no reason for Tesla to lower their advertised limit. Simply because there's an arrow to the bed means nothing. Again, Honda Ridgeline advertises that their payload is up to 1,580 lbs, but you cite a excerpt from the manual about maximum bed weight and try to twist that it's the same thing. That's not a stretch?

Also, the specs on Tesla.com say sail storage, ramp, door handles, 14,000 lbs towing, on and on...they haven't changed since 2019...this is a known. That's your backing?

The sign could be wrong, but you created a leap that it's only the bed and not including passengers. The sign didn't say that, no one else in the industry uses that sort of logic...it's irrational. It's just like when Ford fans said the Lightning range was with 1,000 lbs in the bed...there was no reason to think that either, but fans like to fanboy.

5 passengers each weighing 200 lbs. It's a 5 seater vehicle. That's putting nothing at all in the frunk.

Err... how much do you think the average person weighs exactly?
Indeed, frunk is up to 420 pounds if leak is accurate.

From the same leak
2 motor 6,670 Ibs, 3 motor 6,890 Ibs curb weight
Which leaves 2,330 to 9k on dual and 3,110 to 10k on tri (based on top end of VIN decoder categories)

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Because they built a lot of non-salable units during the production line spool up and it's better to put them in showrooms than a landfill?

Because they built a lot of non-salable units during the production line spool up and it's better to put them in showrooms than a landfill?
Non-saleable? If the demand is really that high, people will be trying to buy the CT floor models. That is, unless they are just mock ups. It will be easy to tell this though, since after November 30th, won't Tesla be giving CT test drives?

So you went from no way it's a bed limit to actually it might well be a bed limit?
You used an example from an entirely different midsize pickup class that doesn't really apply to comparisons from 150/1500+ series pickups - so you were in point of fact comparing apples and oranges. That said - given the CT Is really a unibody design - we shall see.
I don't recall that- though Elon says tons of stuff so I might have missed it- do you have a citation for Elon saying that?

Follow-up- I did find a supposed quote from him from Rogan, but they're citing 6-7k not 6700-7.

6k plus 3500 keeps you under 10k, though obviously 7k+3500 does not.
From a previously posted leak on this thread:

Overall length: 18.6 feet
Overall width (no mirrors): 79.9*
Overall height (medium setting): 70.5*
Wheelbase: 143* curb weights
2 motor 6,670 Ibs 3 motor 6,890 lbs
Tow rating 11,000lbs
Max tongue: 1,110lbs
Bed length length 72.8*
Bed Width: 51°
Frunk volume 7.1 f13
Weight capacity of frunk 420lbs