Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I thought it would slightly edge out the Rivian at least on city streets after seeing the range and approximate capacity. But did not expect a scalar exceeding 0.8!

It’s definitely time for EPA to make a change - no more of this silly business and just do a constant 70mph range test. (In addition to existing tests.)

City-only efficiencies from above:
CT unknown tires: 410Wh/mi
R1TDL 20” AT: 409Wh/mi
R1TDL 21” street: 360Wh/mi

Things won’t look better for CT relative to Rivian on the highway for sure.
Honest question because I have No idea how they are directed for testing. Can they only test by the “laws of the road” (speed limit) or could they evaluate based on the law of average use? Not sure how they must evaluate and their flexibility to deviate test parameters.

Honest question because I have No idea how they are directed for testing. Can they only test by the “laws of the road” (speed limit) or could they evaluate based on the law of average use? Not sure how they must evaluate and their flexibility to deviate test parameters.
There are standard test cycles (all on a dyno) they must run. Most/all manufacturers run 5 cycles.

Some manufacturers use just the two-cycle results (55% UDDS, 45% HWFE) scaled by 0.7, some scale them by a factor based on five-cycle results which is greater than 0.7. Tesla does this. Rivian does this. Tesla uses some of the highest scaling in the industry. In best-case range scenarios, the advantages on cold/hot tests that lead to a large scalar are not very relevant. So it is dumb. So look up raw results and scale (no consumer will do this).

The cycles are very specific, and slow, even highway cycle. The manufacturer must program the dyno to accurately represent the road load and if they don’t the EPA will audit and eventually figure it out.

There is no flexibility at all really.

They can voluntarily reduce stated range.

Just ask your elected representatives for an Interstate freeway EPA test to be added which must be done for all passenger vehicles, representing a constant speed of 70mph for the entire test cycle (energy exhaustion cycles must also be run at that same load!!!). The results should not be combined with other results, but quoted as a separate range & efficiency number. Maybe the only range number! It would be fair for average efficiency (running cost) to NOT be based on that number though.

Last edited:

More details here.
"However you will have to wait as the email also states production of the Range Extender won’t begin until late 2024".

good thing as they clearly only had ~4 years to figure it out. At $16k and Service Center *install* required... it doesnt sound like it will be more than a bragging rights niche product

"However you will have to wait as the email also states production of the Range Extender won’t begin until late 2024".
good thing as they clearly only had ~4 years to figure it out. At $16k and Service Center *install* required... it doesnt sound like it will be more than a bragging rights niche product

What I don't understand is how come, on a 18.6+ foot long by 8 foot wide chassis, Tesla engineers could not find room to house ample quantity of batteries without taking up space in the trunk?

Did they not utilize any of the space under the bed?
Did they not figure out how to mega-cast the right shapes to contain the batteries?
Did all the the good engineers quit after JB Straubel left?

The presence of "Range Extender", at any price, is an admission of failure to design the chassis around target battery capacity shape and size. Or engineering incompetence to execute on the plan.
This just seams way too weird to be true.
Yet, it is.

a

P.S.: Rivian managed to fit 149 kWh battery under its chassis. Tesla tapped out at 123 kWh. ;-(

What I don't understand is how come, on a 18.6+ foot long by 8 foot wide chassis, Tesla engineers could not find room to house ample quantity of batteries without taking up space in the trunk?

Did they not figure out how to mega-cast the right shapes to contain the batteries?

The presence of "Range Extender", at any price, is an admission of failure to design the chassis around target battery capacity shape and size. Or engineering incompetence to execute on the plan.
Yet, it is.

a

P.S.: Rivian managed to fit 149 kWh battery under its chassis. Tesla tapped out at 122 kWh. ;-(
Watch out, the Elon devotionalists are coming for you…

Yet, it is.

a

P.S.: Rivian managed to fit 149 kWh battery under its chassis. Tesla tapped out at 123 kWh. ;-(
range extender + spare tire in the bed for the win. lol. no usable bed space left at this point ...

meanwhile Rivian packs in 149kwh batter plus a spare tire under compartment of the bed.... full bed still usable

range extender + spare tire in the bed for the win. lol. no usable bed space left at this point ...

meanwhile Rivian packs in 149kwh batter plus a spare tire under compartment of the bed.... full bed still usable
Don’t forget, that Rivian gives you a built-in air compressor for airing down and airing up your tires when going off road. For this cyber truck, you will need to buy and toss in that bed full of other stuff a compressors well… ha ha ha

And, with the Rivian, you get a gear tunnel for a lot more storage of things like recovery boards, toolboxes, and much much more plus you also get storage under the the bed….

Yet, it is.

a

They also didn't find space for a spare tire like literally every other pickup truck on the market.

I see the range extender like the aux tank I added to my LX470. Without it, I would get stuck overlanding since the main tank gets about 200 miles at about 8.5 mpg. Using the CT "range extender" for anything other than occasionally exploring off the beaten path would be like me keeping both tanks full driving around town. I believe they landed on the main battery size based on minimizing excess weight. I currently daily a MS 90D with an 80% charge around 225 miles never feel like I don't have enough range. I paid $134k for my Plaid X last year so the CT's range and price seems perfect in comparison...as long as it doesn't vibrate.

I see the range extender like the aux tank I added to my LX470. Without it, I would get stuck overlanding since the main tank gets about 200 miles at about 8.5 mpg. Using the CT "range extender" for anything other than occasionally exploring off the beaten path would be like me keeping both tanks full driving around town. I believe they landed on the main battery size based on minimizing excess weight. I currently daily a MS 90D with an 80% charge around 225 miles never feel like I don't have enough range. I paid $134k for my Plaid X last year so the CT's range and price seems perfect in comparison...as long as it doesn't vibrate.
but an aux tank isn't a $16,000 option which takes up 1/3rd of the bed.... imho ... if you need RANGE and TOW ... hard to beat a gasoline truck with large tank option and save over $30k compared to the Cybertruck+range extender...

Best (and only!) video I have seen:

Maybe there are better ones.

You can see from the video the exact extents of the battery in relation to the truck chassis by lining up parts of it.

The penthouse which is the last part of the pack looks to be just behind the rear seats (not under them of course). Maybe the pack extends one foot or so under the bed?

I guess that would conveniently locate the penthouse for mating to the vaunted vaporware range extender. I assume they share chargers.

Should be able to determine exact dimensions and determine how many cells it contains. I assume it is full…it needs to be at most about 123/67.5/1.1 = 1.66 so 66% bigger than the Model Y pack. Plenty of videos of that pack to obtain dimensions.

Maybe it isn’t full though!
Rivian managed to fit 149 kWh battery under its chassis.
Technically 141kWh at the moment. That is the max they have extracted to date.

Their pack is double stacked 2170 so quite a bit thicker than Tesla’s. Lots of other differences too of course.

Last edited:
The range extender is not a serious product. Not a single person is discussing how, in fact, it will even attach to the main battery.

It was a theoretical idea Tesla had to throw in there because they weren't close to the 500 miles range they advertised.
The extender has two HV ports and sits between the pack and rear drive unit.
Internally, it has it's own set of isolation contactors and series/parallel switch.

(Speaking theoretically, of course)

but an aux tank isn't a $16,000 option which takes up 1/3rd of the bed.... imho ... if you need RANGE and TOW ... hard to beat a gasoline truck with large tank option and save over $30k compared to the Cybertruck+range extender...
Agree 100%. If you tow, there are no EV's for you and that's fine. That's what diesel is for, period.