Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's that time again - embarrassing loud AC compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok, so i went out and made a video of it. I turned on the A/C from the passenger side then just walked around the front. It gets louder over time. you can start to hear it around 0:43. it gets louder slowly. then around 2:40 to the end of the video you can easily hear it get louder and louder and LOUDER. sounds ridiculous.

Yep, that's the ugly noise! Exactly the same for mine, except it gets ugly faster, but it's hot out there today, 93f air, and 127f inside the car currently.

Really hope there is a solution for this.
Eco mode isn't quite as bad but last year when I had a full car of people, Eco mode wasn't enough so I had to bust out the embarrassing loud normal AC. It really is more than just fans and a compressor. There is some vibration or whine in there. I took a video and had the service center check it out but they were unable to reproduce. They topped off my coolant and the noise is still there. As bad as ever.
My workaround involves precooling and venting the pano

I'll get the same noise as captured in the video... combo of fan/compressor. It just honestly doesn't bother me that much.

Maybe it's because I realize that not only is the A/C system responsible for cooling the passenger cabin, but it also has to manage 1,500 lbs of thermal mass as represented by the battery pack, and as such there are times when that sucker is going to have to work hard[1]. Have you ever heard the electric fans on an ICE going full-bore after the car is parked?

That having been said, if there's some vibration being transferred to another vehicle component via the compressor housing or coolant lines that can easily be eliminated, or some acoustic shielding that can be retrofitted in, I wouldn't object to quieting it down via thos means.

[1] Yes, I understand that the battery was not likely hot in that video, but there are times when it will represent the significant load on the system.

Last edited:
From my invoice:

Go forth and get your jet turbines silenced!

Well I guess this will be what pushes me over the edge to actually get my car serviced again, finally. Since there is a bulletin for it. I need to get a couple other minor things looked at anyway... maybe since I am already over 4,000 miles now, and fast approaching 6,000 I should just wait and get my tires rotated all at the same time haha!

Just to claify my own issue, I don't hear any buzzing or whine. What I hear, and am unhappy with, is the EXTREMELY loud fan runs.

Listening to your video ... yeah - that's fan and not the buzzing you'll hear in yogbid20's video above. That did sound a little excessive on yours; though for me, the buzzing is a far worse noise.

I get the buzzing/resonance too. The fan noise I think I'd be OK with, that's not an 'ugly' sound. Even when an ICE car cools down after a long run, it's just a big fan noise, but it has an even tone to it. In my head, I think my AC compressor is knocking against some kind of shield, it certainly sounds that way, and it's genuinely very loud in the cabin. Of course, when I asked Service to look at it last year, by the time the car was booked in the weather had cooled down, and it just didn't make that noise.

For me, there's nothing more awesome than silently rolling out my garage, but here in Dallas, that isn't an option from at least April to September. I suspect it's less of a noticeable issue in the more temperate climates where the temp typically sticks below 80-85f/28c.

Do you think that this issue has been or will be addressed for the upcoming Model X? They haven't started production yet, so one would hope that they could correct or minimize the issue from the start. The X will be built off of S platform so there is much to be shared even though it's a much different EV. I really hope we don't have to go down this road a year from now when the X's start rolling out... I only have 3 months of the year where I DON'T use AC. lol

Do you think that this issue has been or will be addressed for the upcoming Model X? They haven't started production yet, so one would hope that they could correct or minimize the issue from the start. The X will be built off of S platform so there is much to be shared even though it's a much different EV. I really hope we don't have to go down this road a year from now when the X's start rolling out... I only have 3 months of the year where I DON'T use AC. lol

I have no doubt. As has been said before, the Model S will be the worst production car that Tesla produces, they've learnt so much from it, much of which will go to make the Model X even more amazing.

I doubt they'll let anything like this propagate. As an early X owner, you'll get to handle any early X-specific issues that arise, though.

Anyone else had the acoustic blanket / bracket installed with feedback on efficacy (or lack thereof)?

Service center first said noise was normal. Car was in for armor plating. When we picked it up they said they found a service bulletin on the noise, and had installed the new bracket and blanket. Cut the noise down by at least half.

I wish I only had the loud jet-engine-like noise of the AC compressor to complain about. Mine does this really loud squeaking sound as if a bearing is completely worn. It's done this from day-one and the car has been in several times and has never been fixed. This squeaky A/C is ten-times more embarrassing than the jet-engine/vibrating sound that I also have.

I wish I only had the loud jet-engine-like noise of the AC compressor to complain about. Mine does this really loud squeaking sound as if a bearing is completely worn. It's done this from day-one and the car has been in several times and has never been fixed. This squeaky A/C is ten-times more embarrassing than the jet-engine/vibrating sound that I also have.

Ken,

I had that last year. As the fan wound down, it would sound like a squeaky wheel. I was told it wasn't actually anything squeaking, but it was pressurized air or something being released from somewhere. I don't remember the exact details, and didn't fully buy it, but winter came and I forgot all about it.

Knock in wood, but so far this year, none of that.

The air conditioner in my Prius is much quieter and much more effective! The loud buzzing at start up is really annoying and not right at all. And it comes and goes as the car rocks when driving over bumpy surfaces, which indicates that it is due to less than ideal positioning of the compressor. I'm definitely getting this fixed the next time I visit the service center.

I get the buzzing/resonance too. The fan noise I think I'd be OK with, that's not an 'ugly' sound. Even when an ICE car cools down after a long run, it's just a big fan noise, but it has an even tone to it. In my head, I think my AC compressor is knocking against some kind of shield, it certainly sounds that way, and it's genuinely very loud in the cabin. Of course, when I asked Service to look at it last year, by the time the car was booked in the weather had cooled down, and it just didn't make that noise.

There is something definitely amplifying the noise, but the "buzzing" you hear is definitely the standard noise made by a variable speed scroll compressor at high RPM. There are several YouTube videos that demonstrate the noise. It's usually masked by a giant fan in home A/C units. When the compressor needs to spin up at that RPM, little you do will be able to silence it completely. Good to hear the blanket and mounting bracket dampens the noise a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

The air conditioner in my Prius is much quieter and much more effective! The loud buzzing at start up is really annoying and not right at all. And it comes and goes as the car rocks when driving over bumpy surfaces, which indicates that it is due to less than ideal positioning of the compressor. I'm definitely getting this fixed the next time I visit the service center.

You don't specify which Prius you have, but 2004-2011 models all used a Denso ES18 compressor, rated at 4500W power consumption at max speed. My observation is that the Tesla uses far less power when the compressor is going at full speed, although I don't have the specs on the compressor used (anyone happen to have a reference?). My guess is that they engineered for the best power consumption. The Prius can always burn gas to supply power as necessary, so that isn't as much of an issue compared to Model S.

Ken,

I had that last year. As the fan wound down, it would sound like a squeaky wheel. I was told it wasn't actually anything squeaking, but it was pressurized air or something being released from somewhere. I don't remember the exact details, and didn't fully buy it, but winter came and I forgot all about it.

Knock in wood, but so far this year, none of that.

Well, it doesn't sound like pressurized air releasing because it's a periodic squeak that is constantly there when the A/C is running and slows-down to a stop when spinning-down or speeds-up when spinning-up. It is, as you say, the most apparent when spinning-down. I've heard the same thing on another loaner car (the one I have now), but plenty of other cars do not have this annoyance. So, you're saying that your squeak went away? Mine is over a year old and 25k miles and it's only gotten worse. And it gets worse each time they "fix" it. The service centers on the San Francisco peninsula are located on such busy roads (El Camino in Menlo Park and Palo Alto, US 101 in Burlingame) that they can't hear any noise from the cars. Not sure how they can diagnose anything noisy/rattly.