Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's that time again - embarrassing loud AC compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can a compressor noise, or any normal noise emanating from a car, be "embarrassing"? This must be the first AC compressor in history that makes someone feel ashamed. That's not the response I had, not by a long shot. I've had my car for over 9 months. The compressor is loud because there is no engine noise masking the compressor. There is nothing abnormal about the noise itself. Cars make noises. So do EVs, for that matter. Just because our cars are electric doesn't mean they will always be silent in every circumstance. Cars make noises.

The first time I heard the AC compressor, I thought "oh hey, that's the AC. Cool." I never assigned a negative emotional value to that noise. It's a normal noise. Just like the vacuum pump coming on when you tap your brake pedal. Or the car making a similar noise while it re-levels itself when you exist. Living in AZ, I'm thankful the Model S has such a powerful AC.

I've never heard the AC of an ICE be anywhere near as loud. To me, this isn't like the vacuum pump for the brakes or some other random noise -- it's so much louder. Heck even driving an ICE is less disturbing to listen to than the racket this AC puts out. It's not horrible inside the cabin (it's not great) but it's pretty crazy outside the cabin. The pitch / makeup of the noise is perhaps the worst component (versus the decibels involved).

I don't mind some minor noise, but I do mind the existing loud compressor that makes it sound like I have a cheap 25yr old 4cylinder honda engine under the hood that's breathing it's last breath before its about to keel over and die type sound.

I got my Model S at the end of the hot season last year, so I didn't really work the AC too much. This year my experience has been much like yours. Indeed, I fully believed my AC to be broken and reduced its usage substantially. Then I saw this thread with a lot of the same complaints, particularly that cycling the compressor off and then on again usually fixes it. I made a video and sent it to my SC. They said they put some parts on order for me that will reduce the harmonic vibrations being caused by the compressor, and that I could continue to use the AC until that time without damaging it. That's been a few weeks now, and the parts are still on order.

Without engine noise everything seems louder. Means Tesla will have to work harder than most to lessen this sound. Additional sound dampening material maybe?

I'd have agreed with you until my car started doing it. It is LOUD. I heard it from across the parking lot when I used the app to cool the car remotely. Thinking the same as you, I sat my Tesla next to my Evo which has a nearly straight-through exhaust and a belt-driven AC compressor, and the Tesla's compressor was undeniably louder than the Evo's engine+exhaust(at idle)+compressor. I think it must vibrate at the resonant frequency of something under the hood, amplifying the sound, which would explain why it can go away by "turning it off and then on again." The frequency changes slightly and all is good.

I had a pedestrian at a crosswalk ask if my car was OK. So, yes, perhaps a little embarrassing.

I'm not saying it isn't loud from the outside. I'm just saying that I've always considered it one of the more or less "normal" noises put out by this car. The AC doesn't just cool the cabin interior, it also cools a very large battery. So it has to be quite powerful to handle both simultaneously. I don't think comparisons to other, quieter ACs in other cars is a fair comparison. No other car has over 7,000 lithium ion cells to cool in addition to keeping passengers comfortable.

I'm not saying it isn't loud from the outside. I'm just saying that I've always considered it one of the more or less "normal" noises put out by this car. The AC doesn't just cool the cabin interior, it also cools a very large battery. So it has to be quite powerful to handle both simultaneously. I don't think comparisons to other, quieter ACs in other cars is a fair comparison. No other car has over 7,000 lithium ion cells to cool in addition to keeping passengers comfortable.

I don't know if you were responding to me in particular, but I wouldn't say the car in my example is quiet. When importing it to the state it was found to be just under the legal limit for exhaust volume in CA. My wife thought it was hilarious the car I race and is barely street legal because of all the noise it makes was quieter than my Tesla with the AC on.

In any case, Tesla seems to have acknowledged that it's not supposed to sound like this and that they have a fix, so it's safe to say it's not a "normal noise put out by this car".

Of course, there is the other possibility that your car's not actually making this noise. The AC is loud when it's working normally, but it's clearly normal compressor noise. When it gets in this unusual state it is something completely different. It doesn't even sound the same.

Last edited:

Wrt how powerful it needs to be - the AC on an RV or a bus (or my central air) is quieter. The output requirement doesn't dictate the loudness (I understand the space constraints involved here which come into play yes but it's still reasonable to engineer a quieter system given those constraints).
I get what you're saying - to a point. However, if we just listen to the percentage of people unhappy with the noise, there's clearly an issue.
(Btw I appreciate your input and candor. I'm not trying to gang up on you :)

I don't know if you were responding to me in particular, but I wouldn't say the car in my example is quiet. When importing it to the state it was found to be just under the legal limit for exhaust volume in CA. My wife thought it was hilarious the car I race and is barely street legal because of all the noise it makes was quieter than my Tesla with the AC on.

In any case, Tesla seems to have acknowledged that it's not supposed to sound like this and that they have a fix, so it's safe to say it's not a "normal noise put out by this car".

Of course, there is the other possibility that your car's not actually making this noise. The AC is loud when it's working normally, but it's clearly normal compressor noise. When it gets in this unusual state it is something completely different. It doesn't even sound the same.

That might be it then, there might be two crowds of people without realizing it. Those who think the "normal" sound is too loud, and those who are actually hearing something far worse with their car, and it becomes REALLY loud haha! Hopefully they can fix it for you!

My AC is certainly embarrassingly loud when running at full power. It sometimes drowns out the Mustangs and pick-ups with aftermarket exhaust next to me. Sounds terrible, and the vibration can be felt through the brake pedal, steering wheel, and in the passenger seat. Was told last summer that it was normal, but they are looking on sourcing a new compressor. Is there a fix now?

My AC is certainly embarrassingly loud when running at full power. It sometimes drowns out the Mustangs and pick-ups with aftermarket exhaust next to me. Sounds terrible, and the vibration can be felt through the brake pedal, steering wheel, and in the passenger seat. Was told last summer that it was normal, but they are looking on sourcing a new compressor. Is there a fix now?

There is a "fix" for this out now. It's a insulating blanket and a different bracket. When I was in last time they installed the blanket, but did not have the bracket. It did not improve the sound and I actually think it might be worse than it was before. I am convinced there is either something (compressor, line, bracket) contacting either the frame or more likely the frunk tub and amplifying the noise now.

There's a TSB now that involves a sound insulating "blanket" and a new bracket to keep the compressor from vibrating.

When I was in two weeks ago for another issue I asked if they had ever come up with a fix, as I had complained last summer and told there was nothing they could do yet at that time. Indeed, yes, they said they have this fix now and they installed them.

It's not been hot enough here to test it fully, but the little I have run the A/C it seems much quieter.

From my invoice:

Concern: Customer states: AC compressor is very loud, would like to know if we can provide some type of silencing material. Please check and advise.

Corrections: Cabin HVAC General Diagnosis

Tested HVAC system. Found bulletin SB-14-18-002 needs to be performed.

Corrections: Install Acoustic Cover And Bracket

Installed cover and bracket as per bulletin. Verified compressor noise is now quieter.

Parts Replaced or Added
MDL S, COMPRESSOR NVH COVER (1028988-00-A)
BRKT AC COMP TO AC BRKT (1006079-00-D)

Pay Type: Warranty

Go forth and get your jet turbines silenced!

Interesting topic... I get the cooling-system ramp up too... but I've always felt I was hearing more of the condenser fan pulling air across the coils through the louvered intake vent more so than the compressor itself (although I can hear/feel that as well)...

Is everybody just lumping all that sound together as "A/C noise"?

Interesting topic... I get the cooling-system ramp up too... but I've always felt I was hearing more of the condenser fan pulling air across the coils through the louvered intake vent more so than the compressor itself (although I can hear/feel that as well)...

Is everybody just lumping all that sound together as "A/C noise"?

No -- the noise in question is a higher pitched buzzing from the compressor; doesn't sound like a fan at all (unless you image shoving a pencil into a high-speed fan).

ok, so i went out and made a video of it. I turned on the A/C from the passenger side then just walked around the front. It gets louder over time. you can start to hear it around 0:43. it gets louder slowly. then around 2:40 to the end of the video you can easily hear it get louder and louder and LOUDER. sounds ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator: