Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's that time again - embarrassing loud AC compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One way around it is to enable range mode and that will probably never allow max-a/c, thus eliminating the jet-taking-off sound/vibration.

The easier way is to start at a relatively high temperature. It won't run at max and will still feel cool. Then as you drive lower the temperature. If you ask it to go from 45 to 21, it's going to do the A/C compressor equivalent of a rocket launch.

In fairness the other morning I went to our local cars and coffee and the maserati owner pulled up and even over the sound of his engine you could distinctly hear the AC compressor running (it was like 80 out at like 8:30 in the morning) and it really didn't sound any worse than mine used to sound (pre change by Tesla).

So I still stand by what I believe I had said here once long ago that it is likely just annoyingly loud because there is no other sounds to fill the air.

The only time the AC gets too loud is a hot day at the supercharger... The car and the sound of the fans from the chargers in the cabinet is quite loud, Lol.

Having this same issue but it only started happening to me after update 7.0. Drive for 2 minutes with AC on very low and the fan starts blasting as high as when I use a supercharger. I can hear the fan inside the car over the radio. Service center added sound dampening but basically said thats the way it is because the new update helped the car cool down faster.

Its not a normal car sound it sounds much louder than any other car I've had even when you include engine noise. It literally sounds like a jet engine. And I was running the AC at a very low setting with the fan at one. It was only in the low 80s outside as well, maybe not even that.