Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Spring! The Model S Design Studio is Live!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a bar across the middle though. Doesn't the pano roof have that?

Yeah. In the middle of the car. From the top down view it's missing so it looks like they are trying to give you a look of the entire interior from the top without anything blocking your view (even the glass is missing).

I'm a little disappointed in the performance seats. Other than the red piping (black leather), they didn't do much. A two toned Rally style seat like the Roadster or maybe the Tesla logo in the head rest would have been great.

I don't think they mean it to be the pano roof. If you look, there's absolutely nothing there. It looks like they are trying to show you a peak through the top as if it weren't even there.

I think Trnsl8r is talking about the full passenger side interior view, not the overhead view. If so, it looks like he's correct: That view shows the pano roof even if you have selected a solid roof.

The other thing I've noticed is that on every interior view/selection, it shows a white, or cream colored headliner. If this is the only headliner color choice, I'm disappointed. I've never seen a car with a mandatory headliner choice other than dark charcoal. White is an anomaly, and seems to throw yet another color into the mix.

The other thing I've noticed is that on every interior view/selection, it shows a white, or cream colored headliner. If this is the only headliner color choice, I'm disappointed. I've never seen a car with a mandatory headliner choice other than dark charcoal. White is an anomaly, and seems to throw yet another color into the mix.

It's certainly not pure white, but a cream color as you say. A light headliner gives a much more open feeling to the cabin. You're not gonna want a dark headliner. It'll feel suffocating. Light gray seems to be a common headliner choice for cars, even with dark interiors, which makes sense. I think they made the right choice here.

Based on the Design Studio renderings I agree that from my perspective a cream colored headliner doesn't really go well with the grey or black interior, black or white would. I think cream looks fine with the tan interior.

Larry

It's certainly not pure white, but a cream color as you say. A light headliner gives a much more open feeling to the cabin. You're not gonna want a dark headliner. It'll feel suffocating. Light gray seems to be a common headliner choice for cars, even with dark interiors, which makes sense. I think they made the right choice here.

Are you saying the headliner is cream or light grey? In my opinion it makes a difference in matching the interiors provided.

I agree the headliner should be a light color.

Larry

Hi all,

My wife and I have been debating the importance of matching the color of the interior to the color of the exterior. Assuming our color selections are fixed as presented in the Design Studio, in selecting an interior color, which is more important to you, matching the interior to the exterior, or matching to the headliner color?

Thanks.

Larry

I don't think anybody's mentioned it yet...

1. The seat belt receptacle for the driver's side matches the interior coloration [of the side, ceiling].
2. The "key" portion of the seat belt looks chrome with a black frame around it.
3. The "lock" portion of the rear seatbelts is black.

All three of the above appears to be consistent across all interior combinations.

The fabric of the seat belt is color-matched to the white interior OR is black. This appears to be a Signature exclusive.

Edit in brackets.

My wife and I have been debating the importance of matching the color of the interior to the color of the exterior. Assuming our color selections are fixed as presented in the Design Studio, in selecting an interior color, which is more important to you, matching the interior to the exterior, or matching to the headliner color
Hi, Larry -- Like you, I find the slight clash between the cream headliner and the gray leather to be jarring -- jarring enough that I'm nervous about choosing gray. I don't have the same problem with the cream and black, and I agree that the cream and tan look good together.

From my perspective, either the tan or gray goes with either the blue or green exterior, so I haven't had to face the question of giving up my preferred paint to accommodate the mismatched headliner/leather. I take some comfort from reports that the tan in the Design Studio is yellower than the actual samples at Santana Row -- perhaps that's the case with the headliner, too?

From my perspective, either the tan or gray goes with either the blue or green exterior, so I haven't had to face the question of giving up my preferred paint to accommodate the mismatched headliner/leather.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the response.

Weren't you also considering a silver exterior at one time? Would your answer have been different if silver was your preferred exterior color?

Larry

Hi, Larry -- Like you, I find the slight clash between the cream headliner and the gray leather to be jarring -- jarring enough that I'm nervous about choosing gray. I don't have the same problem with the cream and black, and I agree that the cream and tan look good together.

I can live with the headliner being cream colored, it's the creme pillar posts next to the gray leather that is so jarring. I hope that they are being misrepresented in the Design studio as creme colored. The interior would look much more integrated if the pillar posts matched the interior color selected.

I can live with the headliner being cream colored, it's the creme pillar posts next to the gray leather that is so jarring. I hope that they are being misrepresented in the Design studio as creme colored. The interior would look much more integrated if the pillar posts matched the interior color selected.

Hi Tommy,

If Tesla doesn't match the pillar posts color to the interior, would you consider changing your interior color selection?

Thanks.

Larry

It's industry-standard to use the headliner fabric on the pillar posts -- check out the interiors on BMW 5-series, Audi A6, or MB E-class.

Revisiting the MB E-class configurator was instructional. Note that MB, like Tesla, keeps nearly all of the (gray/black) interior the same regardless of the leather color. Audi, OTOH, uses the same silver-white headliner for the black, brown, and gray leather, but shifts to a cream headliner for the tan leather. BMW changes most interior elements to match or complement the interior upholstery--even the dead pedal is color-coded!

Hi Tommy,

If Tesla doesn't match the pillar posts color to the interior, would you consider changing your interior color selection?

Thanks.

Larry

Yes, I would consider changing my interior color selection. I prefer the gray interior but have the color conflict with the pillars to deal with. The tan color interior matches the pillar posts the best IMO, however on my display the tan has an orange hue to it which I do not care for. So I am left with waiting to see actual production car interiors to finalize my decision.

Hmm, did anyone else notice that the interior does not include:
  • Grab handles above the doors
  • Small hooks above the rear doors, to hang a jacket
I certainly use those hooks on a regular basis -- I don't drive in my suit-jacket to avoid creasing, and hanging it above the left rear passenger door is very convenient (and standard on every competing vehicle I've driven). The grab handle was something that my (now deceased) arthritic mother always used to help on entry and egress. I'd put those hooks on a higher priority list than the grab bars, inasmuch as they aren't nearly as intrusive.

Did anyone fiddle around with the backseat? It appears that there are fold-down arms built in back there -- yes, no? If so, did they have any cupholders?