Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior gloss carbon upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm working on the next phase of upgrading my Plaid's interior...gloss carbon trim and a gloss carbon/leather steering wheel. Let's face it, the stock interior sucks, so hopefully this will spruce it up a bit. I'll post pics as the upgrades are added.

I bought this car because it's very fast and has a usable rear seat. I traded my 2017 GT-R which didn't have enough space in the back for what I needed. The exterior is pretty good, handling and brakes are fine for street use, some of the tech is good (and some is really annoying), but the interior is really bad. Of my current cars (2022 X5M and 2017F-Type SVR are the others) the Plaid is a distant 3rd in interior quality, and pretty much every comparable car for sale has a better interior. In fact, of all of the cars that I've had over the last 25 years, only one was worse, a 2002 Chevy Silverado, which ironically I also upgraded with dash trim and a new steering wheel. Funny thing, though, the steering wheel replacement didn't go well and the horn kept going off when I hit bumps while driving around town. Anyway...

My Plaid came with the wood ( 🤮) and since it's not a 1970s Cadillac Sedan de Ville, the first thing I did was to get a carbon wrap. That helped, but some areas don't look right and it's just not the same as the real thing. My original yoke was peeling, so I had it replaced under warranty. I honestly hate the yoke, and tried to get them to replace it with a wheel, but they wouldn't. So I ordered a wheel from Tesla, but they're back-ordered 3 months. So I'm going aftermarket. So between the wheel and the trim, Tesla missed out on $2K of my hard-earned money. But hopefully after this I won't be embarrassed to have people in my car any more.

It seems the easy fix for Tesla's margin contraction is to actually sell the things people want. Luxury items are high-margin. Porsche makes a killing by offering endless options for interior upgrades. It also helps prop up the value of their cars. I know many people who like Tesla as a brand, but won't buy the cars because of the interiors. Even if Tesla offered a couple of different trims, including gloss carbon, piano black, and some leather upgrades, they'd sell well. Just think, a full leather option for $5K. It would get checked every time. Tesla should fire whoever designs their interiors and bring in someone who knows what they're doing for the next round.

Tsportline offers some really nice upgrades, but they're extremely expensive (would be about 1/3 the value of the car) and require the car to be shipped to them (for me that's on the opposite side of the country) for an unspecified period of time. So that's not an option in a quickly depreciating car.

Regardless, looking forward to what I'm hoping will be a nice upgrade in my daily driver.

I'm working on the next phase of upgrading my Plaid's interior...gloss carbon trim and a gloss carbon/leather steering wheel. Let's face it, the stock interior sucks, so hopefully this will spruce it up a bit. I'll post pics as the upgrades are added.

I bought this car because it's very fast and has a usable rear seat. I traded my 2017 GT-R which didn't have enough space in the back for what I needed. The exterior is pretty good, handling and brakes are fine for street use, some of the tech is good (and some is really annoying), but the interior is really bad. Of my current cars (2022 X5M and 2017F-Type SVR are the others) the Plaid is a distant 3rd in interior quality, and pretty much every comparable car for sale has a better interior. In fact, of all of the cars that I've had over the last 25 years, only one was worse, a 2002 Chevy Silverado, which ironically I also upgraded with dash trim and a new steering wheel. Funny thing, though, the steering wheel replacement didn't go well and the horn kept going off when I hit bumps while driving around town. Anyway...

My Plaid came with the wood ( 🤮) and since it's not a 1970s Cadillac Sedan de Ville, the first thing I did was to get a carbon wrap. That helped, but some areas don't look right and it's just not the same as the real thing. My original yoke was peeling, so I had it replaced under warranty. I honestly hate the yoke, and tried to get them to replace it with a wheel, but they wouldn't. So I ordered a wheel from Tesla, but they're back-ordered 3 months. So I'm going aftermarket. So between the wheel and the trim, Tesla missed out on $2K of my hard-earned money. But hopefully after this I won't be embarrassed to have people in my car any more.

It seems the easy fix for Tesla's margin contraction is to actually sell the things people want. Luxury items are high-margin. Porsche makes a killing by offering endless options for interior upgrades. It also helps prop up the value of their cars. I know many people who like Tesla as a brand, but won't buy the cars because of the interiors. Even if Tesla offered a couple of different trims, including gloss carbon, piano black, and some leather upgrades, they'd sell well. Just think, a full leather option for $5K. It would get checked every time. Tesla should fire whoever designs their interiors and bring in someone who knows what they're doing for the next round.

Tsportline offers some really nice upgrades, but they're extremely expensive (would be about 1/3 the value of the car) and require the car to be shipped to them (for me that's on the opposite side of the country) for an unspecified period of time. So that's not an option in a quickly depreciating car.

Regardless, looking forward to what I'm hoping will be a nice upgrade in my daily driver.
I actually really like my Plaids interior. Me thinks you should have ordered the carbon fiber interior package originally like I did. But, it is fun to customize your vehicle to your own taste. Enjoy the experience! BTW, I went with this after market steering wheel from Secret EV.
1690081801618.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Plaidness
I actually really like my Plaids interior. Me thinks you should have ordered the carbon fiber interior package originally like I did. But, it is fun to customize your vehicle to your own taste. Enjoy the experience! BTW, I went with this after market steering wheel from Secret EV.
View attachment 958758
That wheel looks great, thanks for sharing. I ordered the gloss carbon one from Hansshow and the RPM Tesla gloss carbon pack. I do think those 2 things will make a big difference, although the overall interior quality is still far below BMW. I would have gotten the stock carbon trim for sure, but I didn't order it from the factory...I traded for a used one on the lot that was available, and it had wood. It was between the Plaid, an M8 GC, and a Taycan. But the Plaid was the the only one in the color combo I wanted, I didn't want to wait order a new one, and the test drive sold it, so I figured the trim would be easy enough to fix. I already had plans to put the wrap on before I drove it off the lot.

I do think Tesla needs to get this fixed quickly. Other manufacturers are closing the gap in performance...BMW is in late stages of development on a 4 motor 1300hp M car, which would be a very complete car out of the box, Porsche is working on a 3 motor setup, Jaguar is going all-in on EVs, Lucid seems to be figuring it out, etc. Right now, Tesla remains the only choice in the market with this level of performance, but that will change. I have a lot of friends who like Tesla, but won't buy them because of the interiors. If BMW made a car with similar performance, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
My last 6 cars were Porsches and BMWs. I don’t mind the Plaid interior at all. I kind of like it for its simpleness. My Panamera interior was too busy, the the leather always has a funky smell. Like the vegan leather and how easy it is to keep clean (mine is white)

My last 6 cars were Porsches and BMWs. I don’t mind the Plaid interior at all. I kind of like it for its simpleness. My Panamera interior was too busy, the the leather always has a funky smell. Like the vegan leather and how easy it is to keep clean (mine is white)
Yeah, I some people will prefer the vinyl, and that's fine, but at this price point, they should at least make leather available, especially when the vinyl is poor quality and is known for breaking down quickly. It really should be better at this price point.

Here's a comparison of the three. You can almost smell the first two. Personally, I like the leather smell more than the plasticky smell.

Attachments

• tempImagezWjWSm.png
    tempImagezWjWSm.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 121
  • tempImage06ked9.png
    tempImage06ked9.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 124
  • tempImageBT3mNm.png
    tempImageBT3mNm.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 127
I got the gloss carbon trim today from RPM Tesla and installed it. Install was very easy, the pieces are very nice and add a lot to the interior. Also because of the stiffness, it makes the center console feel more solid. This should 100% be a factory option from Tesla.

I'm still waiting on the steering wheel with gloss carbon and Nappa leather. That will be a much tougher install, but should make a huge difference. Here's a pic, although not very good lighting in my garage, so I'll take more tomorrow.

Attachments

• tempImagelJLdpa.png
    tempImagelJLdpa.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 134
I haven't sold my 12/2017 because the trade-in wasn't worth it, but I hated the woodgrain. Just got a long range and almost got a Plaid just for the CF until I found out you could do it aftermarket. Before you purchased, were you able to see the gloss and matte side-by side? I am looking at going for the matte to keep it closer to Tesla Plaid look, but wanted to know if you ever saw them in-person before purchasing.

I haven't sold my 12/2017 because the trade-in wasn't worth it, but I hated the woodgrain. Just got a long range and almost got a Plaid just for the CF until I found out you could do it aftermarket. Before you purchased, were you able to see the gloss and matte side-by side? I am looking at going for the matte to keep it closer to Tesla Plaid look, but wanted to know if you ever saw them in-person before purchasing.
I didn't see it in person, just the pics online on RPM Tesla and Tsportline.

Here are a couple of examples:

tesla-model-s-plaid-custom-ferrari-black-interior

Here are some more pics from today. I couldn't be happier with this upgrade...it fits perfectly, is very good quality, and looks and feels OEM. It definitely improves the feeling of quality in the interior. Looking forward to the steering wheel next.

Attachments

• IMG_7951.jpeg
    IMG_7951.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7954.jpeg
    IMG_7954.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7955.jpeg
    IMG_7955.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 111
Here are some more pics from today. I couldn't be happier with this upgrade...it fits perfectly, is very good quality, and looks and feels OEM. It definitely improves the feeling of quality in the interior. Looking forward to the steering wheel next.
My wife drives the 2022 BMW X5 and the interior puts Tesla to shame. I think the gloss Carbon Fiber makes up a lot of ground though. Much nicer looking than the Long Range options. I am definitely liking the yoke so far but it will also need a CF upgrade. Thanks for sharing.

I posted pics elsewhere, but I just wanted to follow-up on this post. The steering wheel and trim are in, and they make a huge difference in the feel of quality in the interior. Steering wheel installation wasn't the easiest, but I learned some things along the way.

The wheel is much easier to use IMO, looks much nicer than the yoke, feels great in the hand and gives more feeling of control. Low-speed maneuvering in particular is much better, and I feel a lot more confident in turns. And as a bonus, it covers the biggest weak point in the interior, where the steering tunnel meets the dash. The end result is an interior that looks and feels much more upscale.

I'm 100% happy with these changes and would never go back. Tesla should really offer some upgrades like this, but if rumors are true, they might be finally getting the memo and offer nicer trims.

IMG_8160.jpeg

Reactions: doodlewalker