Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It IS possible to charge at 24A from a 120V TT-30 plug...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
40 Amps at 112 Volts!

It seems that cars built fairly recently are capable of 40 amp charging on 120 volts. To test this, I temporarily wired my 6-50 outlet so one formerly hot side went to neutral instead of to the 50A breaker. I have the single charger, built March 2014, 85KWH. Don't try this unless you know what you are doing.
40amps.jpg

It seems that cars built fairly recently are capable of 40 amp charging on 120 volts. To test this, I temporarily wired my 6-50 outlet so one formerly hot side went to neutral instead of to the 50A breaker. I have the single charger, built March 2014, 85KWH. Don't try this unless you know what you are doing.

Awesome news that we will never see on the Toyota Rav4 EV.

20 amps is all we get on 120 volts.

Last edited:
Awesome news that we will never see on the Toyota Rav4 EV.

20 amps is all we get on 120 volts.

This is the same 20 Amp, 120 Volt limit on early MS's. That limit is less of a concern for me than the 90 kW Supercharging limit. I can count the number of times that I used a TT-30 on the fingers of one hand; for those few times, the difference between 20 and 24 Amps is not an issue. Arriving at a Supercharger with a small SoC is a much more common event!

Would you mind verifying that you have an A battery? Did your main pack need to be switched out at some point?

(Mods, Both of our posts prob. belong somewhere else :))

I wonder about that 90 kw limit. I supposedly have an "A" battery too, but this is what I got recently charging at a new 120 kW Supercharger recently - the numbers multiply to 100 kW...

Gawd - I thought I was losing my mind there for a while. I just checked my battery and it is a B battery, not an A. I was POSITIVE I had an A battery. So I hunted around, and found a photo I took about a year ago of the battery label. And sure enough it WAS an A battery. I went through all my Tesla service center paperwork (I have brought it in for a few things) and there is no mention of them swapping my battery, but obviously they did at some point.

So not only have I not lost my mind (yet), I have a newer battery. Yea! Good start to the day.

View attachment 50655

I'm very jealous
Back, a few weeks ago i was asking members how to pull the most amps of 120v lines
I ended up using TT-30 RV plug, but it's limited to 20A
I'd love to have 40 instead
:(

It may not be 40 or 80 amp but its better and the quicker you can get enough miles to move from slow to faster, maybe to a public charger or better yet a supercharger the happier everyone involved will be.

I suspect a firmware limitation rather than hardware. I know Tesla says that their updates also update firmware but maybe the charger isn't part of the automatic update system or tesla doesn't think the 20A limitation is a big enough deal to bother updating everyone.