Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla a Customer Focused Company?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was scheduled to pick up my new model Y. About an hour before my time slot, I receive a call from the dealer. They crashed my car into a wall while washing it. I said okay, get me an identical car and things are good. I know they have identical cars in the area because I was online just before I went to the dealer and saw several of them. BTW - all the identical cars on the website this morning in the area had different pricing on them and they were all higher than the price I was contracted to pay. Their response was that they could get me a car, but I would have to pay $4K more for the car. Keep in mind, the car they wanted to sell me after they crashed my car was identical in every way to the car I was contracted to purchase. Both cars were brand new, and both cars had just arrived at the dealership. They told me they couldn't give me the other car at the same price because the price is tied to the VIN. The person on the phone was apologetic and admitted that it seems crazy they couldn't just give me the other car at the same price. The Tesla rep said she would try to get with her manager to see what they could do. She did tell me that she probably couldn't get back to me until Monday. After spending the entire day driving to the dealership and back to my house (I live several hours from the dealership), I decided I no longer have much faith in how Tesla does business. I figured their employees are not empowered to make what should be obvious decisions to keep their customers happy. I decided to cancel my order and I sent in my text message asking to cancel it. The response back was that I could cancel it, but I wold lose my $250 deposit. I responded back with the story about my car being crashed. They responded back and said a company rep would be in contact with me.

The other thing that concerns me is how Tesla prices their identical cars. Before I settled on the car I was going to purchase today, I purchased the same car a week earlier. I was told I could pick up the car 3-7 days from the day I made the purchase. That day, I did all my paper work on the app and then received a message saying I could schedule the pick up of my new car. I went to schedule the appointment and the only day I was allowed to schedule the appointment was that very same day. I called Tesla and explained I couldn't get to the dealership where the car was located that day and that I was told, when I bought it, that I couldn't pick it up for several days. The day I bought it happened to be the last day of September. The Tesla phone rep told me if I didn't pick it up that day that I would lose my $250 deposit and I could no longer have that price. I told her to cancel the order and that I would fight to get my $250 back because it was deceptive to tell me I couldn't pick up the car for several days, then only several hours later tell me that I had to pick it up that day. The lady on the phone canceled the car and basically told me I could contact a manager to get my $250 back. About 5:30 the same evening, I received a call from the dealership and they said I could still do the deal and pick up the car later that week. I agreed to that. A couple days later, I go on the website and see 5 identical cars for up to $2500 less than what I was contracted to pay. All 5 identical cars had different pricing on them. I called Tesla and asked if they could give me the car I was contracted on at the lowest price they had on the website. They said yes, but I would have to switch dealerships and the VIN would also change. Okay, that seems weird, but I did it. This was the car they crashed today.

Is this stuff normal for Tesla?
What's their aftermarket service like?
If things are this weird now, what's going to happen if I have a warranty issue?

It sure makes me feel uneasy about doing business with them. I've never had a car buying experience like this before and it feels like I'm dealing with a budget used car lot and a salesman in a plaid suit.

Tl;Dr but the short answer is no.

Yes, this is the answer to the question in the thread title. To be fair, individual people inside Tesla can provide good, or even great customer service, but the question isnt individual people. The thread question is " Is Tesla a customer focused company?" and the full and complete "mic drop" answer is "NO".

Is this stuff normal for Tesla?
Remember, Tesla is not a traditional dealer so what you have experienced in Tesla world.
What's their aftermarket service like?
If things are this weird now, what's going to happen if I have a warranty issue?
If your Tesla is crooked, they promise that you just need to pay, take it home, and Tesla Service would take care of the problems.

When you book a Service Center, it might say everything is within specs and there's no need to fix the crookedness, or fixing it might get it worse.

It sure makes me feel uneasy about doing business with them. I've never had a car buying experience like this before and it feels like I'm dealing with a budget used car lot and a salesman in a plaid suit.
Why do you think Tesla took away your radar and ultrasonic sensors from you?

It’s always funny to read “no dealers, no salesman” but they act the same way. Only thing you don’t deal with is the haggling on prices, for that you better pray there are no price increases.

The amount of text I get monthly from SR is hilarious

Reactions: BayAreaCelt
I’ve had issues with my first two cars. But those were covered under warranty and even goodwill (first Model S). On those earlier cars, which were more prone to mechanical problems, I’ve also had some cases where the warranty had expired and goodwill was no longer an option (headlight, MCU1, a rattle). I just accepted that the cars were out of warranty and that I had to pay for it. I read a lot about people getting all worked up and starting a battle with Tesla because they think out-of-warranty repairs should still be free. I don’t understand that. It’s unproductive and unhealthy.

Update: I happy to say Tesla made things right today. Tesla finally told me today they would honor the original deal we had on a new car with a new VIN. The Tesla person helping me through this has been very nice. She said it takes several signatures within Tesla to change the price on a car. This is why it took so long for them to make this situation right. I'm happy they honored their original deal after crashing the first car into a wall.

Update: I happy to say Tesla made things right today. Tesla finally told me today they would honor the original deal we had on a new car with a new VIN. The Tesla person helping me through this has been very nice. She said it takes several signatures within Tesla to change the price on a car. This is why it took so long for them to make this situation right. I'm happy they honored their original deal after crashing the first car into a wall.
Oh man! That's awesome ... win win.

Update: Tesla called back, and now they will not extend the original price on a new car to replace the car they crashed before they could deliver it to me. They want to charge me over $3K more than the price I had contracted with them originally. Crazy!
First they said no, then they said yes. Now they're saying no. Who is "they"? Is this via text in the app, emails or phone call or in person?

All with phone calls from one person with the last phone call coming from her manager. Initially they said they couldn't do anything the day they crashed the car. A few days later, they scheduled me with a new car (new VIN) to be delivered on Oct 21st with the original contracted price. A couple days later (today), the manager calls and says they can't do that and we are now cancelling the complete order. No Tesla for me :). My buddy had a great experience with Rivian, that's probably the direction I'm headed.

All with phone calls from one person with the last phone call coming from her manager. Initially they said they couldn't do anything the day they crashed the car. A few days later, they scheduled me with a new car (new VIN) to be delivered on Oct 21st with the original contracted price. A couple days later (today), the manager calls and says they can't do that and we are now cancelling the complete order. No Tesla for me :). My buddy had a great experience with Rivian, that's probably the direction I'm headed.
Good luck with your Rivian. Hope it makes you happy. Granted no place to service or charge it but for the extra cost you’ll be happy. Congrats.

More reliable and longer actual range anyways...

The answer is and has been for many, no, Tesla is not a customer focused company. Take the updates process, sometimes changing things like location of function, without listening to customers. Who would you even reach out to?

Windscreen wiper rain sensors. A cheap Bosch sensor away from greatness, like every other luxury brand, instead, the sh1t show of neural net auto functionality.

Removing cheap ultrasonic sensors that even cheap cars have, and yep you guessed it, same, even cheap brands have overhead surround camera and accurate proximity parking assistance. Wavy lines anyone?

The list is very, very long. An occasional Elon flourish to a direct tweet (remember that used to be a company?) Asking for something is not the same as a PR or customer service department.

Imagine paying the roadster in advance for years, or the cybertruck, three years after promised delivery...

Tesla fanbois are overly forgiving. I partially understand but with the mass market, many won't and shouldn't.