Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it illegal to speed to the speed limit from the traffic lights when the signal turns green?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still, after 2 years, getting used to how easy it is to pass other vehicles under most any circumstance, and safely, without having to "floor it". The difference in acceleration between our S and any ICE car I have ever driven is ridiculous. And the handling will cope with any acceleration I am prepared to apply. My limitations are governed by my analysis of what I am ready to cope with safely. Realizing what those limitations are is a primary consideration. Also taking into consideration what the police will allow.
I also should be ashamed to admit, I suppose, that I have still not moved from sport to insane mode on any regular basis - very rarely as a matter of fact. I try to convince myself that I am saving it up as yet another component of this car like an unopened Christmas present while actually wondering if I am ready to cope with that added potential.
Not actually addressing the issues in this thread I suppose but maybe somewhat relevant?

I'm still, after 2 years, getting used to how easy it is to pass other vehicles under most any circumstance, and safely, without having to "floor it". The difference in acceleration between our S and any ICE car I have ever driven is ridiculous. And the handling will cope with any acceleration I am prepared to apply. My limitations are governed by my analysis of what I am ready to cope with safely. Realizing what those limitations are is a primary consideration. Also taking into consideration what the police will allow.
I also should be ashamed to admit, I suppose, that I have still not moved from sport to insane mode on any regular basis - very rarely as a matter of fact. I try to convince myself that I am saving it up as yet another component of this car like an unopened Christmas present while actually wondering if I am ready to cope with that added potential.
Not actually addressing the issues in this thread I suppose but maybe somewhat relevant?
Christmas is coming up SOON. :)

Reactions: EatsShoots
I think as long as you make sure to give up the overtake as soon as you notice the car next to you trying to race you would be mostly safe.

Stay neck and neck too long, and all of a sudden you're "street racing" or potentially some other "anti-hoon" law.

In the States, what you described can be interpreted as any of the following:

• Reckless Driving
  • Careless Driving
  • Racing (especially if there is a car next to you at the time)

Also "Unsafe Start". My take on this question is - in every country where there are traffic laws, there's *some* law the police can use to pull you over for hard acceleration from a standstill.

It doesn't really matter... the reality is that the police are in a position of authority, so they can just pull you over because they don't like how you're driving and give you a ticket for anything... but almost guaranteed there's a law on the books for flooring the pedal.

I was just about to ask why there are so many responses from outside of the country of the original poster, including people posting links to US laws that are likely not relevant to this OPs question in their country.

Not like I know any different either, but questions like this are best answered by people familiar with laws in the country in question. One doesnt have to reside in a country to be familiar with its laws, but (for example ) even in the US, some laws are state specific.

Im guessing the answer to "why so many responses from outside the country" is simply because this thread showed up, and people clicked on it to respond and didnt really look to see it was posted by someone outside their own country.

Im guessing the answer to "why so many responses from outside the country" is simply because this thread showed up, and people clicked on it to respond and didnt really look to see it was posted by someone outside their own country.

But also... it's still planet earth. Spit near a police officer's feet and there'll be some law that will get you into trouble.

Flooring it from a standstill at a light with an officer around is going to get you into trouble, doesn't matter what country.

Injecting some actual laws into the debate, in the ACT it is an offence under Section 5A of the Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) Act 1999 to
organise, promote or otherwise take part in:
  1. a race between vehicles;
  2. an attempt to break a vehicle’s speed record;
  3. a trial of maximum speed or acceleration; or
  4. a competitive trial to test the skill of a driver, the reliability or mechanical conditions of a vehicle.
Testing out your Tesla's 0 to 60 speeds at a suburban traffic light arguably qualifies for #3, plus #1 and maybe #4 if it can be construed as a race against another car. Or they could just nail you under the catch-all Sec 7 for "driving recklessly, or at a speed or in a way that is dangerous to the public, on a road".

Obviously the wording here is for the ACT, but every state will have slight variations of the same basic laws.

But also... it's still planet earth. Spit near a police officer's feet and there'll be some law that will get you into trouble.

Flooring it from a standstill at a light with an officer around is going to get you into trouble, doesn't matter what country.
Maybe you could let Elon know it’s planet earth and ask if Australia can have model S, model X, cybertruck, and FSD

When I was a kid, the local police would write "unsafe start" on the ticket :D despite what they said, none of the starts were ever truly unsafe as most of my cars had more bark than bite lol

I will say, despite still REALLY enjoying the sound of an ICE engine... spirited driving in silence is pretty wild. Shortly after getting my M3P, I was cruising down a 3 lane highway and gave it the beans right in front of a cop who was looking for speeders near a cars and coffee event. Despite the car firmly planting me into the back of my seat, the cop didn't even notice me. Sneaky sneaky

In Tennessee racing to the next light can and has been called by cops. And if you press it and try to go to court saying you were accelerating “safely” versus the cop saying you were accelerating recklessly. I would not want those odds if I were not the cop.

In Tennessee racing to the next light can and has been called by cops. And if you press it and try to go to court saying you were accelerating “safely” versus the cop saying you were accelerating recklessly. I would not want those odds if I were not the cop.

Just a reminder that this is in the Australia forum.

As far as my brief searches returned, in Australia, and in NSW specifically here, there are not any specific "demonstration of speed" laws so this could only be charged under more general "hoon" laws.

I was just about to ask why there are so many responses from outside of the country of the original poster, including people posting links to US laws that are likely not relevant to this OPs question in their country.

Not like I know any different either, but questions like this are best answered by people familiar with laws in the country in question. One doesnt have to reside in a country to be familiar with its laws, but (for example ) even in the US, some laws are state specific.

It's a question relevant to driving an EV anywhere. The cars launch so hard . . . tough to resist.

Just a reminder that this is in the Australia forum.

As far as my brief searches returned, in Australia, and in NSW specifically here, there are not any specific "demonstration of speed" laws so this could only be charged under more general "hoon" laws.
The relevant law would be found here,
Screenshot_20231207-074029.png

Screenshot_20231207-074100.png

It might be argued that you are performing a speed trial on a public road. How fast it takes to get to certain speed.
Screenshot_20231207-074139.png

Or more broadly 'drive on a road furiously, recklessly in a manner dangerous to the public'.