Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it illegal to speed to the speed limit from the traffic lights when the signal turns green?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Say there is this car that is too slow for the speed limit, in front of me. So when approaching the signal I switch to an empty lane.

When the light turns green, I check for safety (making sure no cars from other sides of the junction are come in) and then if I speed quickly to the speed limit is it illegal?

Will I be pulled over if a cop car sees this?

It's not illegal when on a multi lane road. But my question mainly was about accelerating quickly to speed limit regardless of whether I'm overtaking or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-05-20-34-21-47_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-05-20-34-21-47_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 51
To be dangerous driving it has to be dangerous, so the onus is on the police to demonstrate that. So for example accelerating so hard that you have to brake to achieve 60 and to avoid rear ending someone might be considered dangerous. Accelerating to 60 so fast that it spins the wheels can be considered hoon driving in SA resulting in forfeiture and crushing of the car. But accelerating quickly in itself has no prescribed limit until you reach the posted speed limit.

So if my lane is empty in front of me and I accelerate to 60 on a 60 zone without having to brake, it's not considered dangerous driving. Am I right?
Depends on whether the car you dragged off is an unmarked police car or not....😉

Straight answer: it's probably subjective but I suspect magistrates would back up police if it comes to that. I have floored my MYLR quite a few times to break free of traffic (or sometimes just cos it can) but typically from a rolling start e.g 30/40 to 70/80 on good divided roads or 60-100 at the start of the (melb) Eastern freeway. Great feeling and possibly less risky from a police point of view than at lights, and easier on the tyres and drivetrain (I think). Got to have some fun in our lives.

"Dangerous" driving isn't really the charge (wording may differ state to state). Typically it's called "Reckless" driving.
And the cop would have to give reason why your legal acceleration to the limit (it's a limit for a reason, they would have to prove you went over if that were their claim.) was in a "reckless" way.
-Did you do it to get ahead of another can and then cut them off? (like a swoop and squat)
-Was there a walkway with pedestrians nearby?
So there are ways the cop could justify a ticket that a judge would indeed side with them.
But your cameras could negate those claims if it came to it.

I guess it's just a matter of your level of risk and knowledge of your local laws.

That's what I'm worried about. How do you decide what's dangerous driving! Can they book me for just "feeling" it's dangerous coz I sped up fast?
I was written an "Excessive Acceleration" ticket in my 67 GTO back in high school. Never broke the speed limit Different in different states. I also accelerate quickly in the MYP from lights and so far no police have pulled me over.

They also will write for "Breaking Traction" something Tesla's are Very adept at avoiding while still accelerating quickly.

We also have Inattentive and reckless driving along with a "Prudent" driving clause in the laws.

Some judges are more easy going than others . We were in Court and a sheriff wrote a jet ski rider a ticket for jumping a boat wake as reckless driving on the lake. The judge said I thought that was what people bought jet skis for and told the officer not to waste the court or the jet ski owners time and threw out the ticket.

Last edited:
Accelerating quickly even if not speeding can be interpreted as dangerous driving if a cop is bored, I think under "display of speed".

With that said my 2 minute google could not find the infraction. "Exhibition of speed" doesn't count, because that involves dangerous speeds.

I was written an "Excessive Acceleration" ticket in my 67 GTO back in high school. Never broke the speed limit Different in different states. I also accelerate quickly in the MYP from lights and so far no police have pulled me over.

They also will write for "Breaking Traction" something Tesla's are Very adept at avoiding while still accelerating quickly.

We also have Inattentive and reckless driving along with a "Prudent" driving clause in the laws.

Some judges are more easy going than others . We were in Court and a sheriff wrote a jet ski rider a ticket for jumping a boat wake as reckless driving on the lake. The judge said I thought that was what people bought jet skis for and told the officer not to waste the court or the jet ski owners time and threw out the ticket.
I'd say the sound of your '67 GTO taking off got you that ticket. 😁
Silent (mostly) Teslas just aren't noticed as much unless the cop is really paying attention, and just needs to fill his quota.

• Funny
Reactions: 455dan and ATPMSD
Motorcycles do it all the time. A friend who rides says they lane split then take off fast to get in front of slower cars as it’s safer.
Could probably use that safety line (but not the lane splitting)
On suburban roads it’s perfectly fine to overtake on the left (in SA they have signs on highways that suggest keeping left unless overtaking) but I think they are being phased out (probably a new fine you can get pinged with so reminding you is counter productive.)
Cops probably have other things to worry about so unless you are being an idiot they might not care. YMMV.

Motorcycles do it all the time. A friend who rides says they lane split then take off fast to get in front of slower cars as it’s safer.
Could probably use that safety line (but not the lane splitting)
On suburban roads it’s perfectly fine to overtake on the left (in SA they have signs on highways that suggest keeping left unless overtaking) but I think they are being phased out (probably a new fine you can get pinged with so reminding you is counter productive.)
Cops probably have other things to worry about so unless you are being an idiot they might not care. YMMV.
Fast/Slow lane rules only apply on roads where there aren't both turn options (left and right), i.e. interstate highways (exits only on one side).
It's just as dangerous to get a tailgater on your ass because they think you should get in the "slow" lane , when you're about to turn.
Not that tailgating is any safer on the interstate.
So annoying how many bad drivers don't know the laws.

Fast/Slow lane rules only apply on roads where there aren't both turn options (left and right), i.e. interstate highways (exits only on one side).
It's just as dangerous to get a tailgater on your ass because they think you should get in the "slow" lane , when you're about to turn.
Not that tailgating is any safer on the interstate.
So annoying how many bad drivers don't know the laws.
I kinda agree but also note that you are in USA where the rules are probably different and you drive on the other side of the road?

Reactions: johnchidgey