Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AP2 worth $10k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buying my first S. Found a couple 2016 90D with the facelift for sale, both qualify for free supercharging.

One has AP1 for 60k
The other has AP2 for 70k.

Pretty much same mileage, 25k. I plan on keeping this car for 3-5 years and can't for the life of me figure out if the AP2 is worth the additional 10k.

Thoughts?

Reactions: darxsys
This is a good question and kinda in the same thought process as you. As long as AP1 can drive on the I-95 & the NJ Turnpike, I am happy camper, but if one day soon (3-5 years) I can literally touch the wheel or anything, that would be great to move on to AP2.

I'd say probably not. Save the $10k. Put $5k away to self-insure against future repairs, or buy the Extended Service Plan for $4500 as insurance. If you put $5k into TSLA today, imagine what that will be worth in 3 to 5 years or 2024 when the ESA would end.

I have an AP1 car and it's great, especially TACC.

In 3-5 years, sell it and upgrade to AP4.x or whatever it is then.

AP2 isn't worth 10k....

BUT

If you sell in 3-4 years then there will still be some premium, so your true price is much less than 10k. If you believe you can sell the AP2 car for an 8-9k premium in 3-4 years, it MIGHT be worth it considering the expected AP2 improvements..

Reactions: Vitold
AP2 without FSD is just a bit better than AP1. Unless the car already comes with FSD, it means additional $5k on top of the price of the car to get full potential of the hardware. So, total is $15k more.
However, when you sell the car later on, you will likely recoup some of the costs back.

Yeah, I have both and without spending a good amount of time with each I think you as a new owner would have difficulty differentiating between the two based on how they drive. RIGHT NOW I would even say that AP1 is more solid. I just drove the AP2 car on a 500 mile trip and realized about 400 miles into the trip that I had not used AP at all (guess I dont like it very much), but had used TACC 90% of the trip (which I DO like a lot). In the future AP2 has more potential but $10k worth? Probably not.

I agree with all the advice you have been given. If the AP2 car comes with FSD then I might think about it but if it does not come with FSD then you are talking about a $15K difference and it is not worth $15K. Put that $10-15K in savings towards Tesla stock or sit on it to put towards the latest and greatest Tesla in 4 years.

AP2 at the moment is about same parity as AP1 so if you are planning on keeping vehicle longer and lane holding , TACC and normal autopilot aren't good enough for you then AP2 is the one to go for. In the future it will be able to do more advanced summon, recognise more things on the road, auto lane changing. It won't however be capable of full self driving as the hardware needs to be upgraded to 2.5 which isn't possible.

BTW I have a AP1 car and the autopilot is solid and drives great so I have no complaints

I don't think this is right. AP2 will support the AP3 computer. The cameras are identical except for the color filter. I don't think they'll require a replacement, but if they do, it's the same wiring harness as AP2.5. Tesla also has not differentiated between 2.0 and 2.5 variants when describing FSD to end-users. I'm not opining on whether FSD is possible with current hardware, but if it is possible for 2.5 cars, it will be possible for 2.0 cars.

Have those of you recommending AP1 actually driven an AP2 car recently? The functionality has grown in leaps and bounds since it was first released. AP2 cars have the 360 traffic visualization, blind spot warning, etc. that AP1 will never have. Can AP1 even do Navigate on Autopliot? Currently my car AP2 car can take highway interchanges and exits automatically and change lanes automatically with just a quick confirmation. AP1 cars will never be able to do that. Since AP2 cars can be upgraded to the AP3 processor, they will be able to drive autonomously with FSD aeventually. AP1 will never get any new features like that. If you want a car that you'll want to be cutting edge for the next few years, then I would definitely recommend AP2

AP1 is ok for today but is already old news. AP2+ will be good and keep getting better for years to come. We sold our AP1 car because it can't and will never compare to AP2 or later technology.

Have those of you recommending AP1 actually driven an AP2 car recently? The functionality has grown in leaps and bounds since it was first released. AP2 cars have the 360 traffic visualization, blind spot warning, etc. that AP1 will never have. Can AP1 even do Navigate on Autopliot? Currently my car AP2 car can take highway interchanges and exits automatically and change lanes automatically with just a quick confirmation. AP1 cars will never be able to do that. Since AP2 cars can be upgraded to the AP3 processor, they will be able to drive autonomously with FSD aeventually. AP1 will never get any new features like that. If you want a car that you'll want to be cutting edge for the next few years, then I would definitely recommend AP2

AP1 is ok for today but is already old news. AP2+ will be good and keep getting better for years to come. We sold our AP1 car because it can't and will never compare to AP2 or later technology.

I have AP1 and AP2.

Certainly the ceiling of AP2 is much higher than the ceiling of AP1. But OP is talking about owning the car for 3-5 years. Is AP2 for 3-5 years $10k better than AP1? Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Driving AP1 after driving AP2 doesn't feel even mildly lacking or inconvenient. Until EAP provides actual L3 self driving, I think its utility over AP1 is marginal. Yes, FSD will be a huge difference, but who knows when that's coming, and when it does it will be a $15k+ price difference, not $10k, because you have to buy that separately.

Basically, I agree with what you're saying but I'm less convinced that it translates into $10k+ of value.

Another thing to remember about the cheaper AP1 car is that it possibly has the battery degradation problem that earlier 90 kWh batteries were prone to. Later 90 kWh cars with AP2 have a newer model battery that doesn't have the degradation issue.

Another thing to remember about the cheaper AP1 car is that it possibly has the battery degradation problem that earlier 90 kWh batteries were prone to. Later 90 kWh cars with AP2 have a newer model battery that doesn't have the degradation issue.
check with other model s with new fascia 90D. They all have the degradation problem. The only real solution is they give you a 100KWh pack and software limit you to 90KWh.