Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else unhappy with the way this forum has been re-organized?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NedH

Feb 27, 2019
GA
The moderators are now sticking almost everything into Master Threads. The worst one is:
MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

That Master Thread contains threads about seat positions, reduced regeneration, battery life, TACC speeds, screen crashes, etc. Most of which aren't really 40.50.x issues. This new organization that throws so many different posts into one large pot is not very useful to those of us who have a particular issue. Seems like a poor way to organize things.

Granted there are so many posts about hundreds of different issues it's hard to organize forums that work for everyone. But I don't see how the latest categorization can be helpful to anyone except those who like to and have the time to read about everything.

Maybe if enough of us are unhappy, things will change. If not I'll sulk quietly.

I’ve never read them either and guess will have to start. The problem I have is that reading those threads means you need to know the answer before you start, that the issue is in that thread.

For example, my topic right now is that the passenger airbag warning is now there all the time. So where is that? In the 2019.40.50.x thread? Maybe...

Edit to fix DYAC errors.

Last edited:
Off topic threads are going to happen no matter how the forum is organized. That's just how forums work, particularly so for forums that attract generally older crowds that aren't accustomed to how a forum is designed to work. If you ever want to feel better about this forum, go take a look at the official Model 3 forum. It's basically a huge cluster of high school drama with entire threads dedicated to talking *sugar* about users that other users have deemed trolls.

Edit: Haha *sugar,* gotta love that automatic censorship.

Last edited:
Deft and light handed moderating can be beneficial but I don’t think that includes catch all cleanup.

In general I’m in favor of relocating *threads* into a more appropriate category, and not in favor of dismantling a thread. Maybe we would benefit from a more finely grained category structure?

Edit: example... may I suggest that moderators create a separate category for each specific release? Yes, this would be a lot of categories, but the issues discussed are often unique to that single release.

I agree. There needs to be a balance between a zillion threads on the same thing and these mega threads.

One unfortunate thing I find is the split by Model. The same discusses with no sharing of info happens in each forum.

For example battery and charging should be one subforum. They are more the same than different.

Off topic threads are going to happen no matter how the forum is organized. That's just how forums work, particularly so for forums that attract generally older crowds that aren't accustomed to how a forum is designed to work. If you ever want to feel better about this forum, go take a look at the official Model 3 forum. It's basically a huge cluster of high school drama with entire threads dedicated to talking *sugar* about users that other users have deemed trolls.

Edit: Haha *sugar,* gotta love that automatic censorship.
Huh. Never knew it was automatic. Thanks for the trivia of the day! Always thought it was a convention people used on TMC.

Still say master threads are way too long and hard to stay current. Software at Tesla.com is useless also, but no reason to go down that rabbit hole. Only good for google searches. :D

I agree. There needs to be a balance between a zillion threads on the same thing and these mega threads.

One unfortunate thing I find is the split by Model. The same discusses with no sharing of info happens in each forum.

For example battery and charging should be one subforum. They are more the same than different.
This has been requested for ages but people still post in their home forum. For also ages the main forum was the S, so X owners needed to watch both. Now the 3 by volume is the default so X owners may need to watch everything. Arg! :D

I agree. I have created a couple of recent threads and had them immediately moved to a master thread. I had trouble even finding my thread. Also very few reviews and even fewer responses.

I don’t dig through all of the master threads. I mainly look at the Most Recent Threads.

The moderators are now sticking almost everything into Master Threads. The worst one is:
MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

That Master Thread contains threads about seat positions, reduced regeneration, battery life, TACC speeds, screen crashes, etc. Most of which aren't really 40.50.x issues. This new organization that throws so many different posts into one large pot is not very useful to those of us who have a particular issue. Seems like a poor way to organize things.

Granted there are so many posts about hundreds of different issues it's hard to organize forums that work for everyone. But I don't see how the latest categorization can be helpful to anyone except those who like to and have the time to read about everything.

Maybe if enough of us are unhappy, things will change. If not I'll sulk quietly.
Please no complaints without listing a clear option on how to make it better.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Please no complaints without listing a clear option on how to make it better.

Isn't it obvious? Allow posts and threads to stand on their own. It doesn't matter whether "that question has been answered before, many times!" or not. Encourage the usage of the search function (maybe improve it), but allow people to ask questions and get direct answers rather than forcing them to sift through a bunch of posts to see if they can find an answer that *might* fit the question or issue they have.

Master threads would only work if they were curated or the content was mined to copy to a read only reference thread. The resources don’t exist, I’m quite sure. Even the firmware master thread (a great idea) is behind, doesn’t even include any of the 40.50’s.