Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X (w/ MCU2) suspension/axle/wheel noises after repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model X (late year model with MCU2) had significant suspension work done in May 2023 by Tesla under the extended warranty I had in place.

As part of those repairs they did the following:
- Links - Front Suspension - Lower - Aft - LH/RH (Remove and Replace)
- Links - Fore - Lower - Front - LH/RH (Remove and Replace)
- Control Arm - Upper - Front - Pair (Remove and Replace)
- Link - Suspension - Rear - Upper - Pair (Remove and Replace)
- Integral Link - Rear - LH (Remove and Replace)
- Integral Link - Rear - RH (Remove and Replace)
- Four Wheel Alignment Check and Adjust

Prior to those repairs, the suspension of the car creaked and made all sorts of noises. Which I know is a common problem and widely discussed on these forums.

Unfortunately, this seems to have happened again just ~ 4 months later. But, the noises are a little different this time around. They sound much more rotational and as if something is grinding/rubbing very faintly with each axle or wheel rotation, and there's also something that almost sounds like an air hose or whirring if that makes sense. It recently started creaking/screaching when slowly stopping which is unfortunately similar to what it sounded like before the above repairs.

Anyone have any suggestions? The biggest challenges for me are 1. I live very far from a Service Center....3.5 hour drive each way, so taking it in is not easy and requires missing work. 2. My extended service agreement is expired, and despite only being 4 months since those suspension repairs were made, I've put 10,000+ more miles on the car since the repairs due to a big summer trip to the PNW.

The mobile tech for me that I have a good relationship with says he would be really surprised if any of those repairs failed this quickly and that they are usually pretty reliable for the Model X.

Really was hoping it was something stuck in the axle or wheels but I've pressure washed out everything and dont see anything myself and it hasn't made a difference.

Really getting frustrated with these suspension issues (never mind every thing else over the past 5 years)

My 2018 Model X (late year model with MCU2) had significant suspension work done in May 2023 by Tesla under the extended warranty I had in place.

As part of those repairs they did the following:
- Links - Front Suspension - Lower - Aft - LH/RH (Remove and Replace)
- Links - Fore - Lower - Front - LH/RH (Remove and Replace)
- Control Arm - Upper - Front - Pair (Remove and Replace)
- Link - Suspension - Rear - Upper - Pair (Remove and Replace)
- Integral Link - Rear - LH (Remove and Replace)
- Integral Link - Rear - RH (Remove and Replace)
- Four Wheel Alignment Check and Adjust

Prior to those repairs, the suspension of the car creaked and made all sorts of noises. Which I know is a common problem and widely discussed on these forums.

Unfortunately, this seems to have happened again just ~ 4 months later. But, the noises are a little different this time around. They sound much more rotational and as if something is grinding/rubbing very faintly with each axle or wheel rotation, and there's also something that almost sounds like an air hose or whirring if that makes sense. It recently started creaking/screaching when slowly stopping which is unfortunately similar to what it sounded like before the above repairs.

Anyone have any suggestions? The biggest challenges for me are 1. I live very far from a Service Center....3.5 hour drive each way, so taking it in is not easy and requires missing work. 2. My extended service agreement is expired, and despite only being 4 months since those suspension repairs were made, I've put 10,000+ more miles on the car since the repairs due to a big summer trip to the PNW.

The mobile tech for me that I have a good relationship with says he would be really surprised if any of those repairs failed this quickly and that they are usually pretty reliable for the Model X.

Really was hoping it was something stuck in the axle or wheels but I've pressure washed out everything and dont see anything myself and it hasn't made a difference.

Really getting frustrated with these suspension issues (never mind every thing else over the past 5 years)
the noise is from the metal break disk protection that is on inside of the disk. i have this problem on my 2017 and the noise is strongar on my 2020 one. i buyed new from tesla, small change but still there. i ordered an aftermarket part, somtimes they are better, i will let you know if it will fix that.