Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 37 more miles worth $13,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Others: OMG you have a TESLA?! You must be rich!!
"No, I'm so poor I can't afford gas".

After much debate, it's now down to this:

S70D vs. S90D.

For me: if I get the 90D, I would also get the tow package. Because ... 'Merica.

But let's be honest. I'm not getting into my $90k SUV after a day on the river with the jet skis... because... no. River water. Mud. No. Just. No.

so, for the $13,000 + Tow package difference. I think I can do without the 37 miles. 200 miles of 90% range should be just fine by me, and my 0-60 is .5 slower than my current S85 (I'm not worried).

That $13 or 15k can keep my Tahoe or Mazda running another 5 years, and me happy by realizing I'm not going to tow with this thing anyway... even though it's so cool.

But, then the debate drifts to:

1. I can almost sort of kind of, almost ish afford a NEW 70D w/the options I want. If I squint really hard and sell a limb or two.

OR

2. wait another 2 years and get a 90D used and the same price. because for us willing to buy used... depreciation is AMAZING.

So let's just throw that into the 37 miles situation :)

How long do you plan on driving this car ? Long time ?

Good answer. What will the range on your 70 be 5 years from now ? How about 10 years from now ? Answer no one really knows for sure.

How much is your range on a cold winter day when the roads are covered with ice and snow and the OAT is below zero ?

How many people bought 60's 3 years ago and now wish they had bought an 85 instead ?

The price difference is really 10k because I would never skip the air suspension anyway, so yes 90D is the only way to go.

I like air on the S, because of it's (lack of) ground clearance. I'm not sure on an SUV I need it...

5 years? An American keep a car?! LOL. we can barely keep them the life of the loan.
What if they make a 100 kWh battery at 1/2 the price of the now 90? you'd lose less $ buying the 70 if you end up with the 100 in 5 years...
Most likely not going to happen, but you see my point. The tech is getting cheaper, faster than anyone ever could have predicted, and it's awesome. so in 5 years of using my 70D. I'm likely to move on. To what? Who knows, it doesn't exist yet :)

I'm having the same problem, happy with my 60 model s no problem wth 180 miles do not comute. Keep my cars usually 10 plus years, but wonder weather to get the 70 or the 90 model X. For me it is not just the $13,000 it is looking down the road at value and if there will be a 100 or higher if I have a 90 I will not feel so bad vs a 70. Do not intend to tow anything very far so the additional miles is not a concern. At this time I'm leaning toward the 90, if I'm willing to spend $97,000 why not $110,000. Both numbers are crazy and at this point in my life not sure it matters all that much.

Last edited:
Definitely depends on your usage, budget, and how you prioritize things. For us, we'd be taking the MX on longish road trips. Considering the recent extreme Tejon Ranch congestion event, I'm up for as much range as possible. No, it wouldn't solve that particular issue, but having the ability to skip some Superchargers definitely would limit exposure to those types of events.

If you're not road tripping, or only rarely doing so, I can see where the decision would be tougher.

The price difference is really 10k because I would never skip the air suspension anyway, so yes 90D is the only way to go.

Still $13k from everything I've read. If you didn't order air on the 70D it'd be a little over $15k difference; $13k is the difference between a 70 and a 90 on the Model S, too (no 85 option on the X.)
Walter

2. wait another 2 years and get a 90D used and the same price. because for us willing to buy used... depreciation is AMAZING.

Yeah, this is the boat I'm in. I've ordered a 70D, but I know that it's not the frugal choice. I think I will enjoy my first two years of X ownership, and I think it's worth buying new, but given the quality of Tesla's CPO program, it really isn't the most financially savvy choice. I'm okay splurging on this luxury for myself given that I've waited 3 years.

Although I'd love the 90D, I'm just not able to pay the extra $311 every month for a small amount of extra range that I might only use a few times per year. The 70D is a significant savings, and even if I get stranded a few times and have to wait an hour at a public charger to limp to the next supercharger, that's probably still worth $17k.

Yeah, this is the boat I'm in. I've ordered a 70D, but I know that it's not the frugal choice. I think I will enjoy my first two years of X ownership, and I think it's worth buying new, but given the quality of Tesla's CPO program, it really isn't the most financially savvy choice. I'm okay splurging on this luxury for myself given that I've waited 3 years.

Although I'd love the 90D, I'm just not able to pay the extra $311 every month for a small amount of extra range that I might only use a few times per year. The 70D is a significant savings, and even if I get stranded a few times and have to wait an hour at a public charger to limp to the next supercharger, that's probably still worth $17k.

im with you there. For the longest time I though I was going for the 90D but I also told myself if the range on the 70 comes in around 220 or more I'll be happy with a 70. I'm curious what options you ordered on your 70D? Also, does anyone know at what percentage supercharger speeds slow down? Is it once charged to 80% or 90%? How fast from 80-90%? I ask because 90% of 220 gets you around 200 rated miles and some superchargers here in the south are about 170 miles apart when means a 90% charge (at minimum would be nice) to cruise from point a to b. Not sure the time difference in speed of charging from 80-90% but again the $15k difference is hard to justify even if you have to wait around 15 min longer a dozen time or so a year.

im with you there. For the longest time I though I was going for the 90D but I also told myself if the range on the 70 comes in around 220 or more I'll be happy with a 70. I'm curious what options you ordered on your 70D? Also, does anyone know at what percentage supercharger speeds slow down? Is it once charged to 80% or 90%? How fast from 80-90%? I ask because 90% of 220 gets you around 200 rated miles and some superchargers here in the south are about 170 miles apart when means a 90% charge (at minimum would be nice) to cruise from point a to b. Not sure the time difference in speed of charging from 80-90% but again the $15k difference is hard to justify even if you have to wait around 15 min longer a dozen time or so a year.

Here is a link to a chart on Tesla's website Supercharger | Tesla Motors Scroll to the bottom of the page.

put that way, it's a whole 'nother ball game

I was thinking of 90D w/towing vs. 70D w/out at a $16k difference.

over a loan, that's well, easy math, 5 years = $266 / month.

With interest, that's even more monies! for $266/month I can rent a damn suburban and tow what I want...

even now w/my Tahoe, we may hit the lake.. what? 10x a year max? for 3 months? 4 months?

I've found that enterprise commercial rents heavy duty trucks - but I don't think you're allowed to tow with them?!

Of course that $16k could buy a used suburban as well for towing and leave the nice X safely at home :)

put that way, it's a whole 'nother ball game

I was thinking of 90D w/towing vs. 70D w/out at a $16k difference.

over a loan, that's well, easy math, 5 years = $266 / month.

With interest, that's even more monies! for $266/month I can rent a damn suburban and tow what I want...

even now w/my Tahoe, we may hit the lake.. what? 10x a year max? for 3 months? 4 months?

I've found that enterprise commercial rents heavy duty trucks - but I don't think you're allowed to tow with them?!

Of course that $16k could buy a used suburban as well for towing and leave the nice X safely at home :)

Your last point makes a LOT of sense. The choice was made for me, though, when I ordered a Sig.

Martinsburg? I'm at Raystown lake all summer :) Not with the S of course... I need the Tahoe to haul the boat.

But we actually keep a 2005 Mazda Tribute around as well, just to keep the other cars nice. No way I'm spending a day on the water w/some jet skis, then getting into a Model X... I'd rather soak through a seat in a $3k car vs. a $130k car!